Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Conformation of Preview promos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Conformation of Preview promos
 Login/Join
 
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
In 1994 Comic Images released a set of cards called Previews. They came either as a boxed set numbered D1 to D20 (according to Todd's PCE). I believe that I have the lot in all formats, singles, two card strips and 4xblocks. I have D1 to D4 in a four card block, and D5 & D6 as a two card strip, D7 to D10 as a four card block, D11 to D14 as a four card block, D15 to D18 as a four card block and D19 & D20 as a two card strip.. Todd’s PCE says that D19 & D20 are also in refractor chrome. I would like to know if that is the only way they come (along with D5 & D6 incidentally) as I have never seen these cards in plain format.
Can anyone comment?

____________________
My dog is a RotweillerXLabrador. He'll bite your leg off but he'll always bring it back to you.
 
Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have the box set and cards 5, 6 19 and 20 are indeed chrome, i would not have said refractor, they just look like normal chrome cards to me.

I have never seen non chrome ones and can't really see why they would have made any.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28650 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Timing is everything. I just got the boxed set last week and it was here on my desk when I read your post. I've been curious as whether these cards were issued individually or if the singles were cut from panals. From the box: the set contains 16 reg cards and 4 chromium cards. Also included 1 surprise hologram bonus card ( Bernie Wrightson Holo Frankenstein)No mention of refractors. The box also says the cards "have been cut & trimmed to trading card size". It says it's Card Set #1. I'll try and scan the box for you.
 
Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lag30240:
Timing is everything. I just got the boxed set last week and it was here on my desk when I read your post. I've been curious as whether these cards were issued individually or if the singles were cut from panals. From the box: the set contains 16 reg cards and 4 chromium cards. Also included 1 surprise hologram bonus card ( Bernie Wrightson Holo Frankenstein)No mention of refractors. The box also says the cards "have been cut & trimmed to trading card size". It says it's Card Set #1. I'll try and scan the box for you.


That is really really annoying that statement from CI "have been cut & trimmed to trading card size". It gives collectors no confidence that anyone can take a four card block and simply cut them up to singles with a pair of scissors. If manufactures are doing that then anyone can do it.

Anyway, at least I now know that D5,6,19 & 20 only came in chrome format. Just in passing, although the Frankenstein holo did come with the pack, I am of the opinion that it was also distributed by other methods as it is much more common than the Previews cards.

____________________
My dog is a RotweillerXLabrador. He'll bite your leg off but he'll always bring it back to you.
 
Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
All those cards were inserted in the Previews magazine as blocks and were cut to make that card set. The block format is the original release format.
 
Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
I had a bunch of these cards over the years, I have had and have seen everything listed in the PCE. I never seen any different than what's listed. I tried to scan the Refractor's to post a image, but scanned, they don't look any different that the plain one's.
 
Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Oder:
I had a bunch of these cards over the years, I have had and have seen everything listed in the PCE. I never seen any different than what's listed. I tried to scan the Refractor's to post a image, but scanned, they don't look any different that the plain one's.


The thing is though John, is that is there a difference between a chrome finish and a chrome refractor finish?

Also @ Szym not all the cards were blocks of four, I have the two 2 card strips with a selvedge edge where they were removed from a magazine. These at least were in pairs.

____________________
My dog is a RotweillerXLabrador. He'll bite your leg off but he'll always bring it back to you.
 
Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
quote:
Originally posted by John Oder:
I had a bunch of these cards over the years, I have had and have seen everything listed in the PCE. I never seen any different than what's listed. I tried to scan the Refractor's to post a image, but scanned, they don't look any different that the plain one's.


The thing is though John, is that is there a difference between a chrome finish and a chrome refractor finish?

Also @ Szym not all the cards were blocks of four, I have the two 2 card strips with a selvedge edge where they were removed from a magazine. These at least were in pairs.


I think I know the different, I've collected cards for longer than a good chunck people on this forum been on this earth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John Oder,
 
Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
When I said blocks, I meant more than one card, that is why I didn't mention any number.
 
Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
Just in passing, although the Frankenstein holo did come with the pack, I am of the opinion that it was also distributed by other methods as it is much more common than the Previews cards.


You are correct about this. The Frankenstein Hologram was actually affixed to the front cover of an early 1990's Previews Magazine (whatever month they were promoting the first Bernie Wrightson art card set). It was a pretty cool advertisement for the set, very eye catching, and probably one of the only times a promo was stuck to the front cover of a magazine.

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 3046 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is really really annoying that statement from CI "have been cut & trimmed to trading card size". It gives collectors no confidence that anyone can take a four card block and simply cut them up to singles with a pair of scissors. If manufactures are doing that then anyone can do it.

At this time there were about half dozen sports price guides which all had card inserts some which were high end. Cutting the cards was so common there were ads to have your cards professionally cut.
Does anyone know how the refractors were distributed?
 
Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Member
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
reading the back of the box
makes me think
Previews had a pile of the block cards left over
or magazines with them in it
and collected all of them , cut them up
and made the box set
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think it must have been planned from the start. 5500 is too much of an overrun.
 
Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Conformation of Preview promos

© Non-Sport Update 2013