Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1979 - Warner Bros. promo cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
1979 - Warner Bros. promo cards
 Login/Join
 
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are always going to be cards that didn't make the deadline. In that case Todd might not have included them because he considered them too old to be part of the promo card world he wanted to cover. Some 80's product premiums aren't listed either. 1988 was sort of a starting point for a number of companies issuing promo cards (remember Bill DeFranzo's article on the 20th anniversary of promo card collecting in a 2008 issue of NSU) but I think these cards should be listed. You might know Paul McCartney and Wings had a small set to promote an album release (Back to the Egg)- also in 1979. I think it was a fan club giveaway - will add to the list after the end of the year.

Jess



quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
You know, I have those issues somewhere....still
might be easier to get in touch with Les.....lol.

Any idea why this set isn't listed in
the promo guide?
 
Posts: 1437 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
I was hoping that someone just had information on the set list
since there appears to be some duplicate numbering issues and missing
numbers.


quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
There are always going to be cards that didn't make the deadline. In that case Todd might not have included them because he considered them too old to be part of the promo card world he wanted to cover. Some 80's product premiums aren't listed either. 1988 was sort of a starting point for a number of companies issuing promo cards (remember Bill DeFranzo's article on the 20th anniversary of promo card collecting in a 2008 issue of NSU) but I think these cards should be listed. You might know Paul McCartney and Wings had a small set to promote an album release (Back to the Egg)- also in 1979. I think it was a fan club giveaway - will add to the list after the end of the year.

Jess



quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
You know, I have those issues somewhere....still
might be easier to get in touch with Les.....lol.

Any idea why this set isn't listed in
the promo guide?
 
Posts: 706 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll try to get the info for that and include it within my next update.



quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
I was hoping that someone just had information on the set list
since there appears to be some duplicate numbering issues and missing
numbers.


quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
There are always going to be cards that didn't make the deadline. In that case Todd might not have included them because he considered them too old to be part of the promo card world he wanted to cover. Some 80's product premiums aren't listed either. 1988 was sort of a starting point for a number of companies issuing promo cards (remember Bill DeFranzo's article on the 20th anniversary of promo card collecting in a 2008 issue of NSU) but I think these cards should be listed. You might know Paul McCartney and Wings had a small set to promote an album release (Back to the Egg)- also in 1979. I think it was a fan club giveaway - will add to the list after the end of the year.

Jess



quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
You know, I have those issues somewhere....still
might be easier to get in touch with Les.....lol.

Any idea why this set isn't listed in
the promo guide?
 
Posts: 1437 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Quick question. All the stuff I have been adding
Seems to get almost no response, is it items that shouldn't be posted? I feel as if I'm wasting everyone's time, including mine.
 
Posts: 706 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
Quick question. All the stuff I have been adding
Seems to get almost no response, is it items that shouldn't be posted? I feel as if I'm wasting everyone's time, including mine.


Wasting time on a card forum? Now that sounds like an oxymoron. Big Grin

No, keep posting, people are reading even if they don't often respond.

With certain topics there is more specific knowledge needed than general opinion. General opinion gets more responses, while more specific areas require the experts. Promo collecting is highly specific, especially the way they are distributed these days.

I know that I read the promo sections all the time, but rarely reply to anything in them because I don't actively collect promos. I do learn a lot about areas where others collect, but usually have nothing useful to add because the posters know way more about promos than me.

So don't get discouraged by a lack of participation, most threads are short lived anyway. People don't respond for many reasons, but if someone learns something or one person comes back and tells you something you didn't know, than no one's efforts are wasted. So Thumb Up.
 
Posts: 7913 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In case anyone doesn't know, there's an article largely dedicated to these cards in the current NSU issue.
 
Posts: 1437 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cecil,

That link goes to an error page now.

Jess



quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
Here's what I found.....still need help!

http://imageevent.com/publicga...us/1979warnerbros000
 
Posts: 1437 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I emailed Les Davis and paid for photocopies of the two Wrapper articles about these cards. The first article had a partial list and the next one had a more complete, revised list.

Cards 1-20 are 2 1/8 x 3 3/8 inches. Here is the checklist for that group according to the second article (Wrapper 121, Feb 15-Apr 1, 1994, p. 14):

unnumbered "THIS COULD BE THE START OF SOMETHING BIG"
1 "Larry Graham"
2 "Jakob Magnusson"
3 "Candy Staton"
4 "Arlo Guthrie"
5 "Devo"
6 "Jan Garbarek"
7 "Eberhard Weber"
8 "Mick Goodrick"
9 "Keith Jarrett"
10a "Bootsy's Rubber Band"
10 "Gruppo Sportivo"
11a "Maria Muldaur"
11 "Dire Straits"
12 ?
13 ?
14 ?
15 ?
16 "Bellamy Brothers"
17 "Neil Young & Crazy Horse"
18 "Robert Palmer"
19 "Third World"