Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/5707083576

August 31, 2017, 05:49 PM
catskilleagle
PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections
David,

I sent you scans of the front and back of this card today but I don't see how photos are posted to the forum - no attach icon unless I'm missing it somehow. I see that people have posted photos before. If a moderator doesn't see this, can anyone else give me the steps to post a photo?

Jess

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Can someone post a pic or send me a link of what this ASH chrome card look like ? Does not ring a bell

I am familiar with the promos on the 1997 card set and the Wizard card, but I can't picture this one. Thanks

August 31, 2017, 06:05 PM
catskilleagle
Hi Promoking,

This card is actually part of the Event Comics Fan Club membership packet which I listed under "E." The packet was something you could buy in a comic book store but might have been a mailaway as well. The packet included two comics including Ash "0," an exclusive (not sure if the other was an exclusive), a signed artwork, the chromiun card, and the 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 card. The packet cost $6-7 originally and is hard-to-find that cheap now.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:

Ash (no year). 1 card set. Chromium. Front has a comic character with a planet glowing in the background. Back says "Event Comics Quesada & Palmiotti". Presumably promotes a comic book. No manufacturer.

September 12, 2017, 03:58 AM
catskilleagle
Hi Cecil,

They are marked on the back.

I have seen only one card marked "Kroger" and "7-Eleven."

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
Where are any of the cards marked "sample"? Another question, are there more than 1 card marked Kroger and 7 Eleven?

quote:
An American Tale : Fievel Goes West (1991). Impel.
"Cat R. Waul"; has Pizza Hut logo but not marked as a sample.

September 15, 2017, 09:56 AM
David R
I thought that there were 7 promos total on American Tail

1 Kroger / 7-11

3 samples

3 Pizza Hutt promos

I will have to pull my binder to check
September 28, 2017, 06:48 PM
catskilleagle
I was in a comic book store a couple of weeks ago buying a couple of issues for my nieces when I noticed an unopened back issue of Advance Comics on the counter. It had Green Hornet comic artwork from the early 90's on the cover. I was going to ask how much it was but the clerk just gave it to me just because I showed some interest. Someone had found it in a box with some comic back issues. It still had the Marvel Universe 3 hologram promo inside and in great shape too. And this was on top of the clerk giving me a discount on the comics. Nice people.

After getting home, I paged through it and found some card info. PCE2008 lists "Nike Trading Cards" which was a 6 card set packaged in a fold-up box. It features images from earlier TV ads that starred Spike Lee (as Mars Blackmon) and Michael Jordan.
In the late 90's I was told it was sent to poster dealers, but in the issue of Advance Comics I just got (#40, April 1992), there's an ad for the set and it's among the products in the orderbook that accompanies the issue.

The Advance Comics ad even mentions that these sets were sold in a display box. I've never seen that box and only a couple of packs so I wonder how good of a seller it was back in 1992 and if some packs were actually just given out later.

The PCE2008 listing does note a seventh card which is part promo card; part order card direct from Nike. Todd knew the set was was not a promo but likely included it anyway because it was unlikely to be listed elsewhere other than perhaps some obscure guide to oddball Jordan cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
October 09, 2017, 01:32 AM
catskilleagle
Hi Cecil,

PCE didn't cover cards that were meant to be cut off of packaging. He notes that at the front of PCE2008 where he noted the inclusion of product premiums. You might recall that Todd did not include product premiums in the first few editions of the guide. Todd didn't say why he didn't include cut-out cards but assume it's the same reason he didn't provide values for inbound cards in magazines/comics. Cutting them out would decrease the value of the publication or the cereal box, cereal boxes being collectible to some people as well.

Iron-ons and mini-comics might be pushing the rules as well. I can't recall offhand if any iron-ons or mini-comics are covered. I have wondered if any promo mini-tattoos are listed (vague memory of at least one listed). Those are roughly card-sized and card-like enough to fit in a sleeve and top loader. Along with Fish-O-Saurs stickers, Van de Kamps released mini-tattoos with the same artwork as the stickers.

In any case thanks for listing those as I'm sure there is some overlap between card and cereal box/other flattenable product packaging collecting.

