Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
John, is this it ?

https://robertedwardauctions.c...tobacco-insert-card/

Tommy C

Yes that is the card although it looks as if it is a trimmed version.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With all this talk of rare promos continuing to today, here are a couple of images showing the Creators Master Series P0 and Ultraverse Master Series H1. I was sent individual images of the fronts and backs and a couple of them were cropped a little too much and off-angle but good enough to show essentially complete examples of the two. I read earlier in this thread that it was reported that there was just one of each of these. I don't know if that's true. The fact that these are the only ones I've seen just might mean I need to get out more.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Wolfie, no one seems to know why certain 1993-1994 SkyBox promos are so tough to find. I can think of these:

Creators Master Series P0
Ultraverse Master Series H1
DC Cosmic Teams P1
Blackball Comics P01 and P02

It would make an interesting NSU article !

Regarding the P0, I was told years ago of two sightings, one at a SkyBox table at a NYC comic show, circa 1994, where it was on display behind glass. The other, someone saw in a binder of rare SkyBox prototypes

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I used to go nuts trying to find those Skybox Master Series Creators edition promos!

It was very confusing!

I ended up with:

PO1 - PROTOTYPE
PO3 - PROTOTYPE
PO4 - PROTOTYPE
BP1
C11 (3 of them)
N1
P1

And from the Creators Universe set I found:

P1
P2
P3
THE SILENCER - no number
REDLINE - no number
WARHORSE - no number
X2
SG1

And four of the Gold Signature Cards which are not promos.

After that I must have given up.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is what is known to exist on the SkyBox Creators Master Series:

P0 (impossible to find, but there it is above)

P01 to P05 (all 1994)

BP1, CI1, N1, P1, PC1, S1, and P01 (1995-same front as the 1994 P02)

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I have a note in my binder that there was a CREATORS UNIVERSE P1 promo (PHEROS) with a reversed back, but I never found one.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
With all this talk of rare promos continuing to today, here are a couple of images showing the Creators Master Series P0 and Ultraverse Master Series H1. I read earlier in this thread that it was reported that there was just one of each of these. I don't know if that's true.

quote:
Wolfie, no one seems to know why certain 1993-1994 SkyBox promos are so tough to find. I can think of these:

DC Cosmic Teams P1

Regarding the P0, I was told years ago of two sightings, one at a SkyBox table at a NYC comic show, circa 1994, where it was on display behind glass. The other, someone saw in a binder of rare SkyBox prototypes

Make that at least 2 in the world as I do have these cards.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Creators Master Series P02 can be hard to find. I've noticed that the P04 and P05 don't come up a lot but they tend to be inexpensive. These have been low priority for me, but like you, I have a few of them and will post the P03 in another thread.

I've had weird luck with those Creator's Universe promos and have just a few of those and all of them have the reversed backs. I haven't seen a normal backed one.

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I used to go nuts trying to find those Skybox Master Series Creators edition promos!

It was very confusing!

I ended up with:

PO1 - PROTOTYPE
PO3 - PROTOTYPE
PO4 - PROTOTYPE
BP1
C11 (3 of them)
N1
P1

And from the Creators Universe set I found:

P1
P2
P3
THE SILENCER - no number
REDLINE - no number
WARHORSE - no number
X2
SG1

And four of the Gold Signature Cards which are not promos.

After that I must have given up.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Okay. I get the feeling the H1 was given out at a small show or maybe just the artist had some to give out as the one shown is signed. Maybe a bunch of them got thrown out or are still in a box in storage somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
quote:
With all this talk of rare promos continuing to today, here are a couple of images showing the Creators Master Series P0 and Ultraverse Master Series H1. I read earlier in this thread that it was reported that there was just one of each of these. I don't know if that's true.

quote:

DC Cosmic Teams P1

Make that at least 2 in the world as I do have these cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
To update David R's old list, Jess posted pics of the Blackball P01 and P02 back on May 8 above.

Maybe he can put the images here, as well ?

