Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHICH IS THE RAREST PROMO
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Never herd of any Embossed foil promo for the DC Bloodlines. It could be one of the Chase cards that did not get numbered, making it a error card.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was wondering as it listed under J.A. House of Checklists as

PROMO CARDS

P1 The Man of Steel!
P2 The Man of Tomorrow!
P3 The Last Son of Krypton!
P4 Superboy!
--- (Unnumbered, embossed foil "1994")--- Which, if any, is the real Man of Steel? (Unnumbered, "four supermen";
Adventures of Superman No. 500)

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE makes no mention of an embossed foil promo for
DC Bloodlines. Here's a scan of the unnumbered
"4 Supermen" card you mentioned if that helps.

Posts: 1358 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How about on the Donruss Americana sets--

The Humphrey Bogart promo. Has anyone actually seen one ? Donruss says that they created one (didn't say how many) and ALL were sent directly to Bogart's family

The Wayne Newton promo. Shows him as a young singer. I saw a scan of it once, but lost the image. Apparently it was recalled, but a few were mistakenly given out at a National (NSCC) show when Donruss was doing these sets. Anyone have one ???

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I don't see that I've joined this thread in the past 2 years. I thought I did. I don't have time today to search though 6 more pages, so has there been any talk of the Mirage motion promo?

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
I don't see that I've joined this thread in the past 2 years. I thought I did. I don't have time today to search though 6 more pages, so has there been any talk of the Mirage motion promo?

there's a search function on the forum that might help you with this

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:

there's a search function on the forum that might help you with this

I know. Just wasn't worth the time.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In terms of rare promos, there are some out there where only 1 or 2 exist (literally)

For example, Cult Stuff did a particular bunny promo for dealer Mhopnhop which I have seen a scan of. Only 1 made

And Faerie Metal did a few cards, where supposedly only 1 or 2 exist. Some of the white variants.

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I have a metal variant of my P17. Only two exist.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Not as rare as some of these others but Viceroy made a gold promo poker chip for my group breaks on another site. 80 made and one was handed out for each box in the break.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have seen on "the auction site" a Titanic promo by Cult Stuff, supposedly only 5 made

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It has been alleged that on the recent Garbage Pail Kids SP1 card that came in the IDW Comics, that there was only ONE made of the red bordered variant !

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
There are many promos that in the last few years have been purposely short printed and dubbed rare. That's not what I would consider rare! It's an attempt by a manufacturer to reward a good client or to manipulate scarcity through rarefied distribution venues.
Frankly, there is NO difference between these alleged rare promos of which we know the exact number made and any other artificially "limited edition" collectible card.
I am not knocking anyone for wanting to collect these newly minted short printed cards for the pure pleasure of owning one, but I for one will not be sucked in by these marketing techniques especially when it comes to collecting promo cards.
It has been my experience as a collector for over 40 years of varied collectibles including cards, stamps and comic books that most items whose scarcity is extrinsically dictated rather than established by forces outside the control of those who have the most to gain, almost invariably lose their value over time. I would be lying if I did not want, when the time comes, to sell my collection for at least what I invested in it and I wouldn't mind a little profit as well. we all know how passionate we can be about these pieces of cardboard and that most of us spend more money on this hobby than we wish to admit to almost anyone... Big Grin
So, if you refer back to my original list none of the cards mentioned were intentionally produced for the sole purpose of making them rare, to the best of my knowledge. each was labeled as rare because although there were probably hundreds if not thousands made, due to various but unique circumstances each became rare in its own right. That is the criterion that establishes, in my opinion, rarity.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have not seen a scan, but apparently the GPK SP1 red that I mentioned above has a gold foil # 1 on the back, which the person has interpreted as meaning that only 1 exists

Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
I like promoking's comments ... to my way of thinking, promo cards are advertising... and when I publish promo cards I make sure everyone who wants one can get one (and I don't 'sell' them... I only ever give them away. Not because that's just common courtesy of a publisher to collectors but in theory it might prompt someone to actually purchase the card series the card is promoting). I don't actually see the point of creating a promo card so scarce virtually no one can have it unless they shell out big bucks at auction or on ebay... then again, like Kurt at Monster Wax (who has a truly EXCELLENT philosophy about publishing and collation... check out his website), I am not a fan of creating certain cards so scarce that a person can't collect an entire set of something without spending their kid's college fund on ebay... the only 'point' I see to that is purely speculative, NOT trading card collecting... and perhaps that's why the 'hobby' is suffering and true collectors are leaving... and the speculators will linger around until no one is really left who collects anymore. The more certain publishers are encouraged to engage in artificial scarcity the more they'll do it... and the more genuine collectors will leave the hobby because, after all, who wants to build a jigsaw puzzle when you can only acquire 95% of the pieces? Perhaps that might be one reason the number of kids who collect has dwindled... kids are no dummies, they know if a card set is impossible to collect then they won't collect it. Interesting article in the current NSU about collectors leaving the hobby... and with that I'm done, for now, with my unsolicited opinion :-)

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I like your unsolicited opinion and it is great to hear a card manufacturer talk about the hobby without advocating class warfare. Big Grin

Artificial scarcity is kind of the name of the game these days, whether in promos or products, and unfortunately non-sport card collectors have bought into the idea. It's only when they get told that they are not the "type" of buyer that a certain product was designed for that they begin to regret getting led down that path. Wink

Posts: 10405 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After 20 years of searching, I finally found a Skybox Creators Master Series P0 ! I hope I can post a scan of it here for all to see.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Posted for David R. One of the rarest promos. Nice!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John Oder,

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, well done, what made this such a hard card to find?

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, no one seems to know why certain 1993-1994 SkyBox promos are so tough to find. I can think of these:

Creators Master Series P0
Ultraverse Master Series H1
DC Cosmic Teams P1
Blackball Comics P01 and P02

It would make an interesting NSU article !

Regarding the P0, I was told years ago of two sightings, one at a SkyBox table at a NYC comic show, circa 1994, where it was on display behind glass. The other, someone saw in a binder of rare SkyBox prototypes