Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    The impossible dream?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The impossible dream?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
I believe that most collectors are completists by nature. There is some inherent drive which makes us seek to finish our quest whether it's to acquire a master set of every issue belonging to a certain genre such as,for example, Science Fiction or to a sub category within that umbrella as in striving to get one of every Star wars set and/or card ever manufactured. Of course, there are a myriad variations to this theme, but the concept is always the same- reaching the goal.

As we all know too well, this journey can get quite expensive and frustrating but ardent collectors seem to enjoy this ongoing challenge throughout the world.
Several years ago, I undertook a task which has consumed innumerable hours, countless dollars and tested the depths of my determination and perseverance.
I decided to hunt for and acquire one of every promo/prototype/sample/premium/toy card ever issued between 1988 and 2008. My quest has been unrelenting and pervasive. I have many stories which I have shared with friends on this board about the ridiculous lengths I have gone to get my fix. The breadth of the collection I have amassed is quite extensive and rivals some of the most advanced ones I have learned about. I have even bought other collectors' entire stock to add but a few cards I didn't own.

Some of you may disagree, but I believe that when it comes to non promotional sets,chase, sketch,autograph and other cards with limited print runs of the last 25 years,if you spend a reasonable time looking and have the financial resources, you can and will find the item you seek somewhere.
Yet, despite my best efforts, I am still missing hundreds of promotional cards which, regardless of how hard and where I search, I have been unable to locate ,many of which I have been looking for in over two decades.

My questions to the collective are why are some "promos" so incredibly hard to find and are some of these cards the most undervalued items of the modern non sports arena or simply an illusion?

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I think for the most part some promo cards from then early 80's to mid 90's were tossed out by shops before they even got into anyone's hands.
A case in point. Back when Skybox was releasing The Sandman set, I preordered 3 boxes from a local sports card shop. The owner looked at the order and said, "You want this?" He then reached into a garbage can and handed me the Death Silver Boardered promo card. We talked and for the next few years he was open I got all his non sport card promo. Now, He had been in business since 1986. This set was released in 1994. So, for appox. 9 years he was tossing the promo cards!!!

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are ones from 1991-1996 that rarely show up, if ever. I think Albert would agree with me.

1) Nightmare on Elm St (Impel, 1991) samples; yes, some surfaced on ebay last year, but before that, when was the last time you saw these for sale ?

2) Blue Angels (Sterling, 1991) sample cards #1-20; these never turn up; I'm still missing #17

3) Desert Storm Landforce, Skyforce, Seaforce prototypes; hard to find !

4) Creators Master Series P0 (SkyBox) I've never seen one

5) Ultraverse Master Series H1 (SkyBox) Never saw one until it showed up on ebay last week and sold for $50; I didn't win it

6) Blackball Comics (SkyBox) P01 and P02; WHY are these so hard to find ? Given out on a tour in 1994, supposedly 2500 of each made; I've seen them only ONCE--and I have them

7) Mickey Mouse & Friends Fun Cards (SkyBox) I've never seen these 3 promos from 1996, except in PCE

8) U.S. Stamp Cards (Tower, 1994) USS1-USS8; I've seen only scans of these, from others' collections

Posts: 4719 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Impossible Dream.

Hammer Horror P2 wolfman

well maybe not impossible but i think the only way i will ever get one is if someone leaves me one in their will. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I hate to deflate your dreams Wolfie, but he is leaving it to me.... Smile

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
When I was mentioning undervalued promos, that's the very card I was referring too in my mind Wink

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
When I was mentioning undervalued promos, that's the very card I was referring too in my mind Wink

We don't have to worry about wolfie or mike getting our, they both are going to go Angel before me and you and leave us lots of goodies in there wills.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Who is this Mike person, who let him in? Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
........So, for appox. 9 years he was tossing the promo cards!!!

Ugh!!! I can't even think about that without wanting to cry!!!

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At least part of the reason some promos hardly ever surface could be that they were released at non-card related venues. Those U.S Stamp cards could have been handed out at a stamp show. There would be some overlap with some stamp collectors also interested in cards but a lot of them could have ended up in the garbage.

Cards Illustrated (magazine) used to have some oddball promotions. Some promos might have been available through something like that.

Also, I think there are collectors who have those cards but they never needed to use a computer at work and they have never felt like they needed one at home. If they have extras, they haven't been circulated through online sales or trades.

As for promos undervalued relative to their rarity, that kind of thing happens in other hobbies. Some items just seem to sit at a low value because they just aren't capturing anyone's imagination even if they are truly uncommon.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Here are ones from 1991-1996 that rarely show up, if ever. I think Albert would agree with me.

1) Nightmare on Elm St (Impel, 1991) samples; yes, some surfaced on ebay last year, but before that, when was the last time you saw these for sale ?

2) Blue Angels (Sterling, 1991) sample cards #1-20; these never turn up; I'm still missing #17

3) Desert Storm Landforce, Skyforce, Seaforce prototypes; hard to find !

4) Creators Master Series P0 (SkyBox) I've never seen one

5) Ultraverse Master Series H1 (SkyBox) Never saw one until it showed up on ebay last week and sold for $50; I didn't win it

6) Blackball Comics (SkyBox) P01 and P02; WHY are these so hard to find ? Given out on a tour in 1994, supposedly 2500 of each made; I've seen them only ONCE--and I have them

7) Mickey Mouse & Friends Fun Cards (SkyBox) I've never seen these 3 promos from 1996, except in PCE

8) U.S. Stamp Cards (Tower, 1994) USS1-USS8; I've seen only scans of these, from others' collections

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
David,
I have many of these from your list but cannot find a "Ultraverse Master Series" H1 either.
As for the Creators Edition Master Series P0.
That card must be an error card. I believe the other promos were numbered P01, P02 etc. so P0 should be P00.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ace, there was an Ultraverse Master Series H1 of Mantra on ebay a month or two back, as part of a lot of Ultraverse promos. It sold for $50, but I missed it. Frown

Nope, the Creators Master Series P0 of Biohazard does exist. There is a picture of it on the sell sheet, and I know of two people who have seen it. Not me, however.

Posts: 4719 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I think that most people that sell promos might not know the actual value of certain cards. So that is why they remain under-valued. The vast majority of non-sport card collectors may not follow the promo values as much as they follow the values of the cards they are looking for. And regardless of what you think a card is worth, remember that a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Some promo card collectors mention searching for certain hard to find promos, but I don't think they are valuable, just hard to find. There is a big difference. As some of you know, I own only 1 of 2 known complete sets of the AMP Desert Storm 10 card promo sets. Does that mean it is rare? I think it means that it is hard to find and it is too soon to tell if it is rare. Maybe that is what drives the value of some cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beamer,

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post