Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    A Nightmare on Elm Street 1991 Impel
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Nightmare on Elm Street 1991 Impel
 Login/Join

Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
Val,

As Albert said, WOW. Congratulations on getting such a great promo set at a fantastic price...

Sometimes it pays to take that risk! Smile

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks- it's funny because I was so sure that when I got the package I would just be looking at a bunch of the regular cards, so imagine my shock when I turned the cards over and saw that wonderful word in the corner. Big Grin

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Val, thats an awesome find... Congrats!

Oh... pls feel free to contact me if you ever get NOES promo dupes Wink

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
That's great for you Val on your find Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will try and photograph all of them soon. I am still curious how the cards were distributed- I guess that is another mystery.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" SAMPLE card:

Front:

Back:

Enjoy!

Val

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Val, from now on, you are my designated box picker at card shows! Congrats on this ridiculously rare find. Eek

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone ever get the Boiler Room set? It had the holograms like the coffin box set but also came with a T-shirt. It was a mail away offer from Impel.

Wayne

Posts: 23 | Location: Winnipeg | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 300kph:
Did anyone ever get the Boiler Room set? It had the holograms like the coffin box set but also came with a T-shirt. It was a mail away offer from Impel.

Wayne

The Boiler Room set had ten different bonus cards as well as two different holograms from the Coffin Set, in addition to the t-shirt. I have those but not the regular set as of yet (they are on my to get list)

Val

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just bumping this up- three out of the six of these cards have shown up for sale you know where recently. Anyone get any?

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I remember that for YEARS Video Giant in Meridian had the coffin set and I was a kid and too scared to buy it!
Wish I would have now.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip ! I grabbed all 3 off of ebay. It was worth the price, in my opinion, as I've never seen these show for sale, anywhere, over the past 20 years !

As mentioned above, I have a 4th one, the promo for the second movie, "Nightmare on Elm St 2: Freddy's Revenge", so now I have just 2 left to hunt down. I wonder if I will EVER complete my set ?

I am still amazed that these showed up on ebay !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One thing I have never understood about these, is WHY are they so darn hard to find, when other early 1990s Impel promos like the Star Treks and Disneys are relatively common ??? Anyone know ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
This is just a guess but since Disney and Star Trek would both fall in the "PG" form of entertainment and Nightmare on Elm Street was "R" fewer were produced since there would be a smaller market for them.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Indeed what a find! The question remains as to how large of a stash this seller has found. So far he has sold several lots of the same 3 cards. I emailed him to see if he had the others but he said "no". So our hunt continues.
I have a theory as to why these are so scarce: the word sample is written in such small letters that these cards probably got thrown away by many not realizing they were promos. Hey, I'm trying OK Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Certainly worth the price, in my opinion.

I wonder if in 1991, the promos were sent out in sets, that is, in cello packs like with the other early Impel promos, or were these given out individually ?

And who were they sent to ? Comic stores ? Card dealers ? There probably weren't alot of non sports dealers in 1991, as this was before you had the huge explosion of non-sports cards in 1992. Back in 1991, most sets didn't even have chase cards, except for maybe some holograms.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Indeed what a find! The question remains as to how large of a stash this seller has found. So far he has sold several lots of the same 3 cards. I emailed him to see if he had the others but he said "no". So our hunt continues.
I have a theory as to why these are so scarce: the word sample is written in such small letters that these cards probably got thrown away by many not realizing they were promos. Hey, I'm trying OK Big Grin

Yeah I am curious about that too, I asked the seller if he knew how they were distributed but haven't heard anything from him. I bet they were probably sent to comics shops and most sets probably got tucked away somewhere or even discarded.

I am pleased that at least a couple of the cards have shown up in some quantity for those of you who were searching for them though Smile

Val

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Val, could you please do me a favor and post scans of the fronts and backs of the 2 samples that we have not seen ?

I posted the scan of Freddy from the Nightmare on Elm St 2 sample, and the 3 on ebay are the ones of Heather Lagenkamp, the one of the guy dead on the ground, and the one of the woman being attacked. I'd like to see the other two ! Thanks

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will need to get my digital camera out to take pictures of both of those as I do not have a scanner. I know the NOES3 one was pictured in one of the PCE's in B&W.

Val

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I remember that for YEARS Video Giant in Meridian had the coffin set and I was a kid and too scared to buy it!
Wish I would have now.

Depending on when you check you know where, I have seen some cheap prices for the coffin set at times. It is a very cool set, in fact I might go look at it now...LOL.

Val