Jess

P.S. Flattenable. adj. refers to an object that can be flattened yet still retain its essential structure and collectible value.

quote:
NEW ADDITIONS 2017-

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 1993 n.n. Pillsbury Two cards were printed on the back of their Deluxe Brownie and Deluxe Bar mix. The cards have black printed perf marks, cards are approximately 2.75"x3.5". The distribution of the cards were as follows:

Oreo Deluxe Bars mix- Snow White and Dopey.
Nutter Butter Deluxe Bars- Grumpyand Sneezy.
Hot Fudge Brownie mix- Sleepy and Bashful.
Cream Cheese Swirl Deluxe Brownie mix- Happy and Doc.
=======

Flintstone and Jetson Iron-Ons. 1992 n.n. Carnation Instant Cocoa. Tri-folded panels 3"x3.5"
2 characters per panel with instructions on the center panel.

n.n. Fred on wooden ski/ Astro and Elroy on raft
n.n. Wilma on wooden ice skates / Rosie the Robot
n.n. Barney ice fishing / George on rocket ship in single ski
n.n. Bamm-Bamm with Dino on sled / Jane on rocket powered skates
======

Superheroes Mini-Comics 1993 n.n. Cinnamon Mini-Buns cereal. Comics measure approximately 2.5"x3.75" with 8 pages.

n.n. Flash VS Dr. Polaris
n.n. Superman VS Metallo
n.n. Wonder Woman and the StarRiders
n.n. Justice Keague America VS Amazo
=======

=======

October 12, 2017, 07:40 PM
catskilleagle
PCE is a pretty loose assemblage of cards. Todd broke his own rules sometimes. I think the listings you've provided are useful - stuff I didn't know about. Those cards should be listed somewhere. Why not make your own thread?

Jess

quote:
Thanks for your input Jess. Me personally, if a product has cards on the back meant to be cutout, I leave the boxes intact. It would be a shame for these products and premiums to be lost forever because it didn't "fit". Same goes for Todd listing certain sports cards cause they aren't listed anywhere else. I didn't realize that box premiums shouldn't be posted so I won't post them anymore. One thing I am finally realizing is my style of collecting doesn't belong here.

November 07, 2017, 07:34 PM
Cecil
Since many people here collect dinosaur cards I thought I’d share this with you all. Lowery Big Beef, product of Curtis Burns Meat Snacks. Issued in panels of 2, no date, set of 12.

November 07, 2017, 10:39 PM
Cecil
FOXARAMA 1994 numbered (3.75”x4”) 8 card set Revenge of the Nerds IV #1-4; Living Single #1-4. All cards are ‘Scratch & Sniff’ Cards all coinciding with numbered moments in the tv shows.

November 07, 2017, 11:13 PM
catskilleagle
Hi Cecil,

I collect dinosaur cards too. I don't think I've seen those before. Do you know about when those were available?

Jess

quote:
Since many people here collect dinosaur cards I thought I’d share this with you all. Lowery Big Beef, product of Curtis Burns Meat Snacks. Issued in panels of 2, no date, set of 12.

November 08, 2017, 12:39 AM
Cecil
I’ve had these cards for at least 20 years. I think I only have two different panels.
November 08, 2017, 04:21 PM
Tommy C
See the 2005 Bazooka Joe card by Topps in the DVDs. Scan below.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....317072886#2317072886
November 17, 2017, 10:09 PM
Cecil
Here is a scan of the 2 RARE CC’s Simpson’s cards from Australia.

Correction to updated post:

Simpsons, The (1998) Fox 30 card set. Inserted 1 per package in CC's foods.
There are 32 cards in this set. Cards 31 and 32 are marked "rare".
December 16, 2017, 08:24 PM
Cecil
Back to the Future (1985) approximately 2.25” X 2.875” Canadian issue Kellogg’s cereal insert back of cards in French and English as with most Canadian issued cards. These cards appear to be some sort of scratch-off game with instructions on the printed sheet on the back of each card. I don’t know if these cards are numbered or the quantity of set. I have 7 cards all still in original cellophane so I can’t help with that info.

January 07, 2018, 09:02 PM
Cecil
IN July of 1993, Kellogg's issued 2 different Endangered Animal 4 sticker sets. Stickers in each set measures 2.75"x2.75" and are "artwork" instead of photos. Each sticker came with a $0.50 coupon with no expiration date. Here is the checklist of the 2 sets:

Kellogg's Froot Loops - Orangutan, Bird of Paradise, Zebra, Giraffe.

Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies - Tiger, Parrot, Crocodile, Elephant.

