Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    L.A. Rams Cheerleaders/Image Comics cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L.A. Rams Cheerleaders/Image Comics cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
These are sort of weird. PCE lists a handful of early 1990s promos in which the fronts depict photos of cheerleaders of the Los Angeles Rams football team, and the backs show Image Comics characters

Anyone ever see these ? I have not. Wonder how they were distributed and how many different ones there are

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I've seen all the ones listed. I always like finding one.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had seen maybe 4-5 signed singles over the years but then I found what was said to be a complete set - 43 different unsigned cards. It was in its own specially-printed box. The seller said he got it sometime ago from the boyfriend of one of the cheerleaders. It appears each cheerleader and maybe other Rams employees received a set of these and each cheerleader was given a quantity of her card to sign and give out at fan events.

I listed the cards in the PCE additions/corrections thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
These are sort of weird. PCE lists a handful of early 1990s promos in which the fronts depict photos of cheerleaders of the Los Angeles Rams football team, and the backs show Image Comics characters

Anyone ever see these ? I have not. Wonder how they were distributed and how many different ones there are

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are the Image Comics characters on all 43 cards as well ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's an Extreme Studios logo and artwork of Youngblood (I think) giving a thumb's up on the backs of all the cards. It's a little larger on the header card.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Are the Image Comics characters on all 43 cards as well ?

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the front of one of the cards typical of most in the set, a full body portrait, but a few of them have "game action" type photos and there's one group shot of members of the stunt team.

As noted above, you tend to see signed ones for sale and it has seemed to be the same 3 or 4 cards that have been available over the past several years other than the apparent near-set that I found a few years ago.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the header card from the boxed set:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists a "Keely L. Fimbres" card in the set. In the boxed set I have, there is a "Keely Fimbres" card but not a "Keely L. Fimbres." I thought the middle initial might be a typo but another collector told me that card definitely exists. Here's the one I have. Maybe the other one has a different photo on the front.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's the front of one of the cards typical of most in the set, a full body portrait, but a few of them have "game action" type photos and there's one group shot of members of the stunt team.

As noted above, you tend to see signed ones for sale and it has seemed to be the same 3 or 4 cards that have been available over the past several years other than the apparent near-set that I found a few years ago.

I was just looking through an old binder and came upon one of these signed cards, Kelley Blunt, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader from Lime Rock. I think I may have 2 or 3 others somewhere, but no idea where they came from. Probably a $2 box from a local weekend show back in the day. She just signed her first name and a little heart drawing. No way to authenticate it, but really who would fake it. Big Grin

So my question is, does anyone know of any lady who appeared in these cheerleader or oddball pinup sets that ever became famous for anything?

That's the same reason why I don't know how Bench Warmers endured so long. They're not really racy enough as cards and I don't know anybody who became anything, although there are a couple that sometimes get mentioned that I still don't know.

Anyway you would think that some of these cheerleaders might have landed a player or two, if nothing else. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

So my question is, does anyone know of any lady who appeared in these cheerleader or oddball pinup sets that ever became famous for anything?

"Former Los Angeles Rams cheerleader Tracy Ann Donaho pleaded not guilty Monday to charges that she participated in a drug ring that shipped cocaine to cities across the country."
Santa Cruz CA Sentinel 12/17/1993
Is this what you mean?

Jenilee Harrison (Three's Company), Apollonia Kotero (Purple Rain), were former LA Rams cheerleaders, but she was way before these sets of cards. Lisa Guerrero (also LA Rams) had a minor acting career (Batman Returns) and was a Fox NFL and ABC MNF reporter.

If you go through, for example, one of the Lime Rock cheerleader sets and start Googling names, you find that a few have minor IMDB profiles or are otherwise successful in business in their post-cheering careers, but I can't think of anyone on a cheerleaders or Bench Warmers trading card who is A-level famous.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

"Former Los Angeles Rams cheerleader Tracy Ann Donaho pleaded not guilty Monday to charges that she participated in a drug ring that shipped cocaine to cities across the country."
Santa Cruz CA Sentinel 12/17/1993
Is this what you mean?

Sure, a successful businesswoman ahead of her time. They would make an HBO special out of that now. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

but I can't think of anyone on a cheerleaders or Bench Warmers trading card who is A-level famous.

Wasn't Teri Hatcher a cheerleader or maybe yes but never on a card?