The DC Cosmic Teams P1 has turned out not to be too hard to find, after all

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the Cosmic Teams P1. Weird looking card.
Years ago, it was hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYBO...RITION-/153429712909

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
With all this talk of rare promos continuing to today, here are a couple of images showing the Creators Master Series P0 and Ultraverse Master Series H1. I was sent individual images of the fronts and backs and a couple of them were cropped a little too much and off-angle but good enough to show essentially complete examples of the two. I read earlier in this thread that it was reported that there was just one of each of these. I don't know if that's true. The fact that these are the only ones I've seen just might mean I need to get out more.

Is the top card signed by artist Dave Dorman? Does that imply something about distribution -- maybe they were handed out by Dorman at shows?

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think that it is. Interestingly, here is the same image on Dave Dorman's website

https://davedorman.com/art/wl.shtml

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I just emailed Dave Dorman about the 2 promos above. He quickly responded and said this:

"Hi David. This promo card (the P0) was given away at a Diamond comics seminar or the old Capital Comics dist show in 1994-5. I probably had them away at my table at San Diego comic con. I’m not sure how many were printed or given away. The card was given away unsigned but I signed cards brought to me at these shows."

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Nice going David(sleuth)!Some of these artists are super nice and kind. Lots of interesting info has been floating around lately on scarcer promos.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Albert.

It is amazing what info you can find on the internet.

About 20 years ago, circa 2002, I found comic book artist Keith Giffen's contact info on line. I emailed him and asked about the unreleased 1994 Blackball Comics set by SkyBox (he was the primary artist) and asked if he had the hard to find promos P01 and P02 which we discussed on Card Talk. This was a few years before I found them elsewhere.

Much to my surprise, he emailed me back. He said that he did not have the promos available. But he did send me, by email, what he said were the images of some of the cards that were supposed to be produced. However, they were just computer scans that were never actually printed on card stock, so they did not make it to the actual, physical card stage. It was a very interesting reply !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, nice work, David. If it's a choice between the Diamond seminar and the Capital City conference, I think it's the Capital City show. More people seem to have gone to the Diamond because you see more Diamond promos on the market. The Capital promos such as the Simpsons II P1 and Ultraverse Master Series P01 "Book" are not easy to find. That's not to say all the Diamond cards are easy.

quote:
Well, I just emailed Dave Dorman about the 2 promos above. He quickly responded and said this:

"Hi David. This promo card (the P0) was given away at a Diamond comics seminar or the old Capital Comics dist show in 1994-5. I probably had them away at my table at San Diego comic con. I’m not sure how many were printed or given away. The card was given away unsigned but I signed cards brought to me at these shows."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received some images of some of those super-rare U.S. Stamp promos (Tower Card Company, 1993).

You can find more info in this thread:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....317075996#5317075996

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see the link for the Desert Storm Card and Map set promo is broken. Here are scans showing all ten. I think they would be termed prototypes since they don't have any promotional text on them. They are unnumbered versions showing what the numbered regular cards were going to look like.

I've read that only two complete sets are publicly known. I have certainly never seen even one of the singles in person in the 30+ years after their release but it's possible more of the cards were picked up than we know as there are numerous casual-serious card collectors out there who don't join forums or even talk a lot about what they have. Old stuff appears from time to time at flea markets and garage sales or odd lots on Ebay.

quote:
Here is one of the promos that Albert posted about above, from the 1991 Desert Storm map set by AMP. There are apparently 10 different ones, but I only have this one. What makes them promos is the fact that unlike the regular cards in the set, these are unnumbered, plus they were given out prior to the set's release, apparently.

Here are the front and back. If they don't show, can someone please fix it for me ?

FRONT

http://img257.imageshack.us/my...82008065244pmgb3.jpg

BACK

http://img257.imageshack.us/my...82008065309pmpd3.jpg

Let me know if anyone wants to see the Superman Man of Steel SW1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Originally posted December 24, 2008 11:34 PM

by promoking:

"well, friends the votes are in after a month and so far, Lion King SB1 is the winner. Thank you very much to everyone who voted and to anyone who showed interest in this thread."

This was the poll result 15 years ago when this card was dubbed "the rarest" promo by CardTalk members.

On January 30th, 2024, the Lion King SB1 will be celebrating 30 years since its release. This was the one that started me on a 30+ year journey of exploring the arcane world of promo collecting.

Happy Birthday SB1!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,