I can post photos later if anyone is interested.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cecil,
January 11, 2018, 10:45 PM
Cecil
WHO CAN VERIFY THE CHECKLIST IN PCE 2008??

ACTION MASTERS (1994) SKYBOX / KENNER 22 CARD SET INSERTED IN ACTION MASTERS METAL FIGURINES. $4.00 EACH

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cecil,
January 12, 2018, 01:02 AM
catskilleagle
Hi Cecil,

I don't remember these. Yes, please post photos.

Jess

quote:
IN July of 1993, Kellogg's issued 2 different Endangered Animal 4 sticker sets. Stickers in each set measures 2.75"x2.75" and are "artwork" instead of photos. Each sticker came with a $0.50 coupon with no expiration date. Here is the checklist of the 2 sets:

Kellogg's Froot Loops - Orangutan, Bird of Paradise, Zebra, Giraffe.
Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies - Tiger, Parrot, Crocodile, Elephant.

I can post photos later if anyone is interested.

January 12, 2018, 07:28 PM
Cecil
See above. I posted just one from each series.
January 16, 2018, 11:00 PM
Cecil
AMUROL Nintendo Game Boy (1993) numbered 1-14 + checklist card n.n. (2" x 3") cards, with gum were inserted into a handheld plastic Game Boy controller: 3 cards per purchase). Cards with the same name have duplicate artwork on front.

#1 of 14 - Dr. Mario Tips 1, 2, 3,
#2 of 14 - Dr. Mario Tips 4, 5.
#3 of 14 - Kirby's Dreamland Tips 1, 2, 3,
#4 of 14 - Kirby's Dreamland Tips 4, 5, 6.
#5 of 14 - Metroid II- The Return of Samus Tips 1, 2, 3, 4,
#6 of 14 - Metroid II- The Return of Samus Tips 5, 6, 7.
#7 of 14 - Super Mario Land 2- 6 Golden Coins Tips 1, 2, 3, 4,
#8 of 14 - Super Mario Land 2- 6 Golden Coins Tips 5, 6, 7.
#9 of 14 - Super Mario Land Tips 1, 2, 3,
#10 of 14 - Super Mario Land Tips 4, 5, 6.
#11 of 14 - Yoshi Tips 1, 2, 3,
#12 of 14 - Yoshi Tips 4, 5, 6.
#13 of 14 - Yoshi's Cookie Tips 1, 2, 3,
#14 of 14 - Yoshi's Cookie Tips 4, 5.
Checklist

===========================================================
AMUROL Sega Game Gear Sonic (1993) numbered 1-14 + checklist card n.n. (2" x 3") cards, with gum were inserted into a plastic handheld Game Gear controller: 3 cards per purchase). Cards with the same name have duplicate artwork on front.

#1 of 14 - Sonic Spinball Tips 1, 2, 3,
#2 of 14 - Sonic Spinball 4, 5, 6,
#3 of 14 - Sonic Spinball Tips 7, 8, 9.
#4 of 14 - Sonic the Hedgehog Tips 1, 2, 3, 4,
#5 of 14 - Sonic the Hedgehog Tips 5, 6, 7, 8,
#6 of 14 - Sonic the Hedgehog Tips 9, 10, 11.
#7 of 14 - Sonic Chaos Tips 1, 2,
#8 of 14 - Sonic Chaos Tips 3, 4,
#9 of 14 - Sonic Chaos Tips 5, 6,
#10 of 14 - Sonic Chaos Tips 7, 8.
#11 of 14 - Sonic 2 Tips 1, 2, 3,
#12 of 14 - Sonic 2 Tips 4, 5, 6,
#13 of 14 - Sonic 2 Tips 7, 8,
#14 of 14 - Sonic 2 Tips 9, 10.
Checklist
January 19, 2018, 12:20 AM
Cecil
Red Devil Fireworks Collector Edition (1998) Red Devil. 10 card set; source n.k.; artist n.k.; promotes a line of fireworks and fireworks safety. Back describes the effects of each firework.
New for 2018

n.n. "Mad Dog Fountain”
n.n. "The Heat”
n.n. "Quake The Big One”
n.n. "Hornets”
n.n. "Piccolo Pete" [Back States MVP]
n.n. "Lightning Flash”
n.n. "Raging Bull”
n.n. "Wild Boar”
n.n. “Dragon Slayer”
n.n. “WIN BMX Bike”