Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    anyone have info if this is a promo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone have info if this is a promo?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted
gday everyone, now, I know someone out there has some info on this card i found, the front has 3 animated colour drawings, the back states it as advertisement Robert Crumb's A short history of America... a brief story on the underground artist and how to order the posters from kitchen sink press,
can anyone shed some light on this promo/card??
quote:
please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord if the idiots

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
A scan would help Smile

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
That actual poster is one of the few I have on my wall. It is a classic work of art.

The card you describe is very likely from the Kitchen Sink set issued in 1987 or 1988. I think it was a 32 card set. They were issued 1 per week at comic shops and were offered briefly as complete sets directly from Kitchen Sink once the promotion had ended. They are a little bigger than regular cards. Subjects include the many varied projects the now defunct Kitchen Sink press was publishing/distributing around that time. I haven't looked at them in a long time, but I think there are at least 2 more cards featuring Robert Crumb artwork in the set.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I took a look at the Kitchen Sink cards I described (it's actually 36 cards and is from 1989), but didn't notice the Short History of America card in question.

I have seen it before though, so I'm now thinking it was a promo card in one of the Kitchen Sink boxed card sets. I'll see if I can find it.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have this card and also believe it could have been a bonus card inserted with one of the Kitchen Sink boxed sets or it might have just been sent to some dealers like the Ed Wood Jr. Players (Kitchen Sink) card which was also marked as an "advertisement."

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I took a look at the Kitchen Sink cards I described (it's actually 36 cards and is from 1989), but didn't notice the Short History of America card in question.

I have seen it before though, so I'm now thinking it was a promo card in one of the Kitchen Sink boxed card sets. I'll see if I can find it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The original 12-panel work details not just the urbanization of America across the roughly 100 years between the mid-19th and mid-20th centuries but also the increasing ugliness of it as the trees disappear, the cars take over and the buildings lose character. There have been different versions of it over the years including a color version and a 15-panel piece showing three possible futures for the 12th panel. The card shows three of the twelve panels of a color poster version.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
yes Cats, that's the card, Thanks for the info. So it's a promo you think? Thumb Up

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, it's a promo all the way. Todd lists it in PCE2008.

quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
yes Cats, that's the card, Thanks for the info. So it's a promo you think? Thumb Up