Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that.

The one I need is from Cornerstone. The Avengers A7.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Wolfie, no one seems to know why certain 1993-1994 SkyBox promos are so tough to find. I can think of these:

Creators Master Series P0
Ultraverse Master Series H1
DC Cosmic Teams P1
Blackball Comics P01 and P02

I managed to get all 5 Cosmic Teams promos for a great £21.08 on Ebay

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great find !

An Ultraverse H1 showed up on ebay about 2 years ago mixed up with a bunch of common stuff, and it sold for $ 50

I have never seen Blackball P01 and 02 on ebay over the past 20 years, though supposedly 2500 of each were made ! But they exist !

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, when any item is sold as a "limited edition collectible, it really isn't one. It's just another product. Only the test of time will distinguish the still-desirable from the can't-give-it-away. The real collectibles tend to be the odd-but-attractive freebies or things not meant to be sold of the past. Look at what has happened to items like dealer signs or original artwork for some of the card sets/old magazines/books. That stuff is increasing in value because even the artist didn't hang onto everything.

That's the thing with promo cards. Someone bored with regular trading cards or low on money could still build a collection out of NSU inserts and show giveaways while keeping an eye out for good deals online or at flea markets. Just last week, I was at a local flea market and a guy selling posters also had a box of cards at $1/card. Among the random singles of various sets, there were some 90's Comic Images promos, comic inserts (e.g. Zen Intergalactic Ninja) and one Blue Angels sample card. I bought the Blue Angels card - the first one in my collection.

As an added note, even in the 90's the Desert Storm set was considered rare-very rare. However, a less-rare Superman item might be seen as more valuable than a rarer Desert Storm item just because there is a longtime, worldwide customer base for Superman/superheroes - more customers looking for oddball superhero stuff. People love "The Simpsons" too so any rare items related to that carry a premium for many collectors. They will pay through the nose for something unusual they don't have from that.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
There are many promos that in the last few years have been purposely short printed and dubbed rare. That's not what I would consider rare! It's an attempt by a manufacturer to reward a good client or to manipulate scarcity through rarefied distribution venues.
Frankly, there is NO difference between these alleged rare promos of which we know the exact number made and any other artificially "limited edition" collectible card.
I am not knocking anyone for wanting to collect these newly minted short printed cards for the pure pleasure of owning one, but I for one will not be sucked in by these marketing techniques especially when it comes to collecting promo cards.
It has been my experience as a collector for over 40 years of varied collectibles including cards, stamps and comic books that most items whose scarcity is extrinsically dictated rather than established by forces outside the control of those who have the most to gain, almost invariably lose their value over time. I would be lying if I did not want, when the time comes, to sell my collection for at least what I invested in it and I wouldn't mind a little profit as well. we all know how passionate we can be about these pieces of cardboard and that most of us spend more money on this hobby than we wish to admit to almost anyone... Big Grin
So, if you refer back to my original list none of the cards mentioned were intentionally produced for the sole purpose of making them rare, to the best of my knowledge. each was labeled as rare because although there were probably hundreds if not thousands made, due to various but unique circumstances each became rare in its own right. That is the criterion that establishes, in my opinion, rarity.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have spoken to artist Marc Hansen, and he's told me that with regard to those early 1990s Ralph Snart cards that came in the NOW Comics, he's only aware of 1 set of cards # 29 to 36 in existence, that all of the rest were destroyed

Cards 1-28 came in the various Snart Comics. Those are relatively easy to collect, but no one has 29-36 except for him !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I've mentioned it here but I bought DC Cosmic Teams promos Catspaw and Apparition together for under $5 total at the 60th Philly Show. They had more & I should have grabbed them all. Asked a promo expert if they were the tough ones - he already had them & didn't offer much advice. Was so short on cash at that show so I just passed on them.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you stumble across great promo finds at Philly

Around 2010, I found the unreleased Dr. Who promos by Inkworks in a box for like $2-3 each, along with the unreleased 1960s Lost in Space promo for the 2nd set that never came out

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what about the Rittenhouse cards done for the startrek shows for the vip guests
there promos and autos do they class as promos and sometimes theres only 5 to eight handed out, I recently got hold of an unsigned auto card promo for one of the shows ?

