Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Indian Motorcycles Series I question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indian Motorcycles Series I question
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
Does anyone know the difference between the regular card #9 in the set and the equivalent #9 promo. Both CPE and Allender's checklist mention this card, but no information as to what makes one of them a promo and not the other.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

That is a question I was just thinking about recently before I started wearing gloves to the store. I have never seen any of the Series 1 promos listed in PCE2008 other than the unnumbered "1993 Indian Chief GBA" card. When I looked for listings in back issues of Collect and NSU going back to the 90's, I don't see any for promos for Series 1.

I know a motorcycle card collector who has all kinds of stuff and he told me he had not seen any promos for Series 1. All that makes me wonder if the #1 and #9 promos even exist though PCE2008 does list them with everything in that guide either being seen personally by Todd or he heard it from a reliable source. Is it possible that someone confused the Series 2 card #1 and #8 promos as #1 and #9 promos for Series 1? That seems unlikely since Todd actually notes the motorcycles on those cards and they are all different.

Maybe David or someone else here can show us what they look like or knows more.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Does anyone know the difference between the regular card #9 in the set and the equivalent #9 promo. Both CPE and Allender's checklist mention this card, but no information as to what makes one of them a promo and not the other.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I have the #9 card but I don't know which version it is, if the promo even exists. I have a #3 card from that set which is embossed with a seal of authenticity which reads as follows: "The Indian Motorcycle Trading Card Corp. 1992 Seal New York." Maybe this is how they identified some promos early on.
Lastly, I own the 1993 Indian Chief blank back card stamped PROMO in red. I have seen that one without the stamp as well.

Another question: For Series II I have 2 different Holographic motorcycle promo cards. On one, on the back, inside the rectangle, the word PROMO is factory stamped. The same spot in the other card is left blank inside that space. Is the second one an unlisted variant or the chase card from the set?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen or heard of a stamped Series 1 card like your #3. That's interesting.

I can't find my notes at the moment but I have seen the 1993 Indian Chief GBA with a serial-number (but not shown to be numbered out of a particular total) and a "promo" stamp and I've seen it serial-numbered without a promo stamp as well.

Right, I have two different "Model H" holograms as well, the one that says "promo" in the rectangle and the one that is blank in that rectangle. There is a third version that has a serial number but that is a random chase card in the packs. I don't know where the blank rectangle card came from either.

Jess

quote:
I have the #9 card but I don't know which version it is, if the promo even exists. I have a #3 card from that set which is embossed with a seal of authenticity which reads as follows: "The Indian Motorcycle Trading Card Corp. 1992 Seal New York." Maybe this is how they identified some promos early on.
Lastly, I own the 1993 Indian Chief blank back card stamped PROMO in red. I have seen that one without the stamp as well.

Another question: For Series II I have 2 different Holographic motorcycle promo cards. On one, on the back, inside the rectangle, the word PROMO is factory stamped. The same spot in the other card is left blank inside that space. Is the second one an unlisted variant or the chase card from the set?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will have to check my binder when I get a chance. I might be able to do so later today.

Looking at Jeff's website, am I correct in saying that he says that the regular Series 1 card set was sold as a set of 10 ? If so, then isn't it unlikely that someone would have singles from this set ? That is, if you have a single, maybe it IS a promo ?

Also, Jeff lists a promo # 2 which is totally different from the regular card # 2. Is this an error ?

I see on ebay a few of the factory sets for Indian Motorcycles Series 2 (no Series 1) which come with a bandana. Smile

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, all the cards in the regular set were in one pack sold in boxes with the serial-numbered "1993 Indian Chief GBA" card as a random insert. I am assuming the promo-stamped version was distributed in some other way.

I guess it's possible the company gave out regular cards from the pack to show people what the set looked like but then there is Promoking's embossed version which may be one of the promos. It's possible the company gave out embossed versions of all the regular cards as promos at a particular show, maybe the National? However, if it were that big of a show, you'd think we would've seen some by now. Sometimes it's hard to see what you're not looking for.

And yes, David, please check your stuff.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I will have to check my binder when I get a chance. I might be able to do so later today.

Looking at Jeff's website, am I correct in saying that he says that the regular Series 1 card set was sold as a set of 10 ? If so, then isn't it unlikely that someone would have singles from this set ? That is, if you have a single, maybe it IS a promo ?

Also, Jeff lists a promo # 2 which is totally different from the regular card # 2. Is this an error ?

I see on ebay a few of the factory sets for Indian Motorcycles Series 2 (no Series 1) which come with a bandana. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will check.

I just noticed on ebay right now, packs of the Series 1 cards, and they have scans of the fronts and backs of each of the 10 cards. So Albert can compare what he has to those cards to see if there is a difference.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you David. That was a great idea!

So I compared my #9 card to the photo and unless there exists a difference in the thickness or color of the card, it's the same one. No one has apparently seen the #1 card promo version listed in PCE either. I wish Todd was around because his descriptions of this series' promos are lacking. Back to the drawing board once again.

I am rather confident, though, that card #3 with the embossed stamp is a "promo card" considering the source I obtained it from decades ago.
I really like the embossed motorcycle promo and the 2 holograms from series II. They're so well made.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Here's a scan of the hologram, plus the back of the variant that is blank where the serial number would be and the back of the promo variant. The variant that was a random insert in the packs is serial-numbered out of 150,000 instead of being blank or saying "promo" in that box at the bottom.

Jess

quote: