Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X-Men Watch cards
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted
Remember these? X-Men cards included with a watch...the fronts have the character name with each letter in its own gold colored box.

Anyone know what the watch brand or product name was?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Picture(s)?
I don't think I know of these.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I do not have any images of them. They have painted fronts and the backs are all different colors and with a comic illustration in a box.

Cyclops. Prof x, wolverine, Phoenix, original X-men, and Cable.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I knew I had seen at least one somewhere. The company was Character Time. When in doubt, check with abs-cards.net for oddball Marvel cards.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I never thought to check Amalia's site. Thanks man. Is she still active? What a nice person. I glad I got to put a face to the name at a San Diego show.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Those are new to me.
Just like the Internet, my mind went right to the movies, not the comics, shame on me!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I think there was another set for watches, but it was a foil insert card (Marvel Masterpieces 94 maybe?) with one of the bottom corners cut at an angle. They mirror the cards from whatever set they came from, other than the cut. I dont consider them true promos. Anyone can make one.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,

I've seen at least one of those cut-corner cards. I thought it was maybe an in-house prototype that got out, but yeah, anyone could fake that. I like that Marvel Premium QFX promo that had "Sample" die-cut out of it. Why didn't they do that again? Did somebody lose the cookie-cutter?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
I think there was another set for watches, but it was a foil insert card (Marvel Masterpieces 94 maybe?) with one of the bottom corners cut at an angle. They mirror the cards from whatever set they came from, other than the cut. I dont consider them true promos. Anyone can make one.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That reminds of of the gold foil chase cards on the Marvel Masterpieces 1996 set.

Each of the 6 chase cards were sent to comic stores/dealers with the one corner cut off, as "promos". Otherwise, they are identical to the regular chase cards. I recall stores receiving maybe 1 of the 6, certainly not all.

I haven't looked at my binder in awhile, but I believe that I have maybe 4 different of the gold "promos" on the 1996 set.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Tom, your post inspired me to look to see what cut gold chase cards I have on the 1996 set.

I have promo versions of Cyclops, Sabretooth, Wolverine, and Spider-Man, which are # 1, 4, 5 and 6 of 6.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that these were made into dealer promo cards by clipping the corners off of them? Why would they do that?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, those 6 gold cards were sent to comic stores as promos with the lower left hand corners clipped. That's where I obtained mine back in 1996.

I don't have the Hulk or Magneto, but I have the other 4. They show up on ebay.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a Cyclops on ebay now for $ 50.00.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the watch cards, Amalia's website says that there are 5. Quote:

X-Men Watch cards: A company by the name of Character Time sold X-Men watches and you got one of these cards for each watch bought. The cards are slightly bigger than regular size trading cards, measuring 2.75" x 3.75". (1993 Marvel Ent. Group)
Cable
Cyclops
Dark Phoenix
Professor Xavier
Wolverine
X-Men

There is a watch on the auction site now with the Cyclops card.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I put that watch w/card on my watch list.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Yep those are the cards they cut. I cant believe anyone would pay 50 bucks for one. Thats crazy.

And yeah,Tommy, thats correct...six of them.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I've seen the chase cards for that set and they have sold for up to $75.00 each. The promos have sold for that as well. i never liked the idea of the cut corners either. Now there's a story I'd like to know about. Who made the decision to "cut corners" on this set by deciding not to issue a separate promo card?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I recall that the 1996 Marvel Masterpieces set was very controversial when it came out, because a box was like $ 150 and you couldn't get a base set out of it. That was totally unheard of at the time. Maybe that's why there was no set in 1997.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
That reminds of of the gold foil chase cards on the Marvel Masterpieces 1996 set.

Each of the 6 chase cards were sent to comic stores/dealers with the one corner cut off, as "promos". Otherwise, they are identical to the regular chase cards. I recall stores receiving maybe 1 of the 6, certainly not all.

The #6 Wolverine cut corner promo version of the chase card just sold for between $75.00 and $100.00 on the bay. I'm not able to tell exactly how much, but in checking the seller's sales, it was between those prices.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:

The #6 Wolverine cut corner promo version of the chase card just sold for between $75.00 and $100.00 on the bay.

That's just pure lunacy. I wouldn't pay $2 bucks for it. I wonder if they overprinted the sheets of those and had more than they needed for packs, so they just used them that way. That's the only thing I can think of.

I don't know what any of you paid for yours, and no disrespect was meant by my comment.