Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Mr. Duran! I hope all is well with you. Thanks for kindness. I'm glad I got to meet you (back when San Diego Comic-Con was still fun), as you were SO helpful with the guide over the years. I got to says thanks in person.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Todd! So glad to see a post from you! I still use your Guides for reference, and have wondered what happened to you. Remember that wild supper at Chili's with about 8 of us crammed at a table? A great memory!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm okay, getting through these weird times like everyone else. I kind of disappeared for several years too and got back into it maybe six years ago. When I saw Promoking had started a PCE update thread, I took it as a challenge.

I haven't been to SDCC since 2001. You're one who did the heavy work - all that compiling, getting it to the printers, and then pulling out your wallet. And let's not forget your general Non-Sport Guide. Everyone who collects cards owes you at least one lunch.

Welcome back,

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
Mr. Duran! I hope all is well with you. Thanks for kindness. I'm glad I got to meet you (back when San Diego Comic-Con was still fun), as you were SO helpful with the guide over the years. I got to says thanks in person.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stevesaunders
posted Hide Post
Todd, A quick “Hello” to an old friend. I have very fond memories of times spent in the promo universe with the best guide and mentor. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Posts: 13 | Location: North Chatham, MA | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Todd, what a terrific surprise ! We have not spoken since...2011 ? Great to see that you are back.

Drop me a line if you'd like.

David
mistermycroft@msn.com

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Don! Chillis dinner is a fond memory for me. Thanks for the hi!

Steve! So great to hear from you. How's the family? You must be a grandfather by now.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stevesaunders
posted Hide Post
Todd, four grandkids. Two of these are Shane’s. He was probably 13 or 14 years old when first accompanying us to Philly. He’s turning 36 in November. Time flies.

Posts: 13 | Location: North Chatham, MA | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw an entry for Ertl Harvest Heritage promos, figured I'd add some info. The Series 1 promos were indeed issued as a promo packet. There was at least one promo for Series 2, and if I find it I'll post details. After that, Ertl did a series of metal-card collector tins, based on tractor manufacturer. There was a generic metal-card promo for those, orange in color, and I have several of those.

I worked in the industry for the better part of a decade back in the '90s. We worked as third-party consultants for a large number of companies and had contacts at many more. Regarding these Ertl cards, I researched, found photos, designed the layout and wrote the backs for all of Series 1. I did a lot of work on Series 2 as well, and helped a bit on the tins. I wrote quite a few other sets of the era and did other third-party work as well.

https://twitter.com/Haley_Hint...152509308930/photo/1

https://twitter.com/Haley_Hint...152509308930/photo/2

I'm going through some old boxes of nonsports stuff. If I see something interesting or have info to share I'll offer it up.

Posts: 14 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Card Talk. It's safe to say that many of us are interested in behind-the-scenes details so it's always great to hear from someone who worked on sets in the 90's (suddenly 20-30 years ago). I don't think I've ever seen a promo for Series 2 and would be interested in getting an extra from you if you have one. It would be great just to see one and read about it. I'd also be interested in the metal promo.

Looking forward to reading more.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by HaleyH:
Saw an entry for Ertl Harvest Heritage promos, figured I'd add some info. The Series 1 promos were indeed issued as a promo packet. There was at least one promo for Series 2, and if I find it I'll post details. After that, Ertl did a series of metal-card collector tins, based on tractor manufacturer. There was a generic metal-card promo for those, orange in color, and I have several of those.

I worked in the industry for the better part of a decade back in the '90s. We worked as third-party consultants for a large number of companies and had contacts at many more. Regarding these Ertl cards, I researched, found photos, designed the layout and wrote the backs for all of Series 1. I did a lot of work on Series 2 as well, and helped a bit on the tins. I wrote quite a few other sets of the era and did other third-party work as well.

https://twitter.com/Haley_Hint...152509308930/photo/1

https://twitter.com/Haley_Hint...152509308930/photo/2

I'm going through some old boxes of nonsports stuff. If I see something interesting or have info to share I'll offer it up.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Hi Haley! Thanks for posting and sharing. I would love to see the cards you mentioned so I can include them in my new volume of PCE.

Can you please email me?

Pcetodd@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon.

Todd

posted Hide Post
The two Twitter links above show the metal promo front/back, Todd. The cards were made for Ertl by Metallic Impressions, which also did their own sets and worked with Classic and other companies. We hooked them up with Ertl.

