Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    List of all Inkworks Promos
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List of all Inkworks Promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven,

You are correct. Also, Inkworks did "The Spirit" cards in 2008, and that movie was a total flop. Probably meant that no one bought the cards

Furthermore, Inkworks released some promos and DVD cards for "Spiderwick Chronicles", another fantasy movie, around this time, but the actual card set itself was cancelled.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Also, Inkworks did "The Spirit" cards in 2008, and that movie was a total flop. Probably meant that no one bought the cards

Yep, The Spirit is/was unwatchable. I tried to see it on DVD and it made my head hurt. Even the look of it is awful.

Most on the Spirit autograph cards wound up in Razor Ink boxes after the liquidation because they were all redemptions. The card boxes didn't have a chance. The cards looked terrible because the scenes were filmed terrible. And a set with all auto redemptions won't sell boxes.

So with Golden Compass, The Seeker and The Spirit coming back to back to back, they had to cancel Spiderwick Chronicles, which would have been another disaster anyway. When's the last time anyone talked about that one. Big Grin

And the true irony is that right around this same time, Inkworks had the license for the first Twilight, but couldn't put enough into the set, just costume cards, no autos. So they couldn't get dealers to buy it and had to discount. But the movie was a smash and the card boxes and costumes went through the roof. Only it was the few people who ordered that got the re-sale money, Inksworks itself probably lost money on the one big hit that they had in the last two years.

And that folks, is how you go out of business, among other things they did wrong. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven,

I think in the mid to late 2000s, as a result of the money made by the the "Lord of the Rings" films, you started seeing all of these fantasy world knock offs, hoping to replicate the success of LOTR. You still see films like this coming out now and then, like the recent "Wrinkle in Time" which was not a hit.

I guess you can add to the list those 3 "Narnia" movies and the 2 "Percy Jackson" films, as well.

Sort of like we had in the 1980s, when you had the rash of fantasy films like Krull, Labyrinth, Willow, Dark Crystal, Legend, The Princess Bride, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Inkworks Promo cards added to my collection over the last 6 months
Family Guy New Hope CL1
Firefly CL1
Graffiti Name Change of #255 of 500
Jericho J1-SD2007
Jurassic Park CL1
Lost in Space WM1 joined pair
Lost in Space SP1
Lost in Space GM-1 GM-4
Looney Tunes CL1
Men in Black No # Signed Promo
Men in Black Box Set BL1-BL3 Retail
Men in Black Box Set BL1-BL3 Hobby
Mummy Returns K Mart P1-P9 Uncut Sheet
Seeker CL1
Supernatural 3 Box Set
Simpsons Golden Card CL1
Smallville 1 A2
Smallville 6 CL1
Scooby Doo CO 4 signatures
Scooby Doo CO 1 signature
Scorpion King BB1
X Files Conn Box Set
X Files I want to b Box Set
James Bond tomorrow Never Dies Not a Winner
competition card
I am gradually getting my Inkworks Promo wants
list smaller but getting harder to find some of them now,but I will keep on looking.

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Wow, you are doing really well. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wolfie not many to go now , but getting harder and costlier to find even though some of them are not scarce.

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Piko,
Let me know what you're still missing. I will dig into my stash for you.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Albert I have a latest wants list Up on the trading page anything Inkworks from it will be appreciated I have been offered one lot from Billzee but at the moment are having trouble with the N Z Tax Dept over Tax Eg having to pay tax on traded goods they are unreal .
I have also picked up Supernatural 2 Renegades set since I have put my list up , must cross that one off
Ross

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Piko,

You picked up a lot of Inkworks cards last year. I picked up just a few.

I saw you mention that the NZ government is trying to figure out how to tax you on a trade. By definition you are exchanging items of essentially equal value (both sides agreeing) so there is no profit to tax. With the right price guide you might even be able to show a loss in the deal. Would you get tax credit for that?

Maybe the NZ Tax Dept, like any bureaucracy, just needs a form filled out even if it just states that you are paying the mandated percentage of zero value. There might be no tax but you'll be fined if you don't fill out the form.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Thanks Albert I have a latest wants list Up on the trading page anything Inkworks from it will be appreciated I have been offered one lot from Billzee but at the moment are having trouble with the N Z Tax Dept over Tax Eg having to pay tax on traded goods they are unreal .
I have also picked up Supernatural 2 Renegades set since I have put my list up , must cross that one off
Ross

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
How does the Government know you are doing a trade with someone? Confused

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Latest Cracker joke!

When is a Trading Card not a Trading Card?

When it is received at New Zealand's Customs Dept.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is were it gets tricky , they dont ,and they dont care.
The whole situation is controlled by the N Z Postal systems overseas forwarding offices in China Europe and USA who from Dec 1 2019 started collecting the tax on the Govts behalf , So for every parcel forwarded to you they have to have a downloaded copy of the Pay Pal order confirmed receipt wich in itself is a failure as receipts are sent in different formats and they will only accept one format ,wich in itself holds everything up in having to change formats.
I have been in contact with all departments and they are all passing the buck.
Post office are demanding a receipt for everything regardless of wether it has been paid for or not ,I cannot get it into their heads that no money has been paid so no receipt can be forwarded. They still insist it has a value,so it has to have tax paid when I ask why should I pay tax on something I have not paid for thats when it gets tricky they dont know. Then refer me back to the Tax Dept
Tax Dept say it is not their concern and say it is up to the Post Office to use the system as they like.
On going back to the PO and trying to explain this they put their head in the sand and referred me to NZ Customs who said that they were not interested in anything under $1000.00
but gave me some information wich I will relate back to the PO on Monday as today is Sunday so I hope to have this farce tidied up tomorrow .
This situation is only in the POs overseas forwarding offices and not with the PO overall.
I can use ordinary International shipping wich will negate all this but at a cost of Literally ten to fifteen $ extra shipping per parcel and $1 US = $1.60 NZ approx.
( talk about cracker jokes this a whole stand up comedy episode )

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you are trading promo cards, you would be justified in declaring that they have zero value especially if any happen to say they are "not for sale," or "Promo," or "Promotional" or "For Review Only." Cards from cereal boxes, magazines, or other products have zero value because they were free with the product that you were paying for - the item that has all the value.

You could fight fire with fire when the PO directs you to NZ Customs and then NZ Customs sends you back to the PO. You tell each one that zero is a real number and therefore it is a real value and that is the value of your cards and you understand that you are bound by law to pay that value and they are bound by that same law to collect that value. You fill out the form and write a zero where the value is to be entered and then ask if you are done.

You could add that the tax system laws you are trying to abide by has put you in a financial position that you can only afford to trade cards that have zero value. In that case it might turn out that you are eligible for government-supported financial assistance that will allow you to trade cards that have some dollar value and therefore contribute to the revenue that had been anticipated.

However, it sounds like you might be near the end of your ordeal anyway.

Jess

quote:
This is were it gets tricky , they dont ,and they dont care.
The whole situation is controlled by the N Z Postal systems overseas forwarding offices in China Europe and USA who from Dec 1 2019 started collecting the tax on the Govts behalf , So for every parcel forwarded to you they have to have a downloaded copy of the Pay Pal order confirmed receipt wich in itself is a failure as receipts are sent in different formats and they will only accept one format ,wich in itself holds everything up in having to change formats.
I have been in contact with all departments and they are all passing the buck.
Post office are demanding a receipt for everything regardless of wether it has been paid for or not ,I cannot get it into their heads that no money has been paid so no receipt can be forwarded. They still insist it has a value,so it has to have tax paid when I ask why should I pay tax on something I have not paid for thats when it gets tricky they dont know. Then refer me back to the Tax Dept
Tax Dept say it is not their concern and say it is up to the Post Office to use the system as they like.
On going back to the PO and trying to explain this they put their head in the sand and referred me to NZ Customs who said that they were not interested in anything under $1000.00
but gave me some information wich I will relate back to the PO on Monday as today is Sunday so I hope to have this farce tidied up tomorrow .
This situation is only in the POs overseas forwarding offices and not with the PO overall.
I can use ordinary International shipping wich will negate all this but at a cost of Literally ten to fifteen $ extra shipping per parcel and $1 US = $1.60 NZ approx.
( talk about cracker jokes this a whole stand up comedy episode )

