Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flea market find
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Last fall, I found some promos at a local flea market. It wasn't a huge find but I got some semi-uncommon ones for 25-50 cents each. I had only about $12 on me and not much time because I had a family gathering to go to (squeezing in a quick pass through the flea). The dealer is a nice couple who've been selling sports/non-sports for at least 20 years but are now trying to unload a bunch of stuff - everything was 75% off. I think it was the year before that they had a feeding frenzy because they found some old Garbage Pail Kids sealed boxes in storage.

This was the same dealer who had told me two years ago that they had sold out of non-sport promos. This time, I stopped at their tables and decided to look to see if they had any oddball sports promos and noticed a whole row of non-sport promos they must've forgotten about. I bought the following

Dragonball Z (1995) holofoil (hard-to-find when you're looking for it - $3-5 card
Chips cards - Saw Whet Owl (oddball skip-numbered prototype for a set never released)
NSU "You have Doubles" card ($3-5 card)
Benchwarmer (1992) 4 of 9
Sannco unnumbered card
Hercules (1996) Topps ($3-5 card)
Rare & Endangered Species (1992, Collectible Imagery) - Grey Wolf ($5 card)
Spider-Man Mcfarlane Era
Marvel Universe - Silver Sable ($3 card)
In-Line Motorcycles prototypes 05, 06
Street Fighter SF1 ($3-5 card)
Comic ball 2 4-card promo set ($6-8 set)
Coca-Cola Sprint Phone cards/Cels - "Zeit fur Coca Cola" cel (I hadn't seen this one before - probably the find of the group)

Along with those added to the pile were a sealed copy of Collect (Star Trek issue with Marvel Universe Cards 4-card sheet) and 2 Ultraprints case cards (Random, Cable) from X-Men Ultra 95. I got all of that for 12 bucks. They had more promos that I could have bought if I had had more money and time (Olympics set from 1991). They haven't been at that flea market since though it was rained out the past two months.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4393 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Nice Find, Jess.The Grey wolf and Coca-Cola cards are definitely uncommon. I can't find anything at the flea market anymore.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Promoking. I forgot to mention that another card in the lot is a Mars Attacks #56 card which shows art from the wrapper of the original 1962 set. It's not dated but it says on the back that it's an "Official Mars Attacks Reprint" with Renata Galasso, Inc. as the company. Was this just the last card in the reprint set or was it some kind of bonus or promo card?

I vaguely remember this set as it was still offered by a few dealers in magazine ads in the mid-90's. It was from 1984 and there were 3 overprinted cards that were stamped as "Sample" on the back. You could get a 56-card sample version of the set as well (promo for some dealers?). It's just that I've seen at least one seller offer the reprint set with just 55 cards and don't recall if the #56 card was some kind of extra card.

Jess

Posts: 4393 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Local flea markets started reopening in the spring and I've even seen some cards but haven't found any I wanted until recently. One seller had a binder of miscellaneous trading cards and I flipped through it getting almost to the last page when I came upon five of the Jurassic Park/Kenner toy promos. They were a buck a piece and included one of the high-number blue-bordered ones. Good find.

Sellers try to get $10 or more for singles, but they tend to actually sell for $3-6 each. If you're patient, some offer lots of 10 or more in that range and there might be a couple of the blue ones mixed in. Sometimes you see one of the toys and a blue-bordered card sell for $30 or more and two have gone for over $60 recently. I assume some high numbers are rarer than others so those are cases of someone willing to splurge to get closer to finishing the set.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Those higher numbers are definitely hard to get. Great find especially these days.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can't imagine that anyone is paying $60-80 for the loose toy. They are not flashy toys, some being cheap metal (I know because I have some); some plastic and not as scientifically-accurate as some of the high-end dinosaur toys/models you can find. I assume some collectors want the cards to get them signed or just because the cards are limited and neither Sam Neill, Laura Dern, nor Jeff Goldblum are on many other cards.

Goldblum has picked up more of a following in recent years from his great talk show appearances, his album, and his own show, "The World According to Jeff Goldblum."

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Those higher numbers are definitely hard to get. Great find especially these days.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have never collected the Jurassic Kenner cards, as there are just so many.

I saw two recent auctions in which the sellers had about a dozen each of the blue cards, and the lots sold for $ 80 and $ 100. I guess people are really into Jurassic Park !

