Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good one I did not mean that they were rare there are probably thousands out there but they could be as Inkworks never released the set only promos but rare in the respect that it hardly comes up for sale on the bay although there is one listed they also do not command a premium price I would say a cheap quiet hard to get card as i am not sure what a card that comes for sale once or twice a year would be classed as in the rarity stakes
even though it is post 2000
Piko

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin9duck:
Not a promo card a such but this is a sketch card that was used to promote the set. The card was made to look like it was done on the card stock from the previse set but then they use a different card stock for the set. Unlike most sketch cards used for promotion on boxes etc. this card was not released as part of the set and was used for promotion only. I got the card direct from the artist when I got an artist proof card for the set from him.

What a great card, i had never seen that before. an unusual addition to the set. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
Dealers were given a 1/1 black & white version of their promo to go with the limited number of normal cards they got on the Doctor Who Daleks set.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I don't have that rare GODZILLA promo, but I absolutely love that movie. I cried when pour Godzilla's heart stopped beating.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that The Simpsons B1 promo has become a good seller. It used to be about a $3 card, a somewhat common comic insert as you noted, but people are sending it in for grading and getting $30-40 for cards around PSA 5 and getting a little more for ungraded cards. Some sellers are offering the comic with the card still inside for that and more. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about but wonder if some of the buyers have confused the common B1 with the rare Willy "The Dupe" Dipkin card from the Diamond Conference which is numbered, P4.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
The retailer's exclusive Simpsons P4 card is indeed essentially the same on the front as the B1 version (found in comics).

The backs of the two cards however, are significantly different. The P4 reverse side has humorous baseball card type statistics for the famed Springfield (now Albuquerque) Isotopes slugger, whereas the B4 version simply has the standard (typeset) ad promoting Simpsons comics.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have both cards and here are the scans of the backs plus 1 front:-

Same Front
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Back of B1

Back of P4

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's impossible to know what's going to be hard to find in the future and we've all guessed right and wrong. I assume you acquired those cards years ago. After going through some notes, I see that the B1 has been going up in value, getting $15-20 a couple of years ago (though you could still bag it for less if you watched for it), so it might be less a matter of confusion and more one of a recognition that the P4 isn't coming down in price so I better get the B1 before it flies away from affordability too. It might also be an indicator of some of those new or returning collectors of last year picking up some cards that longtime collectors already have and there's enough of them to drive up prices.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

I would have acquired the B1 when it was first available. In those days we had a major wholesaler who imported most non-sport trading cards including a lot of the associated promo cards. When he departed from the wholesale business the collecting of trading cards from the US manufacturers here in the UK has suffered greatly mainly as a result of eBay trading practices and especially now when shipping is at ludicrous amounts. I acquired the P4 card about 12 years ago from an eBay UK seller.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John,

Yeah, the rising shipping costs have killed a lot of business for collectibles dealers. An American dealer can't sell a $5 card set to a UK collector because it costs another $16 and up to ship it. Unless it's an unusually-good deal on a rare set, no collector would do that. I sent a box to Switzerland in May. It cost me $16. My friend sent me a box last month. He said it would have cost him over $30 to send it with a tracking number.

In the late 90's to mid-2000's, I think shipping that same box from the US to Europe had a cost of about $8.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Jess

I would have acquired the B1 when it was first available. In those days we had a major wholesaler who imported most non-sport trading cards including a lot of the associated promo cards. When he departed from the wholesale business the collecting of trading cards from the US manufacturers here in the UK has suffered greatly mainly as a result of eBay trading practices and especially now when shipping is at ludicrous amounts. I acquired the P4 card about 12 years ago from an eBay UK seller.

regards

John

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by promoking in 2008:

"These cards are known by many names: promo, prototype, sample etc. A purist may take exception to using these terms interchangeably but for right now, suffice it to say that all of these words describe a trading card that has been made to promote a product, event or card set and is distributed for free. "

After all these years, I am attempting to classify the different types of cards that may be considered and included under the rubric of "promotional cards". Please feel free to comment, agree or disagree with my definitions.

PROMO CARD- a trading card that was originally produced to herald the upcoming release of a set of cards and normally includes specific details and the release date of the actual set somewhere on the card.

