Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are 5 cards and a wrapper from the "Killer 7" promo card set (Capcom Co., Ltd., no year but the game was released in 2005), with "Killer 7" being a video game. I've seen 9 different cards and that might be the set. I had seen just five different until a few days ago when I found two more packs. The cards introduce characters from the video game.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #5 from the "Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures" 48-card set (Barratt/Trebor Bassett Ltd./Natural History Museum, 1994) which was inserted one per packet of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures Candysticks in England. They measure 1 3/8 x 2 9/16 inches. The cards have Natural History Museum licensing info and the museum logo on the backs. I don't know if that means the cards were only available in candy packages sold at that museum.

There was also an 8-card "Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures" set that didn't have the Natural History Museum licensing info and logo on the backs. Here's card #2 from that set. They were the same size with the same animal information on the backs, though as you can see, the cards with the same animal don't have the same number.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

The Dinosaur cards were a general issue and were released by Trebor Bassett in their "Barratt" range during the summer of 1994 to take advantage of the public's interest in prehistoric animals that had developed the previous year following the release of the Jurassic Park film. This set of 48 cards was one of many issues that featured Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals following the release of the film. The Candy Sticks confectionary range had been the mainstay of card issues from the Barratt Company for many years and encompassed all sorts of topics. The cards were usually issued 1 per packet in their Sweet Cigarettes confectionery later to become Candy Sticks and it was not unusual to have more than 1 packet per series often in various colours. I have a vague memory of collecting some of their issues from the early 1960's but alas not what the cards were.

The Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures is a set of 48 cards featuring images of authentic reproduction from the National History Museum hencd the copyright appearing on the back of the cards. 47 cards are of the animals themselves whilst the last card is an image of Sir Richard Owen Superintendent of the museum from 1856 until 1883 when he retired. He is the man according to back of his card who came up with the word "dinosaur" which was taken from the Greek - terrible lizard. The packet also features images from cards 28 and 35 front and back.

The second issue of 8 cards in the late summer of 1997 was released rather belatedly to try and be part of the growing interest again of dinosaurs following another Jurassic Park film earlier in the year. \this is probably the reason why these cards may be scarce. It is equally possible that Trebor Bassett intended to issue more cards but were prevented by not having the licence from the Natural History Museum to do so.

The eight cards are as listed below and I have also shown its number from the previous issue
1 Parasaurolophus was previously issued as number 14
2 Triceratops was previously issued as number 5
3 Diplodocus was previously issued as number 3
4 Deinonychus was previously issued as number 1
5 Tyrannosaurus was previously issued as number 35
6 Poiacanthus was previously issued as number 30
7 Stegosaurus was previously issued as number 29
8 Brachiosaurus was previously issued as number 27

I am lucky enough to have both sets as well as a box.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John,

Thanks for the excellent review of the sets. I was hoping you might have more to add. Some of the artwork is by John Sibbick, who is especially well-known for his dinosaur-related work among fans of "paleoart." The Triceratops cards I chose feature a work that is the cover illustration of "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs: An original and compelling insight into life in the dinosaur kingdom" (Salamander Books, Ltd., 1985) by Dr. David Norman, a paleontologist specializing in dinosaurs and related animals.

I have the 8-card set and most of the 48-card set. I have traded fossils with a friend in Hampshire for years. After mentioning I collected dinosaur cards too, he sent me a box with a generous variety of cards and these Barratt cards were among them. I've been thinking of starting a dinosaur card thread though there might be one already that use a restart.

Thanks again,

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card (Action Corporate Services, Inc., 2002) that was inserted one per package of Action 1/64 (scale model) die-cast cars (the one with the Jeff Gordon #24 car). The card back promotes the company's 10th anniversary and provides a phone number to call to join a collectables club. The car packaging provides no mention that a card is included so you have to look closely to see that there is a card in there. I haven't seen another Sesame Street card (but then I also almost overlooked this one at a flea market) so it might be the only one in the set. In the absence of a title, I call the set "Action Sesame Street Cards."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #12 from the 12-card "Cracker Jack: Toon Twosomes Collector Cards" set (Borden Inc., 1997) that was inserted one per package of Cracker Jack snacks. The cards measure 1 1/4 x 1 3/4 and feature Hanna-Barbera animated characters. Of the cards I've seen, most are numbered on the front and back plus I have two without the numbering on the front. A few years ago, I bought a lot that contained mostly ones numbered on the front. The other ones may be variants or part of another set. Here's the checklist for what I have and have seen:

1 of 12 "Tom & Jerry"
2 of 12 "Muttley and Dick Dastardly"
3 of 12 "Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy"
4 of 12 "Magilla Gorilla & Mr. Peebles"
5 of 12 "Dee-Dee & Dexter"; no number on front
6 of 12 "Top Cat & Benny"
6 of 12 "Top Cat & Benny"; different front; no number on front
7 of 12 "Secret Squirrel & Morocco Mole"
8 of 12 "Mr. Twiddle & Wally Gator"
9 of 12 "Quick Draw McGraw& Baba Looey"
10 of 12 "Pixie & Dixie"; no number on front
11 of 12 "Breezly & Sneezly"
12 of 12 "Richochet Rabbit and Droop-A-Long Coyote"

