Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video Yesteryear
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted
Oh boy. Anyone know anything about these?

A video tape series called "Video Yesteryear", each seeming to contain a black and white card about the size of a VHS tape. It looks like these are public domain movies and if that is a card number instead of a movie file number of some sort, oh boy.

I want to know if these are paper or card stock, without buying one.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Video Images was the name of the company that transferred old black and white movies of the 30's and 40's to VHS as Video Yesteryear. Many of the movies were classics, but the copies were generally of sub-par quality. Still they were cheap, often sold in bargain stores, and it was well before the demise of VHS.

I just took a quick check of my old stash, having purged about 90% of all tapes I had, and I found 2 of them. None had any inserts other than the tape itself and neither one was The Corpse Vanishes. I can't really recall, but I doubt if I would throw out anything of substance that belonged with them. So either these are just random inserts with certain films and/or they were single papers.

I doubt Video Yesteryear was producing any card like inserts worth keeping when the tapes themselves were practically hand made. Wink

Posts: 10398 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Now that I'm thinking about it, these tapes are in generic yellow boxes and there is no writing on the box to identify the film inside.

I think you are looking at the paper sleeve that was probably under the plastic wrap of the box, which had the title. I wrote the movie name on the boxes myself, so I probably threw out the extra sheet. Just my guess, but it sounds right to me.

Posts: 10398 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I asked a seller of a few tapes with these inserts what the material was they were printed on and he/she said it was card stock, not flimsy paper. They are definitely cheap, but they qualify at this point as a product premium (in my opinion) and I'm going to keep looking into them (not too hard though).

The spine of the tape has a label that gives the title of the movie and about a sentence worth of synopsis. I don't think the insert was visible in an unopened tape.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post