Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    List of all Inkworks Promos
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List of all Inkworks Promos
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I don't see that anyone has mentioned the 1998 BP1 Bettie Page, facsimilie autograph card or the genuine one signed by Bettie. I have one of each.
I know these are very rare and should have probably been mentioned in the "10 rarest promo cards post", had I known they existed when I started that post years ago.

Promoking

Could you please post some images for us to see.

Many thanks

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I would like to, but since Photobucket did what they did, I haven't known how to post pictures. I can, however, take pictures and email them to you to post for me. My email is:
promoking@aol.com

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I cannot find the JP3-A promo for Jurassic Park 3 - seem to see every other one but not that one

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I cannot find the JP3-A promo for Jurassic Park 3 - seem to see every other one but not that one

Hammer it is there as below~:-

JP3-4 U.K. Exclusive Jurassic Park III Jurassic Park III 3D 2001
JP3-A General Distribution Jurassic Park III Jurassic Park III 3D 2001
JP3D-1 General Distribution Jurassic Park III Jurassic Park III 3D 2001
JP3SD-2001 San Diego Comic Con 2001 Jurassic Park III Jurassic Park III 3D 2001

What the listing does not tell you is how it was distributed which was as follows:-

Distribution at Ames Department Stores in a 6 card cello-pack with 5 regular cards.

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very very hard to get i nearly missed mine as it was only advertised as a Ames Jurassic Park pack not as in the catalogue as JP3A .
I have only seen one for sale and it cost me I think about $55 wich is a lot but the way that they were distributed seems that like all other give aways they were just casually discarded, the other cards in the pack were
I do not think that you will see a single card for sale for a long time into the future
The card has a large White Ames printed on the bottom of the card the other five cards are from the base set
I do not know wether they are all the same or different but my pack has a coloured card with Stomp & Chomp on it as the last card.
Sorry but i dont know how to post pictures

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that information, that explains why I haven't got it. I'm down to the difficult ones.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
First, I want to apologize to AWR for hijacking his thread this way and,
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Thanks for that information, that explains why I haven't got it. I'm down to the difficult ones.

I smiled when I read your comment Hammer, because it exemplifies the journey I have also experienced. When I decided years ago, to focus on collecting promo cards, I never thought the road would be so difficult. For many years, my collection kept growing with the help of PCE and a determined attitude. By the time the latest PCE had been published, I had already come to the realization that there existed thousands of additional promo cards not listed there.

By around 10 years ago, I had already found about 80 to 85 percent of all the promo cards discussed in PCE. so, finding the "difficult" ones, around 800 to 1,000 cards, became the focus of my hunt. I can honestly tell you that it has been exciting!!

To feed my passion, I started looking through old publications, scouring the internet, reaching out to (oh no!!) sports card dealers, trading with fellow collectors etc.. Yet, for all my efforts, I could only find a few dozen of the missing promos cards during each of the following years. Undaunted, I persevered in my quest only to realize about 5 years ago that no matter how hard I looked, regardless of how much I was willing to spend, the last few hundred listed cards were nowhere to be found.

It had nothing to do with money or the presumed popularity of the product. Some were as arcane as could be and others were from wildly popular releases. Regardless, I was stuck and couldn't add nearly as many promo cards to my stash as I had been used to. I became frustrated but remained just as stubborn.

In fact, Something very interesting occurred. Instead of despairing and throwing my hands up, I redoubled my efforts by shifting focus away from retail and instead began buying collections or parts of them. Sometimes I rented U-Hauls, driving thousands of miles (God bless my wife for accompanying me) to parts unknown and returning to our warehouse with a truck full of treasures. Of course, the fun was picking out the few and far between cards these former collectors had in their collections but which I was still missing.

I'm now down to looking for about 80 to 125 cards out of the "8000 promotional cards" listed in PCE. The reason I can't be exact is because I'm still finding unlisted promo cards for issues with sets already addressed in PCE and candidly, I do not advertise which cards I am TRULY missing for concern over being offered overpriced cards or unfair trade deals. Along the way, I have also discovered thousands of additional undocumented promo cards of all genres, many of which have been discussed in a separate thread on this forum.

So, Hammer, I am very familiar with the proverbial wall you are hitting. That AMES Jurassic Park promo is a perfect example. It belongs to a well known release but that specific promo came as an unidentified header card in an otherwise sealed pack of regular JP cards. There are so many more promo cards in that category that are lurking out there just under the nose of the unknowing .

Nowadays, I consider myself very lucky if I find 10 promo cards a year that I need to finish acquiring every promo card listed in PCE. At this pace, I'm looking at another 10 years of searching!! Maybe I should have stuck to collecting autograph and sketch cards ... But YOU should not give up.

