Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cardlynx promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
These cards were mentioned in the "Victoria Gallery promos" thread in 2018. It does not appear that the manufacturer, Cardlynx, is still in business (website gone) but it made some nice sets. They were often 6-card sets with the subjects being mostly types of animals or historical figures (Eagles, Owls, Poultry, Jazz Greats, Gangsters) and the cards are not standard size, being roughly 2 3/8 x 3 1/8 inches (62mm x 79mm). Cardlynx was based in the UK.

From what I've seen all the sets featured artwork rather than photos. I like the artwork of the animals.

The promos are not marked as such. Usually, the front is the same as one of the cards in the regular set but the promo has a caption on the front not on the front of the regular card. The back is also different. The regular card back provides brief background information on the subject while the promo provides a mini checklist of other cards made by Cardlynx at the top left and it says "ASK YOUR DEALER FOR CARDLYNX COLLECTORS CARDS" in white letters within black bar at the middle of the card back. The bar is the upper border of a rectangular space that can be blank or contain contact information for a card dealer. What I didn't notice until last year was that at least two of the sets had promos with a blank space variant and a card dealer address variant or two different dealer address variants.

I have 12 different ones including a few of the back variations as follows:

Butterflies - two different: one promotes the London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.; the other is blank where an address would be.
Eagles - one that promotes the London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.
Golfers - two different: one promotes the London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.; the other promotes Murray Cards (International) Ltd.
Horses - one that promotes the London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.
Lighthouses - one that promotes the London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.
Poultry Breeds - two different: one promotes the London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.; the other is blank where an address would be.
Seashells - one that promotes the London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.
Victorian Poultry - one that promotes the London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd.

I have one other one that is different from the rest in that the front shows images from two different sets (Owls and Gangsters). The back is also different. It provides a larger checklist of other sets for sale and says "Checklist 1." at the top. There isn't a space for dealer contact info on it. Two different collectors have told me this is the hardest one to find.

I would swear that I saw another promo showing images from two different sets (Owls and Parrots) maybe 10-15 years ago but haven't seen it since. Other than that possible "dream card," I haven't seen any other ones.

You can usually pick up one or two at any given time online and they aren't expensive. They are generally $2-3 each though the "Owls and Gangsters" card is more in the $5-10 range.

Here's an image of the "Golfers" front and the two different backs:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
catskilleagle

There is a third back for the Golfers.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John. I figured you might have additional information. I guess it means that there's a blank space variant and one with that stamp with one or both of those being show giveaways.

Have you seen or heard of any other ones?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Cardaddict

There is a third back for the Golfers.

regards

John

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

Apologies for the wrong identity in my post which I have now changed.

I know that in the image of the third back the bottom half looks like a stamp hs been impressed in a blank space but it isn't. It is printed which makes me think that the card was issued by Cardlynx for Cartophilic Society Card clubs or affiliated ones here in the UK as most of them have raffles etc. to bring in extra funds. I don't know of any other card clubs that are in the UK.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a photo of the card that promotes the "Owls" and "Gangsters" sets out on the web but I don't see it anymore. Here's a scan:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the back:-

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John. I should have given at least a brief description of the back.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Here is the back:-

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been forgetting to add that in a lot of Cardlynx cards I bought, there was also a bookmark that appears to be a promo in that it mentions the Eagles set on the back with artwork on the front of one of the Eagles cards while also listing other Cardlynx sets on the front. The back is actually of a postcard though the card is the size and shape of the average bookmark (roughly 2 x 6 5/8 inches or 5 x 17 cm).

I have been told since then that the bookmark is not a promo but part of a set of bookmarks that was originally for sale.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

I have taking the liberty of merging your information about Cardlynx promo cards along with some research I have carried out to produce the following as an entry for the new PCE. Hopefully it all makes sense. I have gone through all my back copies of CCN making notes of their reviews of the regular card sets as well as the promo cards although LCCC refer to them as "Advertisement Cards". Additionally for your information the Bookmarks card were reviewed in the march 2008 issue of CNN and apparently illustrate a subject from 6 sets, Butterflies, Eagles, Golfers, Horses, Poultry Breeds and Victorian Poultry and are sized 170mm x 80mm. I also acknowledge the help that the London Cigarette Card Co provided me with the information printed in their CNN magazine.