I have boxes of cards spread over two states, along with unusual stuff from uncut sheets to a couple of true prototypes and pre-print proofs. So uncovering something will be a matter of just stumbling across it at this point.

Catskilleagle, please just contact me at haleyhintze@yahoo.com. I'm really not looking to acquire anything at this time, however.

Re: the metal Ertl promo, you'll discover it's a medium-light orange color and shows the silhouette of a tractor that doesn't exist. They didn't want to do four metal promos, and they also didn't want to do something like a metal John Deere promo and then try to use it to market to Case/International Harvester or Ford/New Holland collectors. It turns out toy-tractor fans are very provincial. So the tractor depicted was created by Ertl artists to not look like any recognizable real tractor.

Seguing to another item I saw in the PCE lists, the Inkworks 2000 "five years of business thank-you" signed and numbered card in a lucite block. I believe those first started being sent out in 1999, not 2000, though a lot of them were given out at the 2000 Philly show.

I believe Allan Caplan (prez and founder of Graffiti/Inkworks) and Martha -- I can't remember her last name but she was director of marketing or somesuch -- signed all of them, and an assortment of employees rotated to do the third signature. I have one still in shrinkwrap that's numbered in the 300's.

Posts: 14 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I love tractor sets - never seen these

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HaleyH:

Seguing to another item I saw in the PCE lists, the Inkworks 2000 "five years of business thank-you" signed and numbered card in a lucite block. I believe those first started being sent out in 1999, not 2000, though a lot of them were given out at the 2000 Philly show.

I believe Allan Caplan (prez and founder of Graffiti/Inkworks) and Martha -- I can't remember her last name but she was director of marketing or somesuch -- signed all of them, and an assortment of employees rotated to do the third signature. I have one still in shrinkwrap that's numbered in the 300's.

Hi Haley,
You seem to know a lot of people in the trading card business. Did you stay around that industry after your time with ERTL? We always welcome anyone who can shed more light on the provenance and existence of the samples, prototypes, proofs and promo cards that we've appreciated for decades but knew little about . Please don't disappear.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think "knew" a lot of people would be more accurate. That was a long time ago, the '90s trading-card heyday. No, I moved on to other work and another career (or three) once that bubble burst. Once in a while, though, I'll see a reference to someone and say to myself, "Hey, I knew him way back when...." I didn't actually work -at- Ertl, though I was there quite a few times. Our company consulted with lots of different cardmakers. When working with Ertl, I also visited some of the farm-machinery manufacturers while hunting for photos, and that took me to several states.

posted Hide Post
Oh, a PS to the Ertl Series 1 promos. I believe now that I think on it that there were two 4-card promo packets, one for John Deere toy tractors and the other for Case-IH toy tractors. I won't have a chance to hunt for these for a few weeks but if I'm correct I'll post that here. Somewhere I think I've got a handful of each packet.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have some tractor cards somewhere. I think they may have issued with a toy tractor of some sort but until I find them I can't be sure. PCE does list Ertl and John Deere promos.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be correct, John. The Series I product came both in a "hobby" foil pack/box that mixed all the tractor brands, and then boxed sets for each brand's run of cards were also packaged with a toy of that same brand (for example, John Deere) to be sold through farm-equipment dealerships. The hobby foil was the only way to get cards of different tractor brands in the same pack or box.

Somehow it all sold well enough to justify a second series and then the metal tin sets. The first series was printed at Outlook Graphics in Wisconsin, which did tons of other card sets for companies such as Fleer. They also did the boxed sets, and I was amazed when an engineer there showed me how they designed the box that ended up holding both the box set and the toy tractor side-by-side. That entire box with all its folds and cutouts was designed to be cut from a single piece of firm paper stock thinner than your average trading card.

Series 2 of Ertl was printed up at Quebecor/Ronald's in Montreal, Quebec. That company did tons of comic books and was trying to break into the card business, and was also willing to lowball a few projects to get rolling. Such was the way the industry worked.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Haley, this is all interesting stuff that never appears in print that often.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
To Haley
You say your Inkworks 1999,2000 Thank you card is sealed .This is something that I have been trying to find out for a long time.
Wether it was issued as loose cards or in a sealed set.
It is said that this card was issued as a set with three other ordinary promo cards .
That is how i brought mine loose cards.
Is your card sealed as a single card or is it sealed with the other three cards.
Thanks
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piko, it's a single card, three autographs, sealed in a lucite block about an inch thick. I do not remember it being with any other promos, but that was over two decades ago. Martha sent it to our office and I ended up with it.