Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1979 - Warner Bros. promo cards
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1979 - Warner Bros. promo cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted
Does anyone know the story on these cards? I know that the smaller cards have some errors as I have a couple. Anyone by chance have a checklist for both sets?

Thanks in advance
Cecil

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Did you see that someone has a sealed pack of 13 listed on EBay? Apparently, that's how they were distributed. There are at least 75 in the set, but finding a full checklist might be difficult.
The sealed pack is clear so you can see it has Fleetwood Mac on top and Nicolette Larson on back.
Good luck!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I heard they were given to radio stations. At least that's what one of the sellers has said in the past.

quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
Does anyone know the story on these cards? I know that the smaller cards have some errors as I have a couple. Anyone by chance have a checklist for both sets?

Thanks in advance
Cecil

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would think most on this forum know Fleetwood Mac but also doubt many would know Nicolette Larson. She had a great voice. One of her little gems was a duet with Michael McDonald, "Let me go, Love."

Now, I'm going to have to think about getting the Larson card. That set has a Steve Martin card too. I had wondered how many were in the set - might be fun to chase for anyone who remembers the 70's and laments the current near-lack of airplay of someone like Nicolette Larson.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
The sealed pack is clear so you can see it has Fleetwood Mac on top and Nicolette Larson on back.
Good luck!

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
She was a great talent, for sure. She sang backup on the classic Nitty Griity Dirt Band hit "Make A Little Magic". Her own biggest hit was "Lotta Love", I'd say. She died tragically young.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's true.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I heard they were given to radio stations. At least that's what one of the sellers has said in the past.

quote:

Thanks in advance
Cecil

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
She was a great talent, for sure. She sang backup on the classic Nitty Griity Dirt Band hit "Make A Little Magic". Her own biggest hit was "Lotta Love", I'd say. She died tragically young.

Lotta Love is such a timeless hit - I often hear it in my head... Is it really 40 years old? Thats so crazy

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Here's what I found.....still need help!

http://imageevent.com/publicga...us/1979warnerbros000

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great find, and a great set, loaded with then-future Hall of Famers from a wide range of musical genres and even standup comedians, two legends here with Gilda Radner and Steve Martin. Speaks to power of the Warner Brothers label even before all the mergers.
Ever askew Devo properly got the lone horizontal card, and the B-52s makes me drool, I love them so. Two cards for Shaun Cassidy and Neil Young. One call out, they used the same picture, just slightly differently cropped, on the Neil Youngs, but hardly anything else repeated, and the copy is well written on back, in the style of baseball cards. They even call these "baseball cards" on the ad-card. Randy Newman in Dollar sign parody KISS makeup for 1970's snark sake? Brilliant.
Young Prince right next to Sly Stone? Perfect.
A lot of these are famous publicity photos or album covers, but with plenty of them, I've never seen the image before.

Could you imagine the value of an autographed full set of these?

Good luck on your quest for them! How far along are you?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
I have all of the smaller cards shown in the link above, I still need about 20 of the standard size cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cecil,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So they made all of the cards in the two sizes?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
No, the set is as shown on the link I posted. It's all 1 set.

quote:
So they made all of the cards in the two sizes?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So there are 87 in the set ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two #10. The second has a copyright of
1977, 1978. All other cards are 1979.

Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice to see at least two people here, you and BillZEE know who she was. There's a tribute concert to her on CD. She must have been loved by a lot of people in the industry. I heard the CD doesn't contain all the songs from the concert. You'd have to hunt down a bootleg of it.

Yeah, the "easy rock" stations were playing "Lotta Love" well into the 80's before they started calling 70's stuff "classic rock" by the mid-90's. I haven't heard it on the radio in years but it's likely on the playlist of that Sirius 70's station.

Jess

quote:

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
So there are 87 in the set ?

No, there are a couple numbers missing from both sizes of the set.
Not sure if they weren't printed or they just haven't shown up.
That's why I posted this thread to hopefully find out these questions.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lag30240:

I have two #11's as well. Not sure about the dates,
I'll check at some point.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lag30240:

My #10 is the same as yours. My #11's are both 1979.
Thanks for your response! Are you collecting these yourself?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cecil,

There are two one-page 1994 articles on these cards in The Wrapper, issues 120 and 121. You can email Les Davis and ask for photocopies (snail mail him some stamps to seal the deal).

Jess

quote:

Thanks in advance
Cecil

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
You know, I have those issues somewhere....still
might be easier to get in touch with Les.....lol.

Any idea why this set isn't listed in
the promo guide?