Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Star Toon Ups
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I'm trying to compile a list of how many promos are confirmed to exist.

I personally have seen 43:

BASEBALL

Will Power
Ben Dover
Terry Aki
Randy Baysez
Cat food Hunzinger
Seymour Orless
Homer Dome
Otto DePark
Willy Makitt
Barry Clever
Tina Colada
Dusty Bottoms
Sal Minnilla
Andy Mistitt
Ivan Kotchadozinov
Les Filling
Phil Delphia
Mo
Harry Pitz
Hugh Mungus
Stan Dupp

FOOTBALL

Trudy Uprights
Robin Steele
Juan Moyard
Bud Oxx
Charley Davidson
Willie Ketchitt
Donald Stump
Cliff Dyver
Mo
Andy Skorz
Ron DeBallback
Thor Luzer
Ty Mout
Big Al Katraz
Wes Coast
Rocky Rhodes
Jim Nast
Warren Piece
Deacon Fuzion
Monty Zuma
Rusty Springs
Kenny Duett

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Add to the list Phil Delphia (baseball).

So at least 37 promos confirmed.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I don't have any different football ones in my collection. On the baseball ones, there exist the additional following: Justin Case; Mike Easter; Sam Quentin and Hugh Mungus. I do believe that there is a promotional counterpart for each regularly issued card out there making it a total of 50 different promo cards.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
To update the list above, I found Warren Piece and Monty Zuma.

I also found 3 NEW ones not listed:

Rusty Springs (football)
Kenny Duett (football)
Mo (not the football one, but a BASEBALL card)

So there are at least 44 different ones confirmed. I personally have 37.

posted Hide Post
Promoking is absolutely correct in his belief that there are 50 promo cards in these two sets. I completed the football set in 2018 and since there are 25 promo cards in that set it's reasonable to assume that there are also 25 in the baseball series. I still lack 5 cards of that set so I now have 45 of the estimated 50 cards. In case anyone has any spares I'm missing the Authenticity Card, Stan Dupp, Harry Pitz, Mo Monet and Hugh Mungus. Yesterday I decided that both sets needed new penny sleeves and 9 pocket pages. In the process I looked more closely at the back of each card. Until then I thought that all of the cards had identical backs with "Promotional" printed on each card. I am now slightly confused as one card in each set has a noticeable difference on it's back. In the football set Kenny Duett also has a small rectangular box on the lower right-hand side of the card with the word "PROTOTYPE". When I checked the baseball set every card had identical backs except one. My Sam Quentin has the same little box with the same word in it. I would really like to know if anyone else has the same two cards with that word or even more importantly do you have either of these two cards without Prototype on their backs. Would also like to know if anyone has some other card in either set that has the extra word on its back.

Posts: 30 | Location: OKLAHOMA CITY, OK | Registered: May 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I have developed a theory about these 2 sets and why they are so hard to complete. I went back to my doubles and surprisingly I have several spare cards for these sets- but of those, I found 3 and 4 copies each of Andy Skorz and Ben Dover and 2 copies of many other cards while none of others. I now believe that several cards in each set were short printed and others over-printed in order to sow the "collector fever" mentality and drum up publicity and business for the manufacturer. Given that so many people on this board have been attempting to finish their sets for decades, and none (other than one hardy soul)who has completed half, have been able to do so, the print run manipulation theory is the only sensible and viable explanation given the evidence adduced on these fascinating little sets.
I'm still missing the Football Prototype card mentioned by Kyfhomp plus a couple of others and 1 Baseball card . The good news is that I can confirm that the Sam Quentin card has the word PROTOTYPE factory inscribed on the back. This set is almost as interesting as the Biosphere!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So I was looking around on ebay today, and I found these:

Deacon Fuzion
Harry Pitz
Hugh Mungus
Stan Dupp
Les Filling
Jim Nast

I now have 43 of the 50, by my count.

I seem to have 22 of the 25 football ones, and 21 of the 25 baseball promos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I'm missing 3 football and 1 baseball. I should learn the names of the cards I'm missing. I usually just pull out the album where they're housed and compare those to the picture I'm looking at on the computer!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just updated the list above from 2017. Made a mistake on that one. Ivan is a baseball promo, not a football one.

So there are promo versions of the 2 authenticity cards ? I have never seen those. If so, then those are 2 of the 7 that I am missing

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These are the ones that I definitely do not have:

(baseball)
Sam Quentin
Justin Case
Mike Easter
Authenticity card

(football)
Slip Disque
Dwight Krawler
Authenticity card

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Updated the list above.