Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
More tough ones-- the Action Jackson Mego promos with the Topps logos. Supposedly only 30 made according to one website

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Without seeing the back of that card, I'm only speculating, but assuming it is a promo, it might be a card that was inserted with a videocassette edition of Speed Racer. PCE notes but does not describe the front of an oddball promo that was given to dealers.

quote:
Originally posted by GregAlex:
And I also wondered about another SR promo card, that doesn't seem to be listed. I can only post a shot of the front. Can anyone fill me in on this one?

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was an article on promo cards in the September 1996 issue of Tuff Stuff's Collect! magazine that reported 1500 of each of the Sandman, Vertigo, and Superman (Forged in Steel) prototypes were printed.

quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
I Think the Most Sought after Rare Promo is still this one

The Rarest Promo Set I Know of is 1994's Sandman - "The Endless" SILVER PROMO Chase Set (LIMITED to 50 Sets) Diamond Distributon sent to Dealers who Ordered Large Quantities of This......

I don't have an Image of this set with the SILVER Borders.... Here is the Broze set inserted into Packs

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
quote:
1994's Sandman - "The Endless" SILVER PROMO Chase Set (LIMITED to 50 Sets)

I keep on dreaming of the day I might find them and have the spare cash to buy. Smile

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sandman is one of my all-time favorite sets. Have everything from the set EXCEPT the silver promos. Could never bring myself to spend that kind of ch-ching when I'd see them come up for sale, since having the bronze ones do just fine. Wink

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What's going on with the supposedly hard to find 1994 Superman Man of Steel SW1 promo ?

Suddenly this week, at least 5 are for sale "you know where"

Did someone find a drawer of these ?

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
Sandman is one of my all-time favorite sets. Have everything from the set EXCEPT the silver promos. Could never bring myself to spend that kind of ch-ching when I'd see them come up for sale, since having the bronze ones do just fine. Wink

I have 1 of the Silver promos. I fished it out of a sports card shop trash can. I have all the others cards for this set but the other 6 silver promos.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's going on with the supposedly hard to find 1994 Superman Man of Steel SW1 promo ?Suddenly this week, at least 5 are for sale "you know where"Did someone find a drawer of these ?

This illustrates the exact problem I have been discussing in various posts regarding "limited Edition" cards, be they promotional or otherwise. Once a print run number is known by or released to the public, in this case 1,500 SW1 cards, Caveat Emptor becomes the name of the game especially if the bulk of the cards do not show up shortly after they were initially printed or released and there is no official word for this dearth.
As you said, there is probably a great likelihood that someone was sitting on these and is now dumping them. So much for them being valuable.
I for one have never been a fan of artificially limited supplies (LTD.ED) of any collectible but rather believe that scarcity or rarity does not depend on the number of the item made, but rather on the history of that card if ascertainable.
For example, the Lion King SB1 and its disastrous distribution venue with which most of you are familiar made this card into a legend, not because only a few were printed (reportedly over 50,000 were made) but because of what we know happened to the majority of them after they were handed out. Similarly, take the C-17 Airlifter promo card of which thousands were made for an air show in Texas but only approximately 50 remain due to the rest having been confirmed destroyed on the day of the show in a major rainstorm. Is there a great demand for this C-17 promo? Probably not! Does it deserve to be called rare? I say yes. There are hundreds of other promo cards whose fascinating history I have come to learn about over the past 25 years of collecting them which makes them scarce and even rare in my book. Of course, scarce/rare does not necessarily equate valuable.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of 1990s promos with a cloud of mystery to them

Marvel Universe IV (1993, SkyBox) three different Capital Con sheets; supposedly 1,300 of each made. So how come you never see these ? About 2 show up on ebay a year, if that many

Blackball Comics (SkyBox, 1994) P01 and P02. Supposedly 2,500 of each made. I have never seen these on ebay, not even once. I had to buy 1 of each from someone's collection many years ago

Sandman (SkyBox) sheet numbered to 4,444. I have only seen 1 over the past 20 years

Creators Master Series P0 and Ultraverse Master Series H1 (both by SkyBox) no one can explain why these never show up

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the Bettie Page BP1 promo by Leaf, supposedly only 24 made, which came inserted in packs of Benchwarmer cards in 2014 ?

I am not sure that I have. Jeff Allender lists this for it:

PROMO CARDS (in packs of Bench Warmer Gold 2014 Update)

BP1 Bettie Page [# to 24; gold foil]
BP1 Bettie Page [# to 14; pink foil]
BP1 Bettie Page [# to 5; green foil]
BP1 Bettie Page [# to 2; blue foil]
BP1 Bettie Page [# to 1; red foil]

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Topps Planet of the Apes Mego Museum baseball card (only 10 made, supposedly) sold on ebay the other day for $ 100

Believe this came out around 2008

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
A Topps Planet of the Apes Mego Museum baseball card (only 10 made, supposedly) sold on ebay the other day for $ 100

Believe this came out around 2008

I think the seller kept that one, that is way too low for that card.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Found out recently that on the SAINT (Roger Moore) card set by Unstoppable, released in December 2017, that a particular collector--not a dealer--had an exclusive promo made just for him. I won't mention the name here. But apparently only 2 or 3 of this card exist ! I don't know what it looks like.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the original question and being a few years wiser than the last time I made my selection, I would have to agree that we are really talking about scarcity - cards we want but few of us have been able to get.

I haven't hunted the Star Wars Galaxy P1 variant but it seems to be hard to find and on the want list of many Star Wars collectors.