CARDLYNX (no year) Cardlynx. Set number n.k. but at least 13 seen and n.n.; inserted in a card dealers magazine Cigarette Card News (CCN); Artwork taken from each regular set; artist n.k. unless stated; size 27/16 x 3⅛ (or 79mm x 62mm as shown in the magazine); promotes the individual card sets as well as the card dealer; fronts show an image taken from the regular card set along with the text Cardlynx in a black stripe with smaller text "High Grade Series" and and the set title, additional text is shown at the bottom below the image; backs have a similar format in that the top half has the text "High Grade Cards for Discerning Collectors" followed by a list of card sets, and the bottom half is printed with details of card dealer "The London Cigarette Card Co. Ltd." (LCCC) below the text "Ask your dealer for Cardlynx Collectors' Cards". Note that the regular card sets are being suggested as ideal for framing as indicated by the small image on the back. British issue.

The following card differs from the rest of the cards in that the front shows two images from the sets and is in a horizontal format. The back is in the form of a checklist of sets issued with no dealer space. This was the first promo card issued.

n.n. Owls - Spectacled Owl, Gangsters - Machine Gun Kelly front art; (both being the #1 card from their respective set whose release dates are 2005 and 2004 respectively). the back lists the first 6 sets that were issued being Owls, Parrots, Space Firsts, Gangsters, Jazz Greats, Poultry. Inserted in CNN issue dated February 2005.
**Note: This card is said to be rare.

The following cards were all in verticle format front and back, art on the front as well as text with a text back listing card sets of 6 as well as showing card dealer details:-

n.n. Golfers - Stroke of Genius, image is of Bobby Jones, the back lists 4 sets and shows dealer LCCC details. Inserted in CNN issue dated January 2007 and in issue dated September 2011.
n.n. Golfers - Stroke of Genius, image is of Bobby Jones, the back lists 4 sets and shows dealer Murray Cards Intl.details (source not known).
n.n. Golfers - Stroke of Genius, image is of Bobby Jones, the back lists 4 sets and shows "Win a FREE Framed Card Set in your Club Raffle" instead of dealer details (source not known).

n.n. Butterflies - Naturally Artistic, image is of a Tailed Birdwing, the back lists 5 sets and shows dealer LCCC details. Inserted in CNN issue dated June 2007.
n.n. Butterflies - Naturally Artistic, image is of a Tailed Birdwing, the back lists 5 sets and shows a blank space where the dealer details are intended to be shown (source not known).

n.n. Victorian Poultry - High Grade Collectors' Items, image is of a Rouen Duck, artwork by Harrison Weir, the back lists 6 sets and shows dealer LCCC details. Inserted in CNN issue dated October 2007.

n.n. Poultry Breeds - High Grade Collectors' Items, image is of the Houdan **** and Hen, artwork by J Ludlow, the back lists 7 sets and shows dealer LCCC details. Inserted in CNN issue dated January 2008.
n.n. Poultry Breeds - High Grade Collectors' Items, image is of the Houdan **** and Hen, artwork by J Ludlow, the back lists 7 sets and shows a blank space where the dealer details are intended to be shown (source not known).

n.n. Horses - Racing Ahead, image is of the Missouri Fox Trotter, the back lists 9 sets and shows dealer LCCC details. Inserted in CNN issue dated February 2008.

n.n. Eagles - Wild & Free, image is of the Martial Eagle, the back lists 8 sets and shows dealer LCCC details. Inserted in CNN issue dated March 2008.

Note the text on the back of the following 2 cards shows "Timeless Cards for Discerning Collectors" instead of "High Grade Cards for Discerning Collectors".

n.n. Sea Shells - Timeless Collector's Items, the image is of the Pacific Triton, the back lists 11 sets and shows dealer LCCC details. Inserted in CNN issue dated April 2008.

n.n. Lighthouses - Seeing the Light, the image is of Cordouan lighthouse guarding the River Gironde near Bordeaux. the back lists 10 sets and shows dealer LCCC details. Inserted in CNN issue dated June 2008.

regards

John