Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Dark Horse Signing Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dark Horse Signing Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Thought I had all of these. Plenty of extras. Some in short supply. Would love to see a list. I grouped them by size as DH had larger cards in the following years.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Todd lists almost all of them in PCE2008. Based on what I've seen, he's missing just three from 2000:

Battlegods
Space Circus
Star Wars Underworld

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
Thought I had all of these. Plenty of extras. Some in short supply. Would love to see a list. I grouped them by size as DH had larger cards in the following years.
Ace

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
About 2002 0r 03 before I had a computer or joined Card Talk.
I purchased a lot of 25 of these Dark Horse signing cards from a Advert in one of the magazines of the time I think that I paid about 50 cents each could of been less
As far as I remember I paid $10.00 for the lot plus shipping
They were all the larger size
I was going to keep them but a NZ collector at the time who collected Dark Horse comics made me an offer that I could not refuse so I flipped them, dont know were they are today
I thought that the designs of these cards was very good and I actually wish that I had not passed them on
A full collection of these cards would be a very desirable item today

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had heard there were other cards from later years but haven't seen them. I hope you post scans or at least provide descriptions at some point.

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
Ace

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can get that many that cheap anymore but most of them still go for just $2-5 each if you keep your eyes open. You might still find a cheap smaller lot because some dealers don't know what they have so they are mixed in with other cards. Sometimes, they are offered as "Dark Horse promos" or just as "art cards." I was lucky to attend most of those cons and then traded with Glenn right after to get some I missed and picked up a few at WonderCon. Jim Silke still had some of the Bettie Page cards at shows he set up at later.

I think some comic book collectors hung onto the cards they picked up, especially the signed ones, because they are directly related to the comics so some of the rarer ones haven't been recirculated much. There are also collectors who specialize in Dark Horse comics and any of the promo stuff the company gave out.

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
About 2002 0r 03 before I had a computer or joined Card Talk.
I purchased a lot of 25 of these Dark Horse signing cards from a Advert in one of the magazines of the time I think that I paid about 50 cents each could of been less
As far as I remember I paid $10.00 for the lot plus shipping
They were all the larger size
I was going to keep them but a NZ collector at the time who collected Dark Horse comics made me an offer that I could not refuse so I flipped them, dont know were they are today
I thought that the designs of these cards was very good and I actually wish that I had not passed them on
A full collection of these cards would be a very desirable item today

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an elusive Dark Horse signing card from the first series - given out at the San Diego Comic-Con in 1997. This one promotes Dark Horse Comics' English language translation of the Japanese manga series, "Blade of the Immortal." I collected them from the beginning but didn't even know what this one looked like until last year.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another almost-impossible-to-find Dark Horse signing card from 1997. This one promotes the first issue of "Black Cross: Dirty Work" comic. I hadn't even seen this one until last year as well though I had a feeling that was the artwork.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another rare one, "Starship Troopers: Insect Touch." Also from the 1997 set, it's the the last of the cards I had not seen until last year. It promotes a short comic series of the same name published that year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a page that shows various Dark Horse signing cards that are "Star Wars"-related. It shows all the ones Todd listed in PCE2008 but it's also missing one not in PCE, "Star Wars: Underworld." However, it also shows one I've never seen before, "Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back Infinities" (bottom row, middle card). Check it out:

http://www.andydukes.co.uk/dh.htm#Signing

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed some recent sales including one lot of 12 Star Wars-related Dark Horse signing cards selling for just under $20. As I noted earlier in this thread, when these cards were originally given out, many collectors tried to pick as many of the Star Wars ones as possible thinking those would be the valuable ones. Well, not really so far. Because nearly everybody thought that way, there always seemed to be some for sale or you didn't have to wait that long for more to surface. It's best to wait for a lot like that because the per card average is usually around $2. Sometimes, a single has sold for $5-8 and that's a higher level than they had been selling at over the past several years so demand might be catching up to supply after all these years.

I also noticed a Usagi Yojimbo card signed and with a sketch by Stan Sakai sold for $15 and another seller is trying to get $50. I've been wondering if the signed cards with sketches would go up in value at some point with all the current interest in autographs and sketches and it may be starting to happen. A lot fewer of his cards have come up for sale than the Star Wars ones.

I think when collectors learn that other artists like Sergio Aragones also signed and sketched some of their cards, you'll see similar bumps in value for those especially since I've seen fewer of his cards offered over the years as well.