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Debbie Harry of Blondie was a Playboy Bunny but I don't know if she ever appeared on a trading card.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Debbie Harry of Blondie was a Playboy Bunny but I don't know if she ever appeared on a trading card.

Going that route, Stella Stevens in Playboy 1993 and Pamela Anderson Playboy 1994 cards. They didn't mind signing them either, as I have both autographed. The "Pamela Lee" covered it up though. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Teri Hatcher was a 49ers cheerleader but back in the 80's before there were card sets for the squad. There used to be a sports memorabilia store, The Fan Club, in San Jose, CA that specialized in 49ers stuff and it created one 49er cheerleaders card set in 1995 but I don't think anyone from that got famous later.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

but I can't think of anyone on a cheerleaders or Bench Warmers trading card who is A-level famous.

Wasn't Teri Hatcher a cheerleader or maybe yes but never on a card?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If your Lime Rock card is blank on the back, it's an uncommon/rather rare autograph chase card that was inserted in packs. If your card has a base card back, then it's a card someone had signed later. Yeah, probably not something someone would fake.

Brooke Morales and Gretchen Stockdale were Raiderettes in the early 90's and they were in the Lime Rock set. They seemed to be doing well as models after that because you'd see them on posters, calendars, and Bench Warmer cards. Morales got into acting but that career didn't really take off.

Linda Sobek was also a Raiderette and in the Lime Rock set. She was killed in 1995 on a photoshoot by the photographer so that was on the news around here. You might see vultures still trying to get a premium for cards and photos she signed.

Stacy Keibler was a 1999 Baltimore Ravens cheerleader but I don't know if she is on a card from her time there. Some of the squads did print up sets in the 90's to be signed at local events. She got famous when she got into pro wrestling and she appeared on cards from that.

A few Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders (Kelli Finglass and Judy Trammell of the "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team reality show; Sarah Shahi, actress from various TV shows) over the years have become famous but I don't know if they were on any cards as cheerleaders.

quote:
quote:

I was just looking through an old binder and came upon one of these signed cards, Kelley Blunt, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader from Lime Rock. I think I may have 2 or 3 others somewhere, but no idea where they came from. Probably a $2 box from a local weekend show back in the day. She just signed her first name and a little heart drawing. No way to authenticate it, but really who would fake it. Big Grin

That's the same reason why I don't know how Bench Warmers endured so long. They're not really racy enough as cards and I don't know anybody who became anything, although there are a couple that sometimes get mentioned that I still don't know.

Anyway you would think that some of these cheerleaders might have landed a player or two, if nothing else. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
If your Lime Rock card is blank on the back, it's an uncommon/rather rare autograph chase card that was inserted in packs.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jess, the back is blank. I'm pretty sure I got that one from a dealer who used to specialize in non-sport cards when I would go to a local show. I wouldn't have gotten this in a personal signing, so I'm not surprised it was a pack insert. One of those rare cards no one wanted then or now, I'm sure. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Allender notes those blank-back autos as "scarce" so they may be a lot rarer than one per box. Yours would also be a new one for his checklist. Despite the scarcity, they aren't big money, but if it's NM, you're looking at a $10-20 card.

quote:
quote:
If your Lime Rock card is blank on the back, it's an uncommon/rather rare autograph chase card that was inserted in packs.

Thanks Jess, the back is blank. I'm pretty sure I got that one from a dealer who used to specialize in non-sport cards when I would go to a local show. I wouldn't have gotten this in a personal signing, so I'm not surprised it was a pack insert. One of those rare cards no one wanted then or now, I'm sure. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found an image of the "Keely L. Fimbres" card from the Rams Cheerleaders set. It does have a different photo. It might have been distributed separately as it recounts her time as a cheerleader, her job with the team on the other card, and notes that she has taken different job with the team as an Assistant Entertainment Director.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What about Julie Strain? She was in several card sets in the 90's including the early Bench Warmers and two Comic Images sets showcasing her though you could say she was already a well-known model by then. She appeared in some action movies as well. She died early this year.

Amber Lancaster was a "Sea Gal," a Seattle Seahawks cheerleader during the 2000's but I don't think the team created any cards. She was in at least one Bench Warmer set (2004). She's been on TV shows - currently a "Price is Right" model.

As for cheerleaders who married players, I can't think of one but would be surprised if that hasn't happened. Stacy Keibler dated George Clooney for a while. Florida Senator, Marco Rubio, is married to Jeanette Dousdebes, a former Miami Dolphins cheerleader.

quote: