Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Inkworks SDCC Sketch cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inkworks SDCC Sketch cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok mabey I should ask this question.
Are these Inkworks SDCC sketch cards included in the Promo Encyclopedia?
If so what page # and how are they described?

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
No there are not included. Maybe some day they'll get in there as a note.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,

I think, if it's free, it's a promo. How is this one different from a Marvel Staff card or a Dark Horse signing card? Those were meant to be signed and the Dark Horse cards had the space for a sketch so some of the artists did start adding sketches by 1999. I think that enhances the value even if the money isn't that different. It was nice that the artist put in the extra time especially for a card the company was giving away. Now, I wish I had gone to that 2007 show.

Otherwise, I agree that I would rather have a promo, or any card not meant to be signed, to be left unsigned. Of course, the exception is if I decide to have a card signed by an artist and I have only cards not meant to be signed to bring. I can't prove it but I have two oversized promos that Ralph McQuarrie signed for me at a local show around 1999. Other people had artwork. All I could get on short notice were those two Star Wars Mastervisions promos from the Star Wars Galaxy Magazine. Those are for me. A handwriting expert should be able to back me up because they are two nice clean signatures.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Plus the modern card market is creating 1/1 promos and extremely limited promos right now, so lack of quantity or restricted distribution is no longer a good marker to use. Some of these promotional cards are barely available to anyone, which is an entirely different discussion.

I dont personally considered these 1/1 promos to be promotional. Might as well write a note in crayon on a piece of paper, mark it 1/1, and pass it off as a promo. Its about as desirable to me. No disrespect meant to those who produce or collect said 1/1 items, but it isn't promotional if it isn't available to more than a few people (let alone ONE person). Its a chase card and one designed to make money, not promote a product.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hi Todd,

I think, if it's free, it's a promo. How is this one different from a Marvel Staff card or a Dark Horse signing card?

I see it as different for one reason: DH Signing cards were given away as unsigned. Inkworks gave it away only after it had a sketch on it. If they gave them out blank, then you stood in line if you wanted it signed/sketched (like the DH cards ) it to me would absolutely fall under promo.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see it as different for one reason: DH Signing cards were given away as unsigned. Inkworks gave it away only after it had a sketch on it. If they gave them out blank, then you stood in line if you wanted it signed/sketched (like the DH cards ) it to me would absolutely fall under promo.

But that is exactly why they are promos. the Inkworks SDCC sketch cards came with the sketch. It was not only part of the promotion, it was the best part of the promotion. To say that only the blank cardstock, if there were some left over, would qualify as the promo card means that you missed the promotion altogether and walked away with the trash. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I understand the logic but then it does say "sketch card" on the card. The whole point of the promotion was to give away the cards with sketches on them. It could also argued that any card left unsketched on was the unreleased version or an unfinished variant or prototype. If you consider the unreleased or unfinished card a promo, it follows that the released, finished version is a promo too and perhaps more so since that version was the one actively given away.

Yes, you could get the Dark Horse signing cards unsigned. Sometimes, they were just given out but I got mine signed when possible.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hi Todd,

I think, if it's free, it's a promo. How is this one different from a Marvel Staff card or a Dark Horse signing card?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The sketch cards were not promos. The ability to go to the booth and get a sketch card was the promotion not the card itself.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The sketch cards were not promos. The ability to go to the booth and get a sketch card was the promotion not the card itself.

I disagree.

The card I have very obviously promotes the release calendar for Inkworks in 2004.

It promotes upcoming cards, that's more than many cards that are product premiums.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed,

Yeah, if that's not a promo, what is? What have I been collecting for over 20 years? Who am I? What am I?

I still have my 70's cards, Star Wars Widevision sets, and three Charlie's Angels cards from Mexico to cling to.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I disagree.

The card I have very obviously promotes the release calendar for Inkworks in 2004.

It promotes upcoming cards, that's more than many cards that are product premiums.

Ed

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Yeah when i said the sketch cards were not promos what i actually meant was the sketch cards are promos. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Whilst looking for the Kratt's Creatures card to scan for David R I remembered that I have some of the Inkwork's sketch cards from 2005. I have three featuring Family Guy and 1 blank which I believe Todd will class as a promo but not the others so here it is:-

the front
[IMG:left][url=https://postimg.cc/jDCThFLM] [/ur[/IMG]

and the back

[IMG:left][url=https://postimg.cc/RW8BpLt4] [/url[/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post