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jess
I have already been down the Promo Not for Sale line but no there just a dont know .
I dont think that the Govt is very interested in giving free stuff (lol)
Customs have given me info to ask for Parcel numbers who is getting the tax etc then fill out the forms for relief from tax .But tomorrow I am going to ask for the hieracy not deal with the peons. Also living in a remote area of NZ dosent help I am about a hundred miles from everything here but hope to sort it out tomorrow.
Phone conversations only dont help i would rather be face to face but it is what it is
Thanks

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You're out there in a remote part of New Zealand. Are you on one of those islands with the tuataras? You would think you're beyond the reach of the tentacles of government bureaucracy, but no. The tax man has a helicopter and the best hiking shoes. I'm sorry you are dealing with the runaround. All you want to do is trade some cards with some Americans and somebody just had to manufacture a way to turn your hobby into a headache.

Jess

quote:
Thanks for the info Jess
I have already been down the Promo Not for Sale line but no there just a dont know .
I dont think that the Govt is very interested in giving free stuff (lol)
Customs have given me info to ask for Parcel numbers who is getting the tax etc then fill out the forms for relief from tax .But tomorrow I am going to ask for the hieracy not deal with the peons. Also living in a remote area of NZ dosent help I am about a hundred miles from everything here but hope to sort it out tomorrow.
Phone conversations only dont help i would rather be face to face but it is what it is
Thanks

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'm still not getting this. Are you saying that if i send you let's say a birthday card with some cards in it that they will not deliver to your house or is the problem that the item has trading cards written on the front of it and alerts them to the contents.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No Wolfie this is only through the Post Offices international parcel forwarding offices wich do not handle PWE only anything over letter weight.
I use the system to save big money on shipping as they have a parcel combining system of up to Ten parcels EG A parcel costs $5 to deliver through them By combining ten I pay for up to say $20 including fees thus saving $30 , I now still have to pay the tax on the value of the contents but that is ok I try to organise a months worth of parcels so basically get a months worth of parcels in one delivery
This saves me big money.Also the shipper in USA only has to pay for internal shipping .
But they now have to have a uploaded Pay Pal order confirmed receipt before they will process or accept shipping costs otherwise after a certain time the parcel will be R T S at my cost, To them every parcel has a value and they want the tax for it regardless.
There is no provision for parcels with no value or have goods in them that you have not paid for EG free promotional items. Yes I think that the customs douane lable description has something to do with it but these are small bubble envelopes not PWEs.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Ah right i'm with it now. We have started to send cards in normal letter envelopes or taped in birthday cards to get round all this rubbish. My post office said the other day that the minute i put something in a bubble envelope other systems kick in and the price goes up automatically whatever the size and weight.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yahoo it only took 5 minutes with a boss .
YODA has spoken only time will tell.
The sender has to send me an E Mail in receipt form saying that no money was paid for this article
price paid $0.00
Then I upload it as a receipt to the article that You Shop holds for me.
Ok we will soon see what happens.
Might get nipped for shipping but can handle that.
Wonder why nobody could make a decision probably when you pay peanuts

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I don't see that anyone has mentioned the 1998 BP1 Bettie Page, facsimilie autograph card or the genuine one signed by Bettie. I have one of each.
I know these are very rare and should have probably been mentioned in the "10 rarest promo cards post", had I known they existed when I started that post years ago.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post