PROTOTYPE/PROTO CARD- a trading card that was produced to either show the franchise's license holder what the cards will look like once the design has been approved or an attempt by a trading card company to obtain a coveted license from the franchisor, to manufacture a particular franchise's cards.

TEST CARD- a card that has similar attributes to a prototype card but is made at a manufacturer's request to gauge collectors' appetites for a particular set of cards for which it already has a license, or for which it is contemplating obtaining one.

SAMPLE CARD- a trading card whose design and content is no different than the corresponding cards in the set. The word "sample" is usually factory stamped on the card. Some sample cards, however, have nuanced differences between them, and the cards actually released later on.

PRODUCT INSERT CARD- a trading card that is packaged within a product to "entice" or "reward" the purchaser with a bonus for buying the product. Many card collectors buy the underlying product just to acquire the card inside the package.

PREVIEW CARD- usually another designation for describing a card or set of cards that are issued prior to the actual card set's release and have the word "preview" factory stamped on the cards. Normally these cards are given away, but some have been sold as a marketing ploy by some manufacturers.

RECALLED PROMOTIONAL CARD- a trading card that was already manufactured, under a legally obtained license, but for one reason or another, ended up having only a few of the exemplars released to the general public and the rest destroyed.

UNRELEASED PROMOTIONAL CARD- a trading card that was made, pursuant to a validly obtained license but which, after having been manufactured, is banned or forbidden from being distributed to the card collectors.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, "promo," "prototype," "sample," and "test card" have been used interchangeably by various individuals and companies but they can have different meanings. I've noticed some draw a strong distinction between a promo and a "product insert" or "product premium." A "test card" can also be part of a set that was test-marketed in a certain area of the country to gauge consumer interest before going nationwide with the product but that is more of an older definition because I haven't heard of a company testing out a card set since at the least the early 90's. I think the last one was a history set about the Battle of the Little Bighorn, a small company release.

We've seen "sample cards" also be just singles from the regular set packaged in cello packs that were given out. Some collectors hang on to these two with the knowledge that if you open the pack, there goes the distinction between promo and regular card.

I always thought "recalled card" was a bit of a misnomer because it wasn't that cards were sent out and then a request was sent out for their return. It's like you said - a quantity was sent out and then someone noticed a printing error or a license agreement for an image couldn't be finalized.

I've noticed that some collectors consider a promo card as specifically a card that promotes a card set. To me a card that promotes a card set, an artwork, a book, or an air show, or whatever are all promo cards.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
To me a card that promotes a card set, an artwork, a book, or an air show, or whatever are all promo cards.

To me, there's a problem with using "promo" to refer to promoting anything other than a card set, and that is, such a defintion captures way too many cards that we don't normally consider "promo" cards. For example, was the original "Mars Attacks" a promo set? It was used to promote the sale of the bubble gum in the package.
What about the F280-3 Space Patrol cards? They promoted Chex cereals.
All of the classic N- and T-cards promoted cigarettes and other tobacco products. We don't group them into "promo cards".
Tip Top Space Cards promoted the sales of the loaves of bread they were inserted in.

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I put the cards you're listing into the "old cards" category.

Reserving "promo card" just for cards that promote other cards is way too restrictive. You need to come up with another term if you really feel the need to do that. You could call them "card promo cards." No, that sounds awkward. The way things work in the English language, especially in American English, is that we like a fast word or two when we label things. What sounds good as a blanket term? Promo cards. We use it for every card that promotes something. If you want to say some card from the 60's that promotes bubble gum is a promo, uh, okay. If you want to reserve it for promotional cards from the 80's to today, that's fine too. In the future, the kids might just all them "pros" because "promos" takes too long to say.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
To me a card that promotes a card set, an artwork, a book, or an air show, or whatever are all promo cards.

To me, there's a problem with using "promo" to refer to promoting anything other than a card set, and that is, such a defintion captures way too many cards that we don't normally consider "promo" cards. For example, was the original "Mars Attacks" a promo set? It was used to promote the sale of the bubble gum in the package.
What about the F280-3 Space Patrol cards? They promoted Chex cereals.
All of the classic N- and T-cards promoted cigarettes and other tobacco products. We don't group them into "promo cards".
Tip Top Space Cards promoted the sales of the loaves of bread they were inserted in.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bill, last year I saw on ebay a 8 x 10 Superman card from 1948 and on the back it advertised the then current Superman comic books.