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I Think the Most Sought after Rare Promo is still this one

The Rarest Promo Set I Know of is 1994's Sandman - "The Endless" SILVER PROMO Chase Set (LIMITED to 50 Sets) Diamond Distributon sent to Dealers who Ordered Large Quantities of This......

I don't have an Image of this set with the SILVER Borders.... Here is the Broze set inserted into Packs

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Sometimes you stumble across great promo finds at Philly

Around 2010, I found the unreleased Dr. Who promos by Inkworks in a box for like $2-3 each, along with the unreleased 1960s Lost in Space promo for the 2nd set that never came out

That was 2011

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have seen the silver-border prototypes for sale cheap relative to what they used to sell for (used to be around $50; now around $10-15). A set was for sale on the "bay" recently and I picked up two of them for $7 each maybe five years ago (got one of the Vertigo silver-border prototypes for the same price too). They aren't that hard to find.

It's possible that some collectors had doubles or some have found them less-desirable despite the rarity because of the odd size though they fit fine in widevision-size pocket pages. It's also possible more than 50 made it to the market.

quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:

The Rarest Promo Set I Know of is 1994's Sandman - "The Endless" SILVER PROMO Chase Set (LIMITED to 50 Sets) Diamond Distributon sent to Dealers who Ordered Large Quantities of This......

I don't have an Image of this set with the SILVER Borders.... Here is the Broze set inserted into Packs

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with John Oder. Cards appear in oddball places. The reach of the internet can be overestimated. There are people out there who collect cards, stamps, coins, whatever that have never been online and don't feel like they are missing anything. I have known and continue to know people exactly like that. If you didn't use a computer at work by around 1985, you probably didn't feel like you needed one at home. A lot of these people have their own mix of the common and the rare and they or their heirs end up unloading at least some of their collections at garage/estate sales and flea markets. "New old stuff" still appears on the market that way. Even the seasoned card collector might prefer to sell at a show because selling online can be a hassle.

Also, some people forget what they have or they don't think their stuff is worth anything yet they still like it. Some collectors are just private people and don't feel the need to talk about what they have or what they are looking for. They just like to buy things in-person.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I don't think there are any promos hiding out there anymore, if they exist they are known about and because of the global selling place called the internet it is fairly easy to see just how often these things come up for sale.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vampy:
what about the Rittenhouse cards done for the startrek shows for the vip guests
there promos and autos do they class as promos and sometimes theres only 5 to eight handed out, I recently got hold of an unsigned auto card promo for one of the shows ?

In my opinion, which is worth like... 1 cent, no. Since it doesn't promote a card set. I consider it more of a premium card really. Though that word doesn't get used as much anymore.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the process of researching the two Speed Racer promo cards I have (P1 and P2), I came across this thread. Fascinating stuff -- I read it start to finish.

With all the talk here about the Speed Racer P3 promo card I didn't see a picture posted anywhere. The early links are now broken. But there is a scan posted at the Trading Card Museum site:

And I also wondered about another SR promo card, that doesn't seem to be listed. I can only post a shot of the front. Can anyone fill me in on this one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GregAlex,

Posts: 4 | Location: Pendleton, OR | Registered: August 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Speed Racer P3 is so hard to find as it was only available thru a sendaway offer on the wrapper, which no one took note of. Guess the writing was so small ? Smile

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The real obstacle was the price point. In 1993, what kid was going to spend $3 on a single card -- AND you had to mail in five foil wrappers, too!

Posts: 4 | Location: Pendleton, OR | Registered: August 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card that I never heard of-- no, I do not have one

Planet of the Apes baseball card by Topps, only 10 made. Came out in 2011, produced in conjunction with the Mego Museum

Anyone have one ?

Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Those 10 POTA cards were done by me - the Mego Museum didn't have anything to do with it. Rather, I just decided to have some fun (more for my own benefit than anything else). I did trade/give out a few of them on the Mego Museum forum and one of them ultimately showed up in their online card gallery.

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am a huge POTA fan. Do you have any left ?

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:

I did trade/give out a few of them on the Mego Museum forum

I have one so you must have traded or gave to me, i really like it, thank you. Wavey

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post