Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Booksmith Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Harlan Ellison has a nice rant against Marvel Metal from 1995 on YouTube, during which he also praises Comic Images for The Golden Age of Comics.
It only took me 26 years to watch it.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,

I've watched several of his videos and interviews but haven't seen that one. Do you remember which one that is?

Ellison was certainly entertaining as a guest. The only time I saw him speechless was when Tom Snyder, an old friend, presented him with a painting he had wanted (a gift from someone else forwarded to Snyder presumably so a lot of people might see Ellison's reaction, whatever it might be) when Snyder was the host of "The Late Late Show."

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Harlan Ellison has a nice rant against Marvel Metal from 1995 on YouTube, during which he also praises Comic Images for The Golden Age of Comics.
It only took me 26 years to watch it.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That was great.

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Hear it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PyFNmnTwU

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wasn't a list posted somewhere here of all 1080 cards ? Where did the list go ?

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's Thomas' list elsewhere online:

https://www.thomasgladysz.com/...r-cards-a-checklist/

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Wasn't a list posted somewhere here of all 1080 cards ? Where did the list go ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just bought one lot of Booksmith cards and will be showing whatever cards that haven't already been shown.

This one is #118 and it promotes Merrill Markoe's 1994 book. She was the original head writer for "Late Night with David Letterman."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #268. This one promotes Tom Tomorrow's comic strip, This Modern World," which I've enjoyed over the years. A printing error left the text from another card on the back. A corrected card wasn't printed but corrected text was pasted over the back of many of these. This one doesn't have the corrected text.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How big was the lot?

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
41 cards with 5 of them being autographed. It pretty much doubled my collection of them. I paid a little more than I wanted (and a little more than that for the signed ones) but I thought it was a reasonable price. Some might say it wasn't a smart buy especially for uncertified autographs. Then again, I'm a collector who doesn't think about resale value. It's not an investment. It's an interesting set and I was able to pick the cards - a sample across the run with some of the authors I knew at least a little about.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
How big was the lot?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you got a Jim Steinmeyer card, I will trade to your advantage to get it.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't have that one. You should try contacting him. Maybe he has an extra. In any case I'll keep my eyes open for you.

quote:
If you got a Jim Steinmeyer card, I will trade to your advantage to get it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card #294 promoting Hank Greenwald's 1999 autobiography, "This Copyrighted Broadcast." He was a longtime San Francisco Giants play-by-play announcer - an almost unbroken string from the late 70's to the mid 90's, announcing Yankees games for two years in the late 80's. He passed away in 2018.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
You should try contacting [Jim Steinmeyer]. Maybe he has an extra.

I did (we've known each other for over a decade). He does. He said he'd send it to me, but never did, and I've given up asking about it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 309, Tama Janowitz. She is on at least one other card (an unnumbered card which Thomas has since assigned a number, 155, for the purpose of the checklist he has published).

Do her friends call her "Tama Jana" or "Tam Jan?"

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card #329, the late, great Forrest J. Ackerman. It advertises his appearance at the store when he was promoting the release of "Science Fiction Classics: The Stories that Morphed into Movies," a collection of stories he compiled not to showcase the best of the genre of a particular time or subgenre but to show a range in storytelling as the reader explores the origins of various well-known sci-movies of the 50's-80's.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 342, Mickey Hart, Grateful Dead percussionist. It promotes his 1999 book, "Spirit into Sound: The Magic of Music."

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unless you are cherry picking the ones you are posting, your lot seems ot have a higher percentage of "names" than the lots I have seen.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm just picking ones from the lot that haven't been shown on Card Talk before.

quote:
Unless you are cherry picking the ones you are posting, your lot seems ot have a higher percentage of "names" than the lots I have seen.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cards #339 and 489. Ben Fong-Torres. Both show the same photo of the rock & roll historian but card 489 has a black inner border around the photo that #339 doesn't have. Card 339 promotes his 1999 book, "Not Fade Away: A Backstage Pass to 20 Years of Rock & Roll and #489 promotes the 2001 paperback edition of his 1998 book, "The Hits Just Keep on Coming."

The back of #489 mentions DJ Bobby Ocean who I remember on local radio (K101, 101.3, which was a very popular station in the 90's but long gone now).