Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    The NEW Promo Card Holy Grail Thread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NEW Promo Card Holy Grail Thread
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted
I know there's an old holy grail promo thread out there, but it's time for a new one. Although this is a card I've never cared about personally, I know some collector's out there would like to have this one.

Speed Racer P3 front

Speed Racer P3 back

come on...post some holy grail cards!

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have two holy grail promo cards.

Cornerstone...The Avengers...A7

Cornerstone...Hammer Horror...Werewolf variant.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh come on, Todd, who doesn't like the Mark V, the car that defied the laws of physics.

I don't have a photo of my holy grail. Do you have a scan of the Cardlynx promo that shows a card from the Parrots set and one from the Owls set on the front? I saw it years ago but now I wonder if it was a dream.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
I know there's an old holy grail promo thread out there, but it's time for a new one. Although this is a card I've never cared about personally, I know some collector's out there would like to have this one.

Speed Racer P3 front

Speed Racer P3 back

come on...post some holy grail cards!

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess, I would love to see the black bordered Speed Racer cards from the VHS tapes. Didn't you say you have 7 of the 8 cards ? I only have one, card # 3. If so, can you please post scans of the fronts and backs ?

David

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Oh come on, Todd, who doesn't like the Mark V, the car that defied the laws of physics.

I don't have a photo of my holy grail. Do you have a scan of the Cardlynx promo that shows a card from the Parrots set and one from the Owls set on the

Its not that I don't like Mark V, its just that it doesn't do anything for me. I mean...does it even have a tape deck?

And no I don't have the scan you asked about.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Yes, and I had a shot at the card I don't have but the seller wanted $15-20 for it so I had to pass. I had those out on my desk for a while and then packed them away. I'll see if I can find those.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Jess, I would love to see the black bordered Speed Racer cards from the VHS tapes. Didn't you say you have 7 of the 8 cards ? I only have one, card # 3. If so, can you please post scans of the fronts and backs ?

David

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Mark V is so special it has 8-track and cassette.

Records and cassettes were the main media by the time I started buying music but remember seeing 8-tracks in stores. I still have some cassettes.

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I don't have a photo of my holy grail. Do you have a scan of the Cardlynx promo that shows a card from the Parrots set and one from the Owls set on the

Its not that I don't like Mark V, its just that it doesn't do anything for me. I mean...does it even have a tape deck?

And no I don't have the scan you asked about.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Avengers first series from Cornerstone.

A9

A0

A7

A8

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Avengers In Color

B7

B8

B9

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
The coveted Hammer Horror Series 2 P2 variant. This was my most cherished card when I owned. It the only grail card I ever went after. Once I sold it, the rest of my cards were easy to let go of.

Hammer Horror P2

Hammer Horror P2 back

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The amazing thing to me is that i have 6 of the 8 cards featured there. Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had the A0 too, the unnumbered version like that one. I sold it later and haven't seen another one for sale since.

Jess

quote:
Avengers first series from Cornerstone.

A9

A0

A7

A8

Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I think there should be some sort or clarification between the promo and the price. There are plenty of promos I would love to have, but when the cost starts going up, it becomes a hard choice. Example is the Star Wars Heritage P2 Promo - Usually goes for around $40.00. Would love to complete my set, but the cost makes me wait. There are others like that as well (Some of the Outlander Promos).

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
I think there should be some sort or clarification between the promo and the price.

Can you explain this a bit more? I dont follow.

Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
When somebody askes what would be your Holy Grail Promo Card, I would ask is price part of the equation. There are plenty of promos out there that I would love to add to my collection but due to cost constraints, I know I will never be able to afford. Example - I would love to be able to get all of the Rittenhouse Binder Promos, but there are still 133 I don't have. Most are upwards of $35.00 to $45.00 dollars so I have basically written them off. (133 x $35.00 = $4,655)

If a promo is super rare, or extremely hard to find, I usually tend to pass. While I would love to add it to my collection, I have to be realistic and realize it will be out of my budget and will most likely not be adding it to my collection.

If the promo is widely available, then its usually not considered a holy Grail Promo since most promo collectors undoubtedly own it

I hope that kind of helps

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the other holy grail thread (check Card Talk's Greatest Hits) we talked about them being either rare and expensive or rare and inexpensive. It can be frustrating not finding a particular card for years and as frustrating, if not more so, if the card you want has been sitting for sale online for months/years but the asking price is always $300 more than you can pay.

In your case, however, you're hunting Rittenhouse binder promos. If there are over 100 you're still looking for, then you should be able to bag some of those. I see stuff underpriced relative to the market all the time. I haven't looked specifically for any of those but I have seen other binder cards go cheap. I have also seen a couple of binder cards in promo lots so you should check those. Dealers end up with odd assortments of promos and sometimes they get some as part of a deal for something else. They don't always check the approximate value of every card because that's time-consuming and they're just interested in rolling them over quickly at a rather modest profit. When I have the time, I look over lots and see what's there.

Don't get discouraged. There are cards I'd like to get and I've been outbid at the last second on something cool many times. So close. At that point I just start looking for the next thing. You will find at least some of what you're looking for if you keep looking for it.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
When somebody askes what would be your Holy Grail Promo Card, I would ask is price part of the equation. There are plenty of promos out there that I would love to add to my collection but due to cost constraints, I know I will never be able to afford. Example - I would love to be able to get all of the Rittenhouse Binder Promos, but there are still 133 I don't have. Most are upwards of $35.00 to $45.00 dollars so I have basically written them off. (133 x $35.00 = $4,655)

If a promo is super rare, or extremely hard to find, I usually tend to pass. While I would love to add it to my collection, I have to be realistic and realize it will be out of my budget and will most likely not be adding it to my collection.

If the promo is widely available, then its usually not considered a holy Grail Promo since most promo collectors undoubtedly own it

I hope that kind of helps

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for years for the Promo 4 of The Legend of Zorro (Artbox). Is this rare or even produced or so common nobody even bothers to sell?

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is my short list of Holy Grails:

1) Blue Angels (Sterling, 1991) promo # 17. I have had # 1-16 and 18-20 for many years. Missing just the one card. Singles pop up on ebay from time to time, a bunch recently, but no # 17. I did see one on ebay around 2012, which sold for a mere $ 3. I saw it after it sold.

2) Earth Tribe. Film/cell like cards given out at the 2000 SDCC. They promote some long forgotten comic book. There is a set of 5 and I have 4 of them. I saw a set sell on ebay about 8 years ago for $ 20, but I have never seen any since.

3) Mickey Mouse and Friends Fun Cards (SkyBox, 1996) 3 oversized promo cards for a rare educational card set geared at little kids. Even the card set, itself, is virtually impossible to find, for reasons unknown.

4) Marvel Universe IV (SkyBox, 1993) Punisher 2099 sample foil. I've never seen one, but I have seen the other 8 (of 9) for this set.

5) Marvel Universe IV Capitol Con red foil sheet of Doom 2099, Vulture 2099, Ravage 2099. 2 have actually shown up on ebay over the past year or two and sold for around $100 each, but I saw them after the fact. I have the other 2 red foil sheets for this set.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Creator's Master Series P0

[URL= ][/URL]

[URL= ][/URL]

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I've been looking for years for the Promo 4 of The Legend of Zorro (Artbox). Is this rare or even produced or so common nobody even bothers to sell?

Super duper rare...i got one at the time and have never seen another one since.