Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Inkworks SDCC Sketch cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inkworks SDCC Sketch cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
A couple of weeks ago I missed out on what was Described as a 2007 sdcc sketch promo .
It was described as a Mark De Santos Hellboy sketch card Inkworks 2007 SDCC promo .
The back had on it
Inkworks awarded best trading card manufacturer of the year for 10 years in a row .
The sellers description said
Mark was at the booth drawing these cards , each year Inkworks would have different artists on a different promo sketch card
I know that there was a sketch promo for Alien AVP but that is all
Dose anyone know what or if the other years artist and cards were or anything about them.
A picture of the card can be seen in the Inkworks Promos sold listings
a picture can be seen in the sold listings

Posts: 761 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Yes, Inkworks did this for several years in a row, I believe it was for 2005-07. Their last year attending SDCC was 2008, I think, and they had a diminished presence and did not offer sketches that last year, which was also their last in business.

Beyond Mark Dos Santos, participating artists I personally got cards from were Tone Rodriguez and Tess Fowler.

To get a sketch, you just had to hang around the Inkworks booth, and they'd periodically give out tickets for the sketch sessions.

The cards were generic with no specific set listed, although the artists were supposed to stay confined to subjects Inkworks held licenses for.
Ms. Fowler drew "Shrek" themed cards for sure, and besides AvP cards, Dos Santos and Rodriguez drew "Family Guy" cards, including some that crossed over FG characters with Star Wars characters years before the Family Guy series did their Star Wars crossover episodes.

At one point, I had Stewie from Family Guy as Darth Vader by Tone and Mark as well as the Puss'n'Boots cat character from "Shrek" by Fowler, but I no longer have those. I believe that trio was from 2006, but I can't be sure.

I do still have a Lois Griffin/Slave Leia from 2005 and a hybrid of Leela from "Futurama" and Peggy Bundy from "Married With Children" from 2007 that, shortly after, was autographed by Katey Sagal herself.

Both were drawn by Mark Dos Santos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
What do the backs look like?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Those are two unique sketches and they come with happy memories. Now isn't that the way it should be? Better than I opened a pack and there she was. I miss this stuff.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I have a Inkworks Tone Rodriguez San Diego Sketch from the movie "Robots".

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks for this info .
Would these be classed as Promo cards as the one I was enquiring about
this is the first time
that i have heard of these especially yearly ones , and i have never seen any advertised for sale so they must be rare .
Although I am not interested in sketch cards these Pique my interest if they are Inkworks promos
The ones shown are very nice specially the Katy Segal one

Posts: 761 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes backs please if possible

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
They were used to promote Inkworks and specific sets produced by Inkworks, so in that sense they are promotional cards, and they do meet most promo collectors requirements of being available for free. I don’t know if any blanks are out there, have not seen one. I have several in my collection that I got at SDCC they are fun cards, I miss Inkworks.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'd need to scan the back of the 2007 version, but here's the 2005:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I have a 2004 Sketch Promo, Alien by Tone Rodriguez.

I would call it a promo, as it has all the right markers:

It was free, says compliments of Inkworks on the front.
Back, it is numbered SK-2004 and lists the 2004 releases for Inkworks.

The list makes me a little sad, I remember years like this:
Hellboy
Charmed: Connections
Catwoman (OK, maybe not this one)
Alien VS Predator
Buffy: Women of Sunnydale
Angel Season 5
Smallville Season 3
Alias Season 3
and
Robots, coming in 2005.

Fun memories.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the info on these cards .
Now that i know they are out there i will now have to decide that as they are promo cards wether I should include them in my Inkworks promo list , and start collecting them as such .
But as they were drawn at the SDCC how many are there , and how many years were they actually done at the SDCC.
I will try and make a list of them as Inkworks promos.
So I will reach out to any member of this forum to list any information regarding these cards so i can get a list together and some idea of what was done at these conventions wich I presume was approximately between 1998 to 2007
I thank you all for any information.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Technically it would appear to be a promo. I'd rather have blank ones but good luck finding those.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes i realise that this will be a hard job as there will be a lot of them and all different subjects.
But no harm in trying
What do you mean by (tehnically it would appear to be a promo) dose it not meet the criteria?
Also Inkworks could of done this at other conventions eg CECE Wizard etc .
It would be good to find out even if it is not feasible to gather enough info to make up a list and put some light on a little known bit of Inkworks history.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Promo or not, sketch card blanks are like unsigned certified autograph cards to me. Only confusion, misrepresentation and bad things can come of them.

