Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Non-Sports VS Sports

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/4487026786

March 17, 2022, 03:37 AM
catskilleagle
Non-Sports VS Sports
Here's one from from the 16-card "NSW RL" set (The Continuity Group, 1992). It was given out by newsagents in Australia. Each one is a dual-image lenticular with the image changing from a photo of a rugby team logo to a game action photo. The card backs provide background information on one of the teams in the league. They were selling for $7 or 8 each a few years ago. I don't know what they are going for now.

Rugby is one of those sports that has trading cards including promos like this one but there doesn't appear to be a guide documenting them. I think Todd had considered including them in PCE (and there may be one listed in PCE2008) but has since decided against it. I think this could be one of those borderline sports/non-sports promos because of the half emphasis on the logos. I bought this one because the Cronulla-Sutherland mascot is a shark and it's a cool logo.

June 07, 2022, 12:52 AM
catskilleagle
This card has a front that looks like a Jim Kelly football card, and in fact, there are two similar Skybox football cards but they have different backs. The back of this one has a logo for "The Sports City Grill," a restaurant Kelly opened and owned for three years. The card was given to VIP guests at the grand opening party in 1993.

One of the other cards shows Kelly in the same photo but holding a wrapped present instead of a football and the back has a Christmas message. The third card is either another promo or a special chase card. It has "Skybox" in foil on the front, it's numbered S4 on the back, and the rest of the back is also different. The "Skybox" logo on the front of the restaurant promo does not have the foil stamping.

February 17, 2024, 01:39 AM
catskilleagle
Below is one of three promos (plus a prototype) for an unusually expanded set of cards series (PM Cards, 1991) with at least a few subsets, each featuring a different category. Each of the regular cards is coated with a gram of precious metal (either gold, platinum, or silver).

This card directly promotes one of the sports subsets and features artwork by Gregory Perillo. There were non-sports subsets as well (Native Americans, Coins, Country Classics, etc.). None of the three promos are coated with precious metal as stamped on the back, "No Gold Content."

PM cards will sound familiar to longtime collectors as sets made by Collect-A-Card in the 90's had chase cards and artist proofs coated with 1 gram of gold. The cards were made by the same company and it's not stated outright but it appears PM Cards might have been part of Collect-A-Card or at least a partner/some relation.

February 26, 2024, 03:32 AM
catskilleagle
Here's another promotional card for PM Cards, this one marked as a prototype with language that says the company is taking sports cards to the next level without mentioning the non-sports cards it was also making. This card is stamped as a "replica" not containing any gold but there is a variant of the card that does have 1 gram of pure gold and another with 1 gram of platinum.

If you look around, you will find an assortment of the cards PM made but I don't think any of the price guides, sports or non-sports, have them listed.

February 26, 2024, 05:48 AM
catskilleagle
It looks like a Topps 1958 Stan Musial card on the front but it's actually a 1991 reprint with a different back - one of a 4-card set (Musial, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Mickey Mantle) created to promote the "East Coast National," a sports card and memorabilia show that took place August 16, 1991.