One of the first non-sports promos ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Personally I would say the first non sport promo must be the Marquis of Lorne tobacco card insert that was issued in 1879. It features a picture of the Marquis of Lorne and was issued to advertise Marquis of Lorne Cigarettes made by Thos. H Hall of New York. It was a single card issue and found only inside the same named cigarette packs which according to reports the actual cigarette was not well liked. Burdick gave it the ACC catalogue no. of N519. Only a few exist with at least two in museums, one owned by Burdick himself and another owned by Wharton-Tigar (the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the British Museum respectively). Apparently a couple more exist in private hands. It is also regarded as the very first card ever issued.

I have seen a post card sized reproduction of the card that was given out at a Cartophilic lunch in October 1988. An image of the card has also featured on the front cover of our club magazine.

Regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Fascinating information John and Tommy. Thank you for the education. There is no doubt that the use of the word "promo card" to refer to any and all promotional trading cards ever issued is a misnomer. I would like to invite all members on this board to suggest their own definition of "promo card" and, as I like to say, we'll crown the winner together.

here are my suggestions:

I believe we should keep my original definition of promo card and limit it accordingly.

I am proposing the next word and definition. I know AD card already exists and hence the new word.

ADVECARD-a trading or oversized card manufactured and distributed to promote an event or geographical local; entertainment franchise (this would include all comic cards not associated with a card set as well as any movie, television, etc. show that didn't release a set of cards but nevertheless issued trading cards); company (Oracle cards, Dart and Skybox self-promotion cards are examples); cause (there are a myriad trading cards promoting different causes like endangered animals for example).
If anyone wants examples of promotional trading cards that fits into this definition, I'll be happy to comply.

Let's poke holes in this definition to see if it can stick and, suggest any sub-categories that cover groups or single "promo cards" that don't fit into this nomenclature.

Where else can you have so much fun? Wave

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think "advecard" would get shortened to "ad card" if did catch on in the hobby. It's already a term that has been used interchangeably with promo card as you noted. It's tough to get invented words to stick in common usage across environments or media. It usually spreads among kids from popular song lyrics or something a popular celebrity uncorks in an interview.

In any case, it's tough to get a room full of people to agree on anything especially something like basic terms. Most of us might agree on a particular one but it all goes out the window when it doesn't get used or when two or three productive posters use another one instead and that one catches on.

Here's an ad card marked as such on the front from the sports card world. It doesn't promote a particular set. It's an advertisement for the company and said to have been printed circa 1990.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Fascinating information John and Tommy. Thank you for the education. There is no doubt that the use of the word "promo card" to refer to any and all promotional trading cards ever issued is a misnomer. I would like to invite all members on this board to suggest their own definition of "promo card" and, as I like to say, we'll crown the winner together.

here are my suggestions:

I believe we should keep my original definition of promo card and limit it accordingly.

I am proposing the next word and definition. I know AD card already exists and hence the new word.

ADVECARD-a trading or oversized card manufactured and distributed to promote an event or geographical local; entertainment franchise (this would include all comic cards not associated with a card set as well as any movie, television, etc. show that didn't release a set of cards but nevertheless issued trading cards); company (Oracle cards, Dart and Skybox self-promotion cards are examples); cause (there are a myriad trading cards promoting different causes like endangered animals for example).
If anyone wants examples of promotional trading cards that fits into this definition, I'll be happy to comply.

Let's poke holes in this definition to see if it can stick and, suggest any sub-categories that cover groups or single "promo cards" that don't fit into this nomenclature.

Where else can you have so much fun? Wave

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't think ADVECARD will stick. It sounds French. Big Grin

In one of these threads Ed Webb was trying to compile a comprehensive list of definitions for hobby words/terms and was taking suggestions before publishing. As I recall nobody agreed on hardly anything and I don't think he ever put out a finished product. I hope you have better luck on the promo side of things, but knowing card collectors, I wouldn't count on it. Wink

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Advecard?....isn't that a drink, my granny used to have some at christmas.

According to ebay every card is a promo card and whats more they are very rare promo cards and hence worth a fortune.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post