Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/5707083576

October 17, 2022, 03:37 PM
catskilleagle
PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections
PCE2008 lists the number 0 "The Night Man" promo (Skybox, 1994) from the Ultraverse set but doesn't include the source. It was inserted with Comic Book Collector #8 which you can see online as a couple of sealed copies are for sale.
April 04, 2023, 09:19 PM
catskilleagle
PCE2008 has an entry for Celebrity Comics cards (Personality Comics Inc., 1992) that are oversized and inbound (stapled) with various comics. There were also some standard size cards that were inserted with "limited prism card edition" of the comics. Neither the comics nor the cards are serial-numbered but the comic packaging was.

These two Madonna cards were listed in PCE2008 under "Personality Comics" but the source wasn't known at the time. They were inserted with "Madonna: Her Music" issue #1 (Celebrity Comics, 1992). The top card actually has a gold prismatic border but it came out more blue in the scan. It was available only with the limited prism card edition - only 575 copies printed. You could get the bottom card with the regular edition also.

April 21, 2023, 02:44 PM
catskilleagle
PCE2008 lists "Da'Kota" but the source wasn't known at the time. It was sealed with the 1997 Chicago Con Trading card Edition of the Da'Kota #1 comic. There's also a certificate of authenticity with it that says only 250 trading card editions were printed and distributed with 3 of the same card per issue. You have to be careful, though. Some copies have turned out not to have any cards inside.

June 13, 2023, 02:54 AM
catskilleagle
PCE2008 lists a 24-card uncut sheet of Marvel Masterpieces prototypes (Skybox, 1992). As an added detail for the entry, it should be noted that the 6 Spider-Man, 6 Wolverine, and 6 Hulk cards are all the numbered prototype variants (no unnumbered variants of those cards included). The 6 Captain America cards are the same unnumbered promos that were inserted with an Advance Comics (dealer order catalogue) issue that year.
July 14, 2023, 03:37 PM
catskilleagle
I was looking at the Super Country Music (Tenny Cards, 1992) promos yesterday and checked Allender's site for any unusual background info. Longtime collectors know that there are 4 promos (Holly Dunn, Brooks & Dunn, Sawyer Brown, and John Anderson) that were distributed in a cello-pack with a sticker on the front that says "Promotional Not For Sale." The cards themselves are not marked in any way that they are promotional.

Shown below are a John Anderson base card (front & back) and a John Anderson promo back (front is the same). The promo has the same front but a different back (shown still in a sealed promo pack). What I learned from Allender's listing, is that the base cards are actually unnumbered like the promos. Most of the time, an unnumbered card is an indicator of a promo or prototype card. This led me to think that the promos might just be base cards. However, the promo is still distinguishable from the corresponding base card because the back text is arranged a little differently. You can see the first line of base card ends with "storm-" while it ends with "out" on the promo. I don't know if the Dunn, Brooks & Dunn, and Sawyer Brown promos are different. Maybe someone else can confirm either way?

July 18, 2023, 07:33 PM
David R
PCE lists a Barbie fold out promo card by the River Group which is fairly common. However I recently saw a second version on ebay with totally different images
July 19, 2023, 12:51 AM
catskilleagle
I saw that listing too but now I don't see it. Did you happen to save any of the images?

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
PCE lists a Barbie fold out promo card by the River Group which is fairly common. However I recently saw a second version on ebay with totally different images

October 17, 2023, 02:15 AM
catskilleagle
PCE2008 lists two cards, "Bloodskirt" and "Spiderfemme" under "Spoof Comics" on pages 132-133 although I'm not certain the "Bloodskirt" card is the same. Todd lists the "Spiderfemme" card within a subgroup, the cards being distinct in that they are undated and lack manufacturer info, having just the character name and brief background info on the back.

