Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
LEAVING

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/8107042576

August 31, 2015, 11:45 AM
Raven
LEAVING
What about the Star Wars promo cards for The Force Awakens that are seeded in 3 or 4 other Star Wars products prior to the new release? They are not picking up in chase sets as far as I know, but they have different cards and different looks. There are even some that are much rarer because they have a matted finish instead of glossy.

The thing is, there are many collectors who think this is a great idea, that the promos should be there. I myself liked the Penny Dreadful tarot promos enough to buy the NSU series and I don't even collect promos, but I will be doing the set.

This stuff is a double edged sword and it's up to collectors to establish the balance. New ideas keep the hobby moving forward, but some ideas are producing negative reactions and in some cases overreactions. I just say have fun with it and make the choices that are right for you. I would never stop collecting cards and autographs, but there are some things I have dropped because I don't like a particular trend and I won't contribute to its success. That's all I can do as an individual card collector.
August 31, 2015, 12:20 PM
Tommy C
Can you give more info on what these Star Wars promos are ?

I am familiar with just the 4 "common" cards in the Lando SDCC comic
August 31, 2015, 01:59 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Can you give more info on what these Star Wars promos are ?

I am familiar with just the 4 "common" cards in the Lando SDCC comic

I'm no expert on Star Wars. I get a couple of boxes now and then looking for signatures and usually have a base set or two. Most of my info comes from the internet and other Card Talk posts.

For the promos, check out the Box Breakdowns section under Chrome Perspectives and Revenge of the Sith. There are a couple of pictures of them and some conversation between me and Ed and CPF about the distribution. Not sure if the promos are mentioned in other threads, but they might be. The rare matted promos are the ones I thought were too much, but that's just me. Wink

Just seen some more about them in the New Promo section too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
August 31, 2015, 03:50 PM
Tommy C
Ah, yes, I see. The 8 promos that come in chrome format in the new SW Chrome set are apparently chrome versions of the 8 Heritage promos that came in the Empire Strikes Back Illustrated set in the spring and the 4 from the Lando SDCC comic
August 10, 2020, 10:18 AM
pcetodd
My advice to those leaving the promo hobby....KEEP THEM! Put them in a safe place and forget about them. I sold my collection some years back and today I kick myself in the teeth for doing so. I have to start all over now.

DONT SELL OUT!
August 10, 2020, 10:45 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
My advice to those leaving the promo hobby....KEEP THEM! Put them in a safe place and forget about them. I sold my collection some years back and today I kick myself in the teeth for doing so. I have to start all over now.

DONT SELL OUT!

Sound advice for all card collectors of any persuasion, not just promo collectors.

Everything runs in cycles, including the way we think. We get excited, engaged, bored, disappointed, disillusioned, disgusted, walk away, and then we find something to get excited about again. Often we come back to the first thing we were excited about. I've been through about 5 second childhoods myself. Big Grin

If you have card collections that you have carefully kept up for years and years, don't get rid of them just because you are not actively buying anymore. There has to be other solid reasons why you must sell them besides your lack of interest. You need money badly, you have to move and have no room, your wife is threatening to divorce you. Stuff like that. Wink

If you have a large collection, chances are you will get pennies back on the dollars you spent. All your card memories will be gone and should the flame ever rekindle, as it often does, you will have to start from scratch. It's not necessary to break up your collection because you may be leaving for awhile. In five years it may all look good to you again and you will be able to catch up if you want to. You will then regret not having those original cards that you may never find again. I've heard many people say that and know more that won't admit it.

Don't cash in your chips unless you absolutely have to do it. There is another second childhood around the bend. Smile