Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
1994 Topps Star Wars Galaxy DH1 & DH3 Promo back variants

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/4377021596

December 17, 2020, 03:51 PM
JOHN LEVITT
1994 Topps Star Wars Galaxy DH1 & DH3 Promo back variants
Good Evening

Whilst sorting out a bunch of Topps Star Wars promo cards I came across text variants on the backs of 2 Topps Star Wars Galaxy Cards (DH1 & DH3) that were issued in 1994. I did carry out a search on CardTalk but found no evidence that they had been reported previously so I thought I would share them with you.

On the back of card DH1 the word "upcoming" is hyphenated on one card (lines seven and eight) and not on the other (line eight) thus causing the rest of the text to be re-arranged, which is obvious when you compare the last line on each card. The hyphenated card shows a last line of "December 1994" and the non-hyphenated "1994"

On the back of card DH3 the word "commander" is hyphenated on one card (lines three and four) not on the other (line four) on another. again causing the rest of the text to be re-arranged, which is obvious when you compare the last line on each card. The hyphenated card shows a last line of "Coming to December 1994" and the non-hyphenated "December 1994"

These cards appear in the 2008 PCE on Page 139 at the bottom right hand corner but no variant text is mentioned. I do not know which version of the cards was issued first.

I have shown the four different backs as below:-

Back of DH1 without hyphenation
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Back of DH1 with hyphenation

Back of DH3 without hyphenation

Back of DH3 with hyphenation

regards

John

December 17, 2020, 07:08 PM
catskilleagle
Hi John,

If you do a search for "DH1" you will find a note on the variations of that card but not DH3 under "Star Wars Galaxy Season One."

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....687029186#2687029186

The DH1 variations at least are known among some promo and Star Wars card collectors. I think I first read about those on a Star Wars card site. I think I have the "December 1994" variant and did buy the "1994" card on the bay a few years ago but the dealer sent me the "December 1994." I pointed out that he sent me the wrong card. He refunded my money but didn't understand how it made a difference and that guy is an experienced card dealer. He didn't know about text variations in cards?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Good Evening

Whilst sorting out a bunch of Topps Star Wars promo cards I came across text variants on the backs of 2 Topps Star Wars Galaxy Cards (DH1 & DH3) that were issued in 1994. I did carry out a search on CardTalk but found no evidence that they had been reported previously so I thought I would share them with you.

On the back of card DH1 the word "upcoming" is hyphenated on one card (lines seven and eight) and not on the other (line eight) thus causing the rest of the text to be re-arranged, which is obvious when you compare the last line on each card. The hyphenated card shows a last line of "December 1994" and the non-hyphenated "1994"

On the back of card DH3 the word "commander" is hyphenated on one card (lines three and four) not on the other (line four) on another. again causing the rest of the text to be re-arranged, which is obvious when you compare the last line on each card. The hyphenated card shows a last line of "Coming to December 1994" and the non-hyphenated "December 1994"

These cards appear in the 2008 PCE on Page 139 at the bottom right hand corner but no variant text is mentioned. I do not know which version of the cards was issued first.

I have shown the four different backs as below:-

Back of DH1 without hyphenation

Back of DH1 with hyphenation

Back of DH3 without hyphenation

Back of DH3 with hyphenation

regards

John

December 18, 2020, 01:22 AM
Bond
Jeff's Allender's site notes the DH1 variation, but not the DH3 variation.

Also noticed that the word AUTHORIZATION is hyphenated in the Trademark line.

Maybe these were corrected on a second print of the comics that they were bagged with?

Wondering if there is a non-hyphenated version of DH2...