I know artists get them sometimes as compensation and/or some blank sketch cards just don't get destroyed when they are not used, but that just creates the situation where a collector can't tell what was or wasn't distributed in the manner it was intended many years down the line. I never advocate for destroying them, just mark or punch the cards so that they can be identified as blanks, not to be converted into an undetectable original at a later date.

These Inkworks' SDCC sketches certainly appear to be promos to me and I would want the sketch, not just the empty page. Wink

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I'll try to remember to scan the 2004 one I have.

One other thing that will put a monkey-wrench in your list is that Inkworks usually have several different artists working the booth throughout the show. So if you're looking for 1 of each artist, it would make the hunting even crazier.

Inkworks had special promos for other conventions like WW Chicago, but SDCC was the only place I recall them having the whole booth and display set up. I don't recall any sketches being done at other shows.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
What do you mean by (tehnically it would appear to be a promo) dose it not meet the criteria.

I mean they were free and they promote the company so they are promotional. To me, a sketch on them is no different than drawing on any card. I dont want it. It a cool item for sure with a sketch on it, but its now a one of a kind item. It ceases to me to be promotional at that point. But thats just me.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
As an autograph card collector who chased after signed sports cards before the certified autograph card was introduced as an officially sanctioned hit, I am well aware of the argument that a card not meant to be signed was rendered worthless when it was. I thought it more unique, rare and valuable. That was not the rule of the majority at the time and I can't give away most of my old, genuine, but uncertified signed cards now. It was my own opinion and I enjoyed the hunt, but in hindsight I was very wrong and should have confined myself to only a few signed favorites.

In this case the Inkworks SDCC Promos were meant to be sketch cards. To not have any drawing on the front makes it an incomplete promo at best. So the problem with the blank card then becomes, who might add a drawing later on? If it is one of the authorized Inkwork artists, no one would ever be able to tell the difference and that's fine.

But if it were another non-connected artist, or worse, someone pretending and counterfeiting work as one of the authorized artists, there's your bad situation. Much like the certified autograph card that leaves the maker unsigned and uncancelled, it is ripe to commit a fraud that calls into question the validity of all the other legitimate cards because you can no longer rely on the cardstock to guarantee authenticity.

Plus the modern card market is creating 1/1 promos and extremely limited promos right now, so lack of quantity or restricted distribution is no longer a good marker to use. Some of these promotional cards are barely available to anyone, which is an entirely different discussion.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
By the sound of things there were more than one artist at the conventions.
Also there were different sets depicted so being convention drived there could be or will be a lot of as said 1/1 cards out there
In my opinion these cards are quiet rare as they have after about 20 years come to my notice and the one I missed was the first one that i had seen advertised for sale
But i see that other members do have them but dont possibly see them as rarer cards
As a collector of Inkworks Promo Cards this was a new and to me exciting discovery and I had to find out about them , thus the trying to make a list
But from comments I now realise it would be a list of 1/1 cards
It would probably be best if i just tried to get a list of the Artists involved wich some members in their comments have provided instead of a list of the cards
If any member is interested in trading any of their cards I would appreciate it ,as i would at least have one copy of this type of card
My E Mail address is in my profile

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Plus the modern card market is creating 1/1 promos and extremely limited promos right now, so lack of quantity or restricted distribution is no longer a good marker to use. Some of these promotional cards are barely available to anyone, which is an entirely different discussion.

I dont personally considered these 1/1 promos to be promotional. Might as well write a note in crayon on a piece of paper, mark it 1/1, and pass it off as a promo. Its about as desirable to me. No disrespect meant to those who produce or collect said 1/1 items, but it isn't promotional if it isn't available to more than a few people (let alone ONE person). Its a chase card and one designed to make money, not promote a product.