Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Is anyone else trying to collect every card in PCE?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone else trying to collect every card in PCE?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David,

Yes, I remember those. There were four and they were given out one per attendee in a bag of stuff (show program, giveaway comic, etc.) when you paid admission. A lot people scratched them for the prize and they littered the convention floor near registration.

I had an unscratched set plus some extras years ago - now gone. I would have thought more people would have saved those. Even after the con, I didn't see a lot of them for sale online.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Jess, talking about SDCC promos, one set I do not have are those X-Files cards from 1999 or 2000, where you scratched them off to win some prize. Have you ever seen them ? Supposedly they are tough to find unscratched at this point. I think there are 4, and I once saw 1 on ebay, asking price like $ 200 !

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
There are 4 and I have some unscratched. Also the Mystery Men.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Hearts:
There are 4 and I have some unscratched. Also the Mystery Men.
Ace

Ace,
I know this is an old thread but can you please contact me.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm still looking for 1 of those Earth Tribe cards. (See above) I last saw a set on ebay around 2012 or so, and it sold for $ 20.

There are a bunch of the comics on ebay for $ 2 or less, but no cards

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Perhaps one day, hopefully in the not too distant future, I will announce on this forum that I have finally accomplished my goal. Until then, the hunt continues....

It's been almost 4 years since I posted the original thread and have made major inroads in my quest since. Along the way I have made many new friends and discovered and acquired literally thousands of promo cards issued between 1987 and 2008, not documented in PCE.

I am now missing less than 100 cards/sets to own every promo card listed in PCE . I hope this is the year my dream comes true!!!

Thank you to all who have contributed toward my goal!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you, hope you get many more this year. Clap

Looks like there is a case for a new pce to include all the ones you have found.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you Wolfie. I wouldn't mind publishing an updated PCE but I would definitely need some help. The more I delve into Todd's work, the more I realize what a daunting task he undertook and eventually accomplished. I can tell you with certainty however, that there's has been a noticeable increase in interest with collecting promo cards in the last 2 years. I believe people are finally catching on to some of their elusiveness (see Hammer Horror Series 2 P2 Big Grin).

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

(see Hammer Horror Series 2 P2 Big Grin).

Oh don't mention that one, along with the Avengers A7 there are 2 big empty holes in my binder. Shake Head

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

At this point we might have to start thinking about PCE in terms of volumes. Promos of the late 80's and 90's might be one volume. Promos of the 2000's would be another. Independent of that, there might be a volume that covers roughly 1988 to 2008, a classic era for promos and would include all the updates that have been listed in the PCE updates/corrections thread. I'll be updating my posts with cards I found last year sometime in the coming weeks.

And yes, congratulations on closing the distance to the degree you have in the past few years. While I continue to pick up other cards, I have been concentrating on looking for 1988-2008 promos as well

Jess

quote:
Thank you Wolfie. I wouldn't mind publishing an updated PCE but I would definitely need some help. The more I delve into Todd's work, the more I realize what a daunting task he undertook and eventually accomplished. I can tell you with certainty however, that there's has been a noticeable increase in interest with collecting promo cards in the last 2 years. I believe people are finally catching on to some of their elusiveness (see Hammer Horror Series 2 P2 Big Grin).

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Jess,
Are you ready for the challenge? Maybe we should just update the earlier thread with all the new finds we have made rather than go through the trouble of a book. Maybe David, will start a new thread with the updates from 2009-2019?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the easiest thing (though certainly time-comsuming on its own) is just to keep updating the thread. I did notice that I seemed to hit a character limit in at least one post. I couldn't paste in any more listings so I found a place to stop and then edited the next post to take more listings. Still, a book could be the receptacle for photos of some oddball cards not previously documented.

Yeah, we can let David take on a whole ten years by himself. He has a wife and kids and at least one job. I'm sure he has tons of free time.

Jess

quote:
Jess,
Are you ready for the challenge? Maybe we should just update the earlier thread with all the new finds we have made rather than go through the trouble of a book. Maybe David, will start a new thread with the updates from 2009-2019?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After reading these posts regarding collecting every card in the Promo Encyclopedia and seeing all the additions that have been put up in other posts it seems that there are more unlisted cards than listed. i do not think that anyone should go to the time and expense of printing a book we seemingly do not need prices as these are all over the place but it seems that we certainly need a list perhaps a new thread needs to be started for promo cards only no discussion on it that can be dealy with on other threads members can put their lists on to it and if necessary delete them then all promo cards are in the one thread with no distractions there could be groups etc Topps Breygent Buffy James Bond etc that cards could be assigned too or just listed from A to Z it would possibly not be east to get them all in alphabetical order but if they were just put into a group I am sure that people would find the card that they wanted the main thing though is to get them all on one thread without conversations on the cost rarity of the cards being discussed on that thread if it happens i am sure that the moderators can sort it out pretty quickly I only collect Inkworks promos I class Box Cards Case Cards dealer and Case Incentives Preview cards as promos I am prepared to put up my Inkworks list on the thread if it is started

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post