Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Star Trek New Zealand Promo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek New Zealand Promo
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Here's one that I don't have. The S1 from the early 1990s Star Trek Generations movie set by SkyBox, with the variant back that says it was released in New Zealand, one of 20,000 made

How hard is it to find ? Anyone have one that they'd be willing to part with ? I have seen only a scan of it...

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Ask Lynne, she probably knows where there is one.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I'm going to a show this weekend. I think I know someone who has one.
Only thing now to figure out is...how much is one willing to spend on it ? Hmmmmm

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, I sent her an email the other day, but no response. Anyone speak to Lynne lately ?

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know what happened to the 20,000 of them.
I've been after one for ages, i've talked to people in NZ and they can't find them either.
I have a Star Trek collector friend who has one that she picked it up year's ago, apart from that one, i've never seen another.

Posts: 97 | Location: Australia | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How were they distributed ? Anyone know ? Just handed out in New Zealand like the Lion King P2 promos were in Australia ?

Another 1990s SkyBox mystery, like if the Creators Master Series P0 was ever given out, and if the Ultraverse Master Series H1 promo truly exists !

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
There is something really dodgy going on here with this promo. I was (and of course still am) collecting cards during the time of this promo release and if there was 20,000 of them released to the New Zealand market I would not only have one but should be able to know where to find at least half a dozen others. I not only do not have one but have never seen one fist hand. Of all the card collectors that I know of in New Zealand no one has got one and everyone is looking for one.
Secondly, at the time of this card's release I was co-manager of a chain of card shops in NZ called Card Crazy. I can assure you that at card collectings peak there were only 17 card shops in the country (we had a population of under 4 million) and if they were out there I would have known about it.
I have heard all sorts of rumours about a staff member of the local distribution company grabbing the whole batch and dribbling them out one at a time as part of his retirement plan.(btw, this practise is not unknown - I was witness to this happening with a Futura mail-order rare card and a made-redundant manager and it was part of his severence package) I have also heard that thousands were sent to the US and very few ever appearing on the NZ market. All that I can be absolutely sure of and I am willing to guarantee this - is that nothing even close to 20,000 of these cards were ever released into the NZ card collecting market.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I dunno if dodgy is the right word or just LOST. I never understood why NZ needed 20K to begin with Wink I've heard of maybe 4 or 5 since I started collecting them. I assisted in the sale of one for $1400 about a year or two ago and it had a dinged corner. I got mine from an NSU auctionne years and years ago and paid maybe $75? Weird.
I was tracing a more recent RA promo that went to diamond comics and was never released as planned and they said in an interview I read online that they lsot them. I assume something like this happened. Or that whoever has them has no idea on how they would be coveted.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Lynne, which RA promo was that ?

Was that the Star Trek DS9 one that was supposed to be inserted in the action figures, but the figures were cancelled ? I believe you posted a scan of it awhile back. I have one.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Yup. Even if the vast lot is lost, enough is around, it shouldn't be as hard to get as the NZ one Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have personally handled 4 of these cards . I actually only found out about them from an american collector about 5 years ago who asked me to keep an eye out for him after an earlier ebay trade we did .

I was at my card clubs annual fair about 4 years ago and happened to ask a dealer if she had any of them and to my surprise she had 3 in EX-NM condition for the pricely sum of $5NZD each (I think I beat her down to $10 for the three cards!). I keep one for myself , sold one to the person who told me about them in the first place , and put the other on ebay ($75USD I recall). I also found a rough condition card a few years ago in a pile of assorted trading cards I brought . steve - new zealand Smokin'

Posts: 2 | Location: Palmerston North  | Registered: October 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nzcardman:
I have personally handled 4 of these cards . I actually only found out about them from an american collector about 5 years ago who asked me to keep an eye out for him after an earlier ebay trade we did .

I was at my card clubs annual fair about 4 years ago and happened to ask a dealer if she had any of them and to my surprise she had 3 in EX-NM condition for the pricely sum of $5NZD each (I think I beat her down to $10 for the three cards!). I keep one for myself , sold one to the person who told me about them in the first place , and put the other on ebay ($75USD I recall). I also found a rough condition card a few years ago in a pile of assorted trading cards I brought . steve - new zealand Smokin'

Any chance you could post a picture of the front and back...I think I have one, but I'm just not sure. Confused

Posts: 378 | Location: New Milford, CT | Registered: February 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Joe McKinney
posted Hide Post
The word Prototype was mispelled on the general distribution promo. This error was corrected on the New Zealand version.

Posts: 976 | Location: Clayton, Alabama, U.S.A | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
What sharp eyes you have, i never noticed that. Clap

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mccheese8472:
quote:
Originally posted by nzcardman:

Any chance you could post a picture of the front and back...I think I have one, but I'm just not sure. Confused

hi. just read your reply , it looks like someone has beat me to it , regards ,steve

Posts: 2 | Location: Palmerston North  | Registered: October 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post