The Superman SW1 was in-demand and hard to find for a while but some appeared several years ago and you can find it now if you want it. It might have been a case of someone hoarding them and waiting for the value to go through the roof, but when the economy sank in 2008, so did the perceived value with some collectors dropping out of the running and even selling their stuff. It could have just been someone having a quantity and being totally oblivious to the demand, offering cards for sale later and at a reasonable price.

I haven't been watching how the Biosphere promos have been selling. I haven't gone after those though I like animal/science cards. I do know it would be tough to build/finish a set now. It appears, however, that the perceived value for the easier-to-find numbers is less than the current asking price when you look for them online. I assume Biosphere #25 is still in-demand but maybe not the hardest card to find.

The Hammer Horror 2 P2 was easy to get for a short time. I got one from Glenn after he made that deal and later sold it. It turns out I should have kept that one because I haven't had a shot at one in the past 3-4 years. For whatever reason this one has become one of the scarcest Cornerstone promos - right up there with a few of the Avengers Series 1 promos.

Yeah, the E.T. widevision lenticular is super-rare and in-demand but it's also in that category of in-house prototypes that are almost impossible to get or even see one in person. It's so rare that the average collector probably doubts he or she will ever have a real shot at getting one.

I remember a few collectors talking about the Desert Storm Card and Map set promos in the mid-90's. I've never seen one, and if David R. has just one card from the set, you know it's like trying to collect dragon teeth.

I saw a Godzilla P1 regular-size for sale a couple of weeks ago. I can get it if I want to put out hundreds of dollars for it. It might be worth it because that appears to be the scarcest Inkworks promo or certainly one of the scarcest.

Yeah, that Lion King SB1 might be in a tie with the Speed Racer P3. They are at the same level of scarcity in my opinion.

There are other cards like the Star Wars Galaxy 2 P3 Yoda, but as has been said many times, you can get if you want it right now and it's been that way for years. You do have to wonder if someone took the time and care to counterfeit it or if it's just a matter of 100-200 of them getting printed back at the time and a small group of people have been slowly leaking them into the market over the past 20 years or so.

I would have to say that the Sandman silver-border prototypes have become harder to get. There was a time a couple of years ago when you could get the set for around $75 but you can't do that anymore. There's still a demand for those among comic and card collectors.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
The aim of this poll is to help determine which is the "RAREST" promo card in existence. It doesn't matter if you've only dreamed of seeing one or you have 5 in you collection. Of course, you may not agree with the ones I chose and your pick might not be here. Sorry! I've tried to list the 10 in no particular order that I consider extremely hard to find regardless of how popular or obscure they are. Let's crown the winner together!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You mention the Godzilla P1 regula size card for sale a few weeks ago I also looked at this and went to the sellers feedback as there is supposed to be 25 of these cards the seller says it came from the collection of the Inkworks C E O but he or she also in their feedback also sold another one of these cards approx a year ago makes you wonder how many of these cards he she has if it is so rare and the same seller has two up for sale how many did the c e o of Inkworks have this could devalue the card and make it not so much a rare and desirable item like you I looked at it but the same seller having two of these cards for sale within a year sort of put me off but still mulling it over
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Could anyone rate these in order of rarity?

I have the autographed one, could probably save for the red variant but have no idea about the statistics or price for the original 90s version.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, very few of these have appeared across the 20 years since the set was released. Even if someone is sitting on 20-50 of these, I would think it's a good buy at $150-200 from the completist promo collector standpoint since it is still talked about and on many want lists. Working against a higher value now and in the future, though, even if the run is just 25, is that the 1998 Godzilla movie was lousy so none of the cards are really must-haves to me or many ardent Godzilla collectors.

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
You mention the Godzilla P1 regula size card for sale a few weeks ago I also looked at this and went to the sellers feedback as there is supposed to be 25 of these cards the seller says it came from the collection of the Inkworks C E O but he or she also in their feedback also sold another one of these cards approx a year ago makes you wonder how many of these cards he she has if it is so rare and the same seller has two up for sale how many did the c e o of Inkworks have this could devalue the card and make it not so much a rare and desirable item like you I looked at it but the same seller having two of these cards for sale within a year sort of put me off but still mulling it over
Piko

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As the first Godzilla card the seller sold was a best offer accepted it could of been anything I agree that the Movie bombed but as I am an avid Inkworks promo collector the gap in my collection is there and the want need is there so I have to balance my desire against having and wanting wich is a hard decision to make . Also Inkworks have produced a few rarer cards wich are hardly ever seen on the secondary market EG the Buffy Angel cards inserted in the NSU SDCC show magazines as there are quiet a number of these I dont think that They were purposely issued as short prints to sell to make money even though you had to pay for the magazine but what magazine with cards in it did you not have to pay for .I think that with the question The Rarest Promo Card the list should be expanded to 15 to 20 cards and members should be asked to vote that they have this card the result against each card should give an indication of what cards are actually in the hands of collectors ( this is my opinion only ) On a final note I know that these cards are post 2000 and have been issued in bulk and are out there very rarely come up mabey once a year Ghost Wisperer Pi . Supernatural 2, P Uk
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
Not a promo card a such but this is a sketch card that was used to promote the set. The card was made to look like it was done on the card stock from the previse set but then they use a different card stock for the set. Unlike most sketch cards used for promotion on boxes etc. this card was not released as part of the set and was used for promotion only. I got the card direct from the artist when I got an artist proof card for the set from him.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
You made me look, and I found a GHOST WHISPERER Pi I didn't even know I had.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post