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's promo card #6 (Fat Cat Studios, 1997) for a short-lived publication, "Comic Attractions Magazine," that covered small press comics from around 1996 to 1998. I've seen only one other (more demurely-presented) "Cammie" card so I don't know the set number.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a dual-image lenticular card, "Jonny Quest: The Real Adventures" (Hanna Barbera, 1997), that was an insert in Kentucky Fried Chicken kid's meals. It's a little shorter and a little wider than standard size at 2 9/16 x 3 3/8 inches. It's unnumbered, blank backed, and it promotes an animated TV series of the same name. I don't know if it's part of a set.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo for the graphic novel, "Neil Gaiman & Dave McKean's Violent Cases" (Tundra Publishing Ltd., 1991). It had been published in black and white in 1987 by Escape Books but the Tundra edition was released in full color. As a twist, the promo for it is in black and white. The card measures 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches and is one of the early promo cards I haven't seen in years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a rare 7-card promo set ( KGO Television, 1996-97) for Marine World Africa USA, an amusement park in Vallejo, California. The set was given out at there, sponsored by local Channel 7, KGO television. The park was more wild animal-related back then and is now a much different place with more rides. Since 1996, the park has changed names a few times and has been called "Six Flags Discovery Kingdom" for several years now.

The scan shows the 7 cards plus the back of one of them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These cards don't seem to have an official title. They are just referred to as "exclusive band collector cards" on the back so I call them "Band Collector Cards." They were given out in card packs in kid's meals at Pizza Hut in Australia in 1999 with each measuring 3 x 4 5/16 inches.

There are four 4-card subsets - one per band but some packs also contain an extra "winning card" for a prize (a CD, a signed poster, or a magazine subscription) or a silver or gold card which made you eligible for a drawing to go to a concert. This card is from the Sugar Ray subset. The other bands are Taxiride, Marie Wilson, and Ultra.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is card #2, Faith Hill, from the 10-card Fan Fair 2001 Official Autograph Cards set (2001). They were given out at the 2001 Fan Fair in Nashville and feature photos of country music stars. They are signing cards with space on the backs for autographs. I've seen 3-4 of them over the years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As a follow-up to a post from about a week ago, here's another Cracker Jack: Toon Twosomes card. Unlike most I've seen, which have the card number on the front and back, this one doesn't have the number on the front. It's either a variant or part of a separate set. This one features characters from "Top Cat."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the 3-sticker Jetsons hologram set (Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc., 1990) inserted one per package of Jetsons cereal, a short-lived product on grocery shelves in conjunction with the release of "Jetsons: The Movie." They measure 2 x 2 3/4 inches and have blank backs.

The scan is a little unclear as the stickers are still in their cello-packs.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Jetsons were one of my favourite cartoons in the 1960's. I also have a vague recollection of reading Jetsons comics but I haven't seen one for years.

In the noughties I did get a Cynthia Narcisi commission of the Jetsons in a family group.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My brothers and I liked it too. We watched the reruns in the 70's. Of course, I've exclaimed "Jane, his wife!" a lot because that's a friend's wife's name. Hard to get that theme out of your head even after all these years.

Sometimes, I call one of my brothers, "Tralfaz."

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
The Jetsons were one of my favourite cartoons in the 1960's. I also have a vague recollection of reading Jetsons comics but I haven't seen one for years.

In the noughties I did get a Cynthia Narcisi commission of the Jetsons in a family group.

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one for all those collectors who like oddball comic book promos. This one promotes "Extinctioners," a series started in 1998 by small-press publisher, Vision Comics. It was sent to comic stores and measures 4 1/4 x 6 inches.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one of the Dino Stickers (H-B. Prod. Inc., 1990) from a set of 15. Five were inserted per box of Dino Pebbles cereal (3 subsets). They measure 2 3/8 x 2 3/8. The fronts have black borders and the backs are blank backs. Here is a partial checklist with a scan of the surfing one.

n.n. (lassoing)
n.n. (parachuting)
n.n. (playing soccer)
n.n. (skiing)
n.n. (playing basketball)
n.n. (surfing)
n.n. (on top of Fred)
n.n. (in a boat)
n.n. (on roller skates)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the front and back of a card from the 20-card "Counter Strike: Condition Zero" set which is a promo for the video game of the same name released in March 2004. You received a silver foil 10-card pack as a bonus when you pre-ordered the game. The unnumbered, undated cards do not note the manufacturer. Some of the backs bear text introducing characters and equipment and some preview scenes from the game. They measure 3 x 4 inches and they all have the same front.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The image on the left shows a 4-card subset of a 16-card set of Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters (Cartoon Network/Cheez Whiz, 1996) apparently inserted one per package of Cheez Whiz products in Mexico and/or Argentina. Each card is a dual-image lenticular showing a Hanna-Barbera character and measures 1 9/16 x 1 9/16 inches. When the correct four cards are placed together at the correct angle, they also form an image of a character. This one shows Squiddly Diddly. When I bought these cards, the dealer called him a "purple guy."

The image on the right shows what the back of each card looks like. The text is in Spanish saying "Juega con" which means "Play with") and shows the Cartoon Network and Cheez Whiz logos.