I would say that 70 percent of the promo cards listed in PCE range from relatively easy to moderately difficult to find today. the next 20 percent of the listed cards vary from scarce to very rare but they're out there and with patience, astute sleuthing and some luck, you will find what you seek. Then come the last 10 percent and that's where the challenge really begins..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Promoking has asked me to post the following images of the Inkworks Bettie Page card.

Firstly the back:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Next is the front with a facsimile Gold Autograph:-

and lastly is an Autographed front in Silver sharpie:-

Many thanks to Promoking for allowing us to see these cards.

regards

John

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well i can honestly say i have never seen those before, very nice, thanks for posting.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:

I smiled when I read your comment Hammer, because it exemplifies the journey I have also experienced. When I decided years ago, to focus on collecting promo cards,
I would say that 70 percent of the promo cards listed in PCE range from relatively easy to moderately difficult to find today. the next 20 percent of the listed cards vary from scarce to very rare but they're out there and with patience, astute sleuthing and some luck, you will find what you seek. Then come the last 10 percent and that's where the challenge really begins..

Hey, it's part of the "wonderful" journey - just when you think you've got them - another one appears - Just like those Bettie Page promo's Eek Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures John, I appreciate it sir.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What is the saying just when i thought i had them covered another one pops up.
were did these Bettie Page ones come from, This really has burst my bubble but as said you learn something new every day
Now I have to look for them
Any indication on rarity or price

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
about 80 to 125 cards out of the 8000

Promoking what an effort that is amazing and I hope you achieve your goal.
But as you say down to the hard ones now
Money dosent count if they are not out there

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hammer

Just in case you need to see images of JP3-A

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think someone on the board brought up these cards before but I've never seen one either. I don't think I've seen that first photo of Bettie Page before.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
well i can honestly say i have never seen those before, very nice, thanks for posting.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Hammer

Just in case you need to see images of JP3-A

regards

John

I want the Bl@@@y card LOL - Many thanks for Image

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Responding to Promoking's comments about the hunt for obscure promos listed in PCE without including the quote...At the end of every year and especially over the past several years, I wonder if I'm going to find a lot more promos I'd like to have. My quest isn't on the same scale as Promoking. I'm not hunting down everything in PCE and don't need everything in a large set. I'm content to pick up a card here and there as time goes by. That's usually how it has to be done anyway.

Yes, doing some research helps, going through old publications and contacting sports card dealers can help find a few things. However, it isn't just about search for cards you want. It's the previously-unknown stuff you can run into just doing standard searches online. Sometimes, sellers know they have something unusual and think it's worth its weight in gold; sometimes they'll let it go cheap because they do know the market for obscure comic book cards, for example. Part of the fun of promo cards is finding a cool-looking card that isn't in any of the guides and the seller wants just a couple of bucks for it. It keeps me from being discouraged about what I'm not finding.

Sellers sometimes list cards incorrectly, not even noting that a card is a promo. If I don't recognize a card or notice that it looks a little different, I check it out. I found an oddball Mr. Bean card I wasn't looking for that way last year.

The cards Promoking, and presumably others, tend to be hunting are small publisher promos that might have been given out at local shows or even those from larger early 90's shows. They can also be those that were inserted in comic books largely unknown to all but the collectors who have a little of everything from the 90's. There are also the oddball cards that you could get if you bought a poster or purchased a ticket to a movie most people didn't see or happened to eat at Dairy Queen the right week. So many other cards have back stories that seem to have been lost to time until you happen to run into someone who knows what you have or at least has a little more info.

The thing about PCE is that it contains listings from collectors around the world who submitted info and cards to Todd on top of all the cards he found himself. Anyone who has collected cards for 15-20 or more years is going to have a few oddball things because you were at the right show at the right time or a friend traded or gave you an extra of something he got by chance. PCE is the compilation of all the commons, uncommons, and all the individual weird lucky things encountered all over the country and points beyond.

A U-Haul truck full of cards is hard for me to imagine but Promoking has a warehouse too? Is the only way in a seemingly-blocked off road that winds through a forest and into a mountain? I want to go to there.

I understand that advertising your wants can invite overpriced offers but a lot of collectors aren't into the hard sell and would happily trade their old oddball comic book cards for the Outlander or Star Wars (or whatever) cards you picked up in a lot.

When I think about it, Todd did print little blank boxes next to each entry so we could use the guide as a checklist. Some people were going to take that as a challenge.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John
do you only have the Ames card as a single if you got it as a pack and opened it could you put up the nunbers and what they are of the rest of the cards in the pack
Thanks very much

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Jess,
I might call it a warehouse but some others may refer to it as a large storage unit. Regardless, it is an off site enclosed and secure area where I keep a large amount of trading cards.
And by the way, of course you are welcome to come by and visit when you are down in my neck of the woods.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Promoking what an effort that is amazing and I hope you achieve your goal.
But as you say down to the hard ones now
Money dosent count if they are not out there[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Piko. I guess I have been extremely passionate about collecting cards.