Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Haze/build-up on 3Di promo cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haze/build-up on 3Di promo cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I was sorting through my older Star Wars promos and noticed that the 3Di cards (3Di1 and 3Di2) didn't look right - kind of a haze on them with the 3D effect not clear at all. Each sleeve was slightly stuck as well. In fact, I had to cut off each sleeve and the haze was in a weird pattern. Has anyone else seen this?

I tested cleaning off a 3Di1 card with a dab of Windex and it did clear up better. Maybe some other milder cleaner would work too.

The 3Di2 is one of my favorite promos - cool Ralph McQuarrie art.

Jess

Posts: 4392 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I think they put that stuff on them to prevent them from cracking. I cleaned up a set about a year ago and just used a dry cloth to do so. Make sure to do it vertically, since that's the way the treads go.

The more recent 3Di sets don't need it. They use a different process for them and the cards are a lot thinner. I haven't looked at the one for Phantom Menace recently though. That's from 1999 so it might also have that buildup.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed the vertical grooves and went that direction. I have another promo to try with just the dry cloth.

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I think they put that stuff on them to prevent them from cracking. I cleaned up a set about a year ago and just used a dry cloth to do so. Make sure to do it vertically, since that's the way the treads go.

The more recent 3Di sets don't need it. They use a different process for them and the cards are a lot thinner. I haven't looked at the one for Phantom Menace recently though. That's from 1999 so it might also have that buildup.

Posts: 4392 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I always loved that McQuarrie promo, too. I wish they'd make a full set of his paintings in that 3D style. At least we've got 30 of them with the chrome finish as the chase cards in the regular Star Wars original trilogy Widevision sets.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I thought those chromium chase looked great too. The one with droids in the desert looked particularly nice with that effect.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I always loved that McQuarrie promo, too. I wish they'd make a full set of his paintings in that 3D style. At least we've got 30 of them with the chrome finish as the chase cards in the regular Star Wars original trilogy Widevision sets.