Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    record price for a promo card
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

record price for a promo card
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
The 1996 split level refractor Star Wars promo card just sold for a BIN price of $1,500.00 on Ebay. That is a record price for that card and one of the highest prices for a promo in recent memory.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I just checked the auction. I've never even seen that card, but it does make me glad I never started collecting Star Wars cards, except for the occasional promo that came my way.

At least the shipping was free.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is a good sign that there are still collectors willing and able to pay up for a rare promo. Any excitement about this sale, however, must be tempered by an auction from a few months ago which started at $149.99 and ended at $413. I think that gives us a better idea of where collectors agree on the ballpark value for now. I'm not sure if it would have gone for more had the auction gotten more word-of-mouth (don't remember how many bidders there were).

As I recall, this promo has sold for around $1500 and at least $800 in the past (before 2008). Getting it for $413 was a great deal and there should be a fine future payoff in hanging onto that card. Getting it for $1500 might be buying it at its maximum value, but for that collector who might have missed the previous auction and had been waiting years for one to come up for sale, congratulations. It's one of the holy grails of promos and Star Wars cards.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
The 1996 split level refractor Star Wars promo card just sold for a BIN price of $1,500.00 on Ebay. That is a record price for that card and one of the highest prices for a promo in recent memory.

Posts: 4379 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is the regular sized card, not the sheet, right ?

Is there one version of the regular sized promo ? I have that one

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
This is the regular size card which is immensely harder to find than the refractor OS sheet from this series.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1020 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I definitely have this card. Smile

I don't have the refractor sheet, just the regular sheet.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Another sold on Ebay for $2,000.There are some real hardcore Star war collectors out there!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow. It's a great sign for the hobby when a card leapfrogs from $1500 to a 25% increase in price the next year. I must admit I thought that card peaked last year but with new Star Wars movies coming out we may be seeing some some new collectors getting involved, possibly even re-energizing some of the older collectors.

It's also a good sign that the Outlander Season2 P10 is doing so well. I've noticed a few other promos going for a little more than they would've a couple of years ago.

Jess

quote:
Another sold on Ebay for $2,000.There are some real hardcore Star war collectors out there!

Posts: 4379 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Wow. It's a great sign for the hobby when a card leapfrogs from $1500 to a 25% increase in price the next year. I must admit I thought that card peaked last year but with new Star Wars movies coming out we may be seeing some some new collectors getting involved, possibly even re-energizing some of the older collectors.

It's also a good sign that the Outlander Season2 P10 is doing so well. I've noticed a few other promos going for a little more than they would've a couple of years ago.

Jess

quote:

I agree jess,
A 101 Dalmatians SW1 promo has just sold for $275.00 BIN So it's either that the holiday season is starting early or hopefully there is a resurgent interest in our hobby.