Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    TMNT Universal Monsters figure insert cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TMNT Universal Monsters figure insert cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted
Something I’ve noticed on the demon auction site is an awe full trend on the selling prices of mint on card TMNT Universal Monster figure. Months ago the prices were less than $10.00 each now I’m seeing from $140 to $300 depending on the character. All of the first wave figures are starting at $49.99 on auction. The Invisible Man which is bringing almost $400.00 right now but a couple more have just been added starting in the $30.00 range.

My whole point to this is if you’ve invested in the figures to make money, now is the time. But unless this trend reversed itself, the cards are all gonna be impossible to find as they are all being sent to your friendly neighborhood grading service, either way pricing just the average card collector out of the market.

Opinions??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cecil,

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cecil,

A few years ago, I wanted the Creature from the Black Lagoon one but they were $80 and up on the web and at a local collectibles shop in the Santa Rosa, CA area, the most expensive being around $130. The cheapest was a Bride of Frankenstein for $30. I looked again last year and still didn't see any deals and wish I had checked when you saw them for less than $10.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
Something I’ve noticed on the demon auction site is an awe full trend on the selling prices of mint on card TMNT Universal Monster figure. Months ago the prices were less than $10.00 each now I’m seeing from $140 to $300 depending on the character. All of the first wave figures are starting at $49.99 on auction. The only wave 2 figure I’ve seen is The Invisible Man which is bringing almost $400.00 right now but a couple more have just been added starting in the $30.00 range.

My whole point to this is if you’ve invested in the figures to make money, now is the time. But unless this trend reversed itself, the cards are all gonna be impossible to find as they are all being sent to your friendly neighborhood grading service, either way pricing just the average card collector out of the market.

Opinions??

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
As usual the sellers are not setting the prices the buyers are, they only have themselves to blame.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I looked at some Completed Listings and see the sealed Creature from the Black Lagoon figure going for $150-200 but it's a wild range for the group with at least one selling for over $400 - even an opened package. The Bride of Frankenstein has sold as cheaply as $50.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
As usual the sellers are not setting the prices the buyers are, they only have themselves to blame.

I have never understood why these small, cheap figures gain any traction at all in the hobby. They are toys. I really like a good looking resin or polystone model. Even the Sideshow products that are more doll based can make for a very nice display. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on it, than I want something that looks like its worth hundreds of dollars. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How many different TMNT Monsters cards are there ?

Someone has an auction up now for 4 cards, starting bid $ 200.00.

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
I believe there were 8 different with 8 different trading cards.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
How many different TMNT Monsters cards are there ?

Someone has an auction up now for 4 cards, starting bid $ 200.00.

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
I would imagine these days the possibility of NM to MT cards inside are driving the market on them. I mean look at what graded MT Marvel cards are going for these days.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

I have never understood why these small, cheap figures gain any traction at all in the hobby. They are toys. I really like a good looking resin or polystone model. Even the Sideshow products that are more doll based can make for a very nice display. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on it, than I want something that looks like its worth hundreds of dollars. Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Wow, I must’ve missed those days.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hi Cecil,

A few years ago, I wanted the Creature from the Black Lagoon one but they were $80 and up on the web and at a local collectibles shop in the Santa Rosa, CA area, the most expensive being around $130. The cheapest was a Bride of Frankenstein for $30. I looked again last year and still didn't see any deals and wish I had checked when you saw them for less than $10.

Jess

quote:
Something I’ve noticed on the demon auction site is an awe full trend on the selling prices of mint on card TMNT Universal Monster figure. Months ago the prices were less than $10.00 each now I’m seeing from $140 to $300 depending on the character. All of the first wave figures are starting at $49.99 on auction. The only wave 2 figure I’ve seen is The Invisible Man which is bringing almost $400.00 right now but a couple more have just been added starting in the $30.00 range.

Opinions??

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something I’ve noticed on the demon auction site is an awe full trend on the selling prices of mint on card TMNT Universal Monster figure. Months ago the prices were less than $10.00 each now I’m seeing from $140 to $300 depending on the character. All of the first wave figures are starting at $49.99 on auction. The Invisible Man which is bringing almost $400.00 right now but a couple more have just been added starting in the $30.00 range.

Opinions??

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Well, we all know that the female figures rarely get the respect that the male ones do.

quote:
I looked at some Completed Listings and see the sealed Creature from the Black Lagoon figure going for $150-200 but it's a wild range for the group with at least one selling for over $400 - even an opened package. The Bride of Frankenstein has sold as cheaply as $50.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Well, I just got back from my storage unit, luckily I remember where I saw my comic box of TMNT figures last.

quote:
quote:

Opinions??

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would imagine these days the possibility of NM to MT cards inside are driving the market on them. I mean look at what graded MT Marvel cards are going for these days.

Yeah, I was only talking about the figures in general because you know when any cards were added to the box, they were supposed to be the extra bonus, not the main attraction. Big Grin

Anyone know how rare these cards/figures really are? Because the Starting Lineup figures, which also had cards, were overproduced like crazy and yet people were stocking them away in mint condition.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There has been a boost in the going-rate recently but these were popular before as well. For some collectors, they are good enough as long as they are "mint in package." I guess some people are actually nostalgic about the 90's.

Jess

quote:
quote:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think people buying these care about the cards. They are action figure collectors who want everything in place with the packaging in pristine condition. If I could get one cheap, I would open it, keep the card and leave the figure for my nephew to play with though he might not know the guys.

It's no guarantee that the card is undamaged in a sealed package. I've bought some still-sealed, super-cheap cars and figures but the card was a little bent or slightly water-damaged or discolored by a piece of tape used to secure it from behind within the packaging.

Jess

quote:

quote:
quote:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, in this case, I think it's just that April isn't one of the turtles though she's part of the team.

quote:
Well, we all know that the female figures rarely get the respect that the male ones do.

quote:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed a set of the 5 1991 Hostess Pudding Pie cards goes for about $10-20 and the separate set of stickers have a wild range in sales with deals still to be had. The wrappers are now going for even more. Just a few years ago, they were not as easy to find, but if you kept your eyes open, you could pick up a set of either for about $8-10.

They were short promotions, but it appears around the time I got mine, someone had been sitting on some sets (or simply forgot about and rediscovered them later) and was unloading them.

I see some hologram cards/stickers being sold as Hostess Pudding Pie items though I don't remember those. They look like vending machine items but maybe someone here knows for sure.

Jess

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
You are totally right about the buyers not caring about the cards. I guess I was wrong with my initial statement. I list 2 of my Michelangelo Invisible Man figures and after selling them and speaking to the winners, they are just hardcore action figure collectors.

quote:
I don't think people buying these care about the cards. They are action figure collectors who want everything in place with the packaging in pristine condition. If I could get one cheap, I would open it, keep the card and leave the figure for my nephew to play with though he might not know the guys.

It's no guarantee that the card is undamaged in a sealed package. I've bought some still-sealed, super-cheap cars and figures but the card was a little bent or slightly water-damaged or discolored by a piece of tape used to secure it from behind within the packaging.

Jess

quote:

quote:
quote:

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are totally right about the buyers not caring about the cards. I guess I was wrong with my initial statement. I list 2 of my Michelangelo Invisible Man figures and after selling them and speaking to the winners, they are just hardcore action figure collectors.

See that's what I thought, but than if someone said its the TMNT Universal Monsters cards that are hot, well it could be because who knows what's the new/old big thing in cards now? At this point I'd believe it. It makes as much sense as anything else going on in the hobby. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE lists 4 of these promos. Are there 8 ?

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post