Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    "Is This A Variant?"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Is This A Variant?"
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I *knew* I saw that variation long ago, but I let others talk me out if the memory. I saw the similar Animal Mystic one with a different colored logo but also was convinced I never did. Now you need to find that.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
But Todd, it took me years just to notice that there were Angry Christ back color variants. I haven't seen the different color outfit variants of the Angry Christ card in at least 15 years and that assumes I actually saw them then. I think I had those but sold them.

I haven't seen the Animal Mystic variants. It's tough to spot text variants because not every seller includes a view of the back.

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
I *knew* I saw that variation long ago, but I let others talk me out if the memory. I saw the similar Animal Mystic one with a different colored logo but also was convinced I never did. Now you need to find that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the regular unnumbered "Venom" promo for the 1993 Marvel Masterpieces" set (aka "Marvel Masterpieces 2" or "Marvel Masterpieces Series 2"). I still haven't seen the elusive one with gray text also marked as "P8." Can anyone show a scan?

I was lucky to find this one maybe twenty years ago in a bargain box for a buck and it's signed by the artist, Dave Dorman.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Great thread! I too have many "error" cards in my collection, some of which are glaring and interesting to collect. As a stamp collector as well, I belong to online forums and there are several threads discussing color changes in stamps. The sun has a huge effect on paper and when something is exposed to sunlight, even for a short period of time, it will discolor the paper(in our case cardboard) and make it appear as a hue variation when in reality, it's simply fading. The resulting change can be substantial. I'm not saying that all color variations are the result of sun exposure but such a possibility should always be investigated when dealing with that issue.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Dawn/Angry Christ I definitely have both versions. I think her outfit is green on the other one

On Animal Mystic, from what I recall the logo on the back is noticeably blue on one and green on the other. I think the fronts are the same. I will try to scan them.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see those.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
On the Dawn/Angry Christ I definitely have both versions. I think her outfit is green on the other one

On Animal Mystic, from what I recall the logo on the back is noticeably blue on one and green on the other. I think the fronts are the same. I will try to scan them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was recently sent some interesting images. Here are the "Angry Christ" variants listed in PCE2008. This time the fronts are different. The outfit is green in one but purple in the other. The backs are the same.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the Animal Mystic promo (Sirius, 1994) given out at the Heroes Convention in 1994. The back logo is green (kind of a weird green) as in the example below but PCE2008 says that there's a variant that has a blue logo. If anyone has that, please post an image. Otherwise, keep your eyes open for that.