These two cards are the kind of thing you might have found in a bargain box back in the 90's but they were originally available only as inserts with the special serial-numbered "Trading Card Edition" of "Amazing Heroes Swimsuit Issue" #5. Many of you remember "Amazing Heroes" as a comics industry journal geared for comic book collectors in the 80's and early 90's. Wikipedia says it went out of business in 1992 but these cards were inserted with the August 1993 Swimsuit Issue.

I have seen two copies of the "Trading Card Edition" and they didn't have the same two cards so I assume there are more of them and maybe a few of the other cards listed in PCE were also inserted with Swimsuit Issue #5 or one of the other special editions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
October 31, 2023, 02:20 AM
catskilleagle
PCE2008 notes the existence of a "Betty Page" card with "silver prismatic border under the "Personality Comics" heading. The entry is marked as the cards being undated so the card below might be a different one (as it is dated) or just an exception within the group.

Anyway, this one was inserted with the autographed and serial-numbered edition of the "Bad Girls" (Personality Comics, 1992) set which is a set within the "Shock Cards" series. You didn't get the card if you bought the regular edition.

I've seen at least one of the other "Shock Cards" sets also having a special (and possibly exclusive) insert.

Also, the "Bad Girls" set is part true crime/history, part celebration of actresses with attitude with the artwork leaning toward caricature.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
February 29, 2024, 04:24 AM
catskilleagle
PCE2008 lists a promo as "spaceship in the corner; black and white" under "Felix" on page 58. It has been on a couple of want lists for years (including mine) but I can now say that the "card" is actually just a slip of paper with an artist bio on the back. It's one of a few paper inserts included with the "Strange But Lovely Ladies" (aka Felix II) 9-card boxed factory set.
March 07, 2024, 02:20 AM
catskilleagle
Another item inserted with the "Strange But Lovely Ladies" (aka Felix II) boxed factory set is listed as an unnumbered promo for "Toxic Babes" cards (Edition Quasimodo, 1995) in PCE2008. However the item, described as being black and white and having the same artwork as "2 of 4" from the clear acetate promo subset, is just a card-sized slip of paper with the art on one side and advertising for the "Toxic Babes" boxed factory set on the other.
March 17, 2024, 10:15 PM
catskilleagle
PCE2008 lists a 7-card promo set for the "InLine Classic Motorcycle Cards" set (1nLine, 1992), 6 prototypes plus a 6-card uncut sheet of those prototypes. Elsewhere on this site, I added a checklist stamped as a prototype which I originally considered an error card but may just be a lesser-seen prototype checklist.

The card back shown below is from a base card that has a sticker on it with company contact info. That same sticker was more often applied to the back of prototypes, leaving collectors to conclude that when the company ran out of prototypes to give out, it simply stuck stickers on some base cards and then gave those out too.

Most collectors wouldn't see a stickered base card as something to add to their collections but others would want at least one if they considered it a variant.

March 26, 2024, 09:18 PM
catskilleagle
Here's a 1993 6-card Topps promo card pack not accounted for in PCE2008. It doesn't have any exclusive promos but it adds some source information for the cards it contains so it was an interesting find:

Deathmate - PCE has it as a dealer promo and polybagged with Wizard #26; Topps didn't end up doing a Deathmate set.

Jurassic Park (Triceratops wrecking a jeep) - PCE has it as a dealer promo.

Mars Attacks #21 with promo back - PCE has it as a Ray Bradbury Comics #4 insert.

Ray Bradbury Comics unnumbered with same front as the Ray Bradbury #4 promo - PCE has it as one from an 8-card promo pack which had an otherwise different assortment of Topps promos.

Dracula: Vlad the Impaler unnumbered with Zorro on the front. There are 9 different singles (plus an uncut sheet of them) in the promo set each of which was otherwise only found inserted with issues of "Dracula: Vlad the Impaler" comics.

Batman: The Animated Series unnumbered (Batman with Catwoman) - otherwise only available in a 9-card promo pack and polybagged with NSU Vol. 4 #4.

I don't where this pack was given out.