Also, I noticed that Todd listed in PCE that 8 cards between # 35 and 60 do not exist and were never issued. I wonder how he determined that ? Anyone know ?

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
You're only into Jurassic Park until the dinosaurs find you...

...then you're in the dinosaurs.

Posts: 2508 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there are people trying to build that set. It's tough and the cards aren't always in great shape even right out of the packaging. With some of the toys, you could get two cards inserted but some have just one card. Over the years since '93 though, you could find bargains on singles or lots if you watched for them.

Someone determined the nonexistent cards years ago. It might've been confirmed by Kenner. There's at least one website that covers it.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I have never collected the Jurassic Kenner cards, as there are just so many.

I saw two recent auctions in which the sellers had about a dozen each of the blue cards, and the lots sold for $ 80 and $ 100. I guess people are really into Jurassic Park !

Also, I noticed that Todd listed in PCE that 8 cards between # 35 and 60 do not exist and were never issued. I wonder how he determined that ? Anyone know ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to the same local flea market today and had a good find this time too with a different seller. He had some video games, toys and cards. A kid was looking through his Pokemon when I spotted part of a cello-pack in the case and asked him about it. He said it was promo pack and showed it to me. It was an unopened "Olympic Innovator's Collection" promo pack (3M, 1991). The first time I seen any of the cards was as an entry in Bill DeFranzo's trade list back in the late 90's. I saw a couple of the cards later but not a pack. The seller wanted only a buck for it. Quick sale.

I hadn't seen a pack for sale in recent years but noticed that there is a pack available for $10 now along with a few singles (roughly $3-15 each). The pack is sometimes said to contain four cards but it has five (a header plus one each to honor Dick Fosbury, Sonja Henie, Kip Keino, and Olga Korbut).

Here's an image of the front and back of the pack found online. I'll open the pack and get an image of all the cards this week.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Earlier this month, I went to a flea market outside my area. There was actually a seller who had a big box of promos. Most of it was sports but with some Star Pics, Skybox, and River Group stuff as well. I saw some of those Star Pics 8-card sheets with the sports cards and a Twin Peaks card and some of the 4-card panels with the SNL, Playboy, Dino cards and All My Children cards. From River Group he had a bunch of Elvis Collection 4-card strips, most being a little beat-up. I already have the two different ones but bought one of those.

I also picked up two "Barbie Fashion Flip" promos (The River Group, 1993). It's an oddball 3 1/2 x 5-inch card that folds out and flips out along two perforated lines on the front showing a different Barbie outfit combination when you flip each of the three pieces with more outfit combos on an inner page that is also a 3-way flip-out revealing text about Barbie living her life. The card is a promo for a Barbie set that came out in 1993 but there isn't any promotional text announcing nor describing the set which I thought was weird. It does say "promo" on the back and the set has been said to have similar "fashion flips." I picked up one for Todd because I don't think he has one. You see sellers try to get $5-15 for one because you don't always see it for sale but then a lot of them were sent out in a dealer pack back when it was new so you should be able to find one for 2 or 3 bucks.

The best find in the box was an American Vintage Cycles Series 2 FC-3 2-card prototype panel. It's two FC-3 chase cards showing Jerry Glanville but it's stamped "Unfinished Skybox Prototype" on the back. The corners are a little bumped but it's a rare sight these days.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wandered a local flea market last weekend and saw some cards for sale. One dealer had a binder full of cards. Most of them were from the SuperStars MusiCards set (Pro Set, 1991) but there were also a lot of cards from the Bikini Open set (T&M Entertainment, 1992) plus some Rockstreet promos in between that were inserted with copies of the same-name magazine in the early 90's. He wanted $40 for it. It seemed high especially since the SuperStars set is so big with all the variants so it wasn't close to even a set with few of the variants. Anyway, I passed on it. I was more interested in what he wanted for the Rockstreets, but after getting back home, it looks like I already have all the ones he had.

The one thing I did pick from a different seller was a Johnny Lightning car. It was still in the package though it was a bit beat up. It's from the Coca-Cola Calendar Girl Series, each car packed with a card - 12 different cards. The cards show art from various Coca-Cola calendars dating from the 1920's to the 1950's from what I've seen so far. The cards are also different sizes/shapes. This one measures 2 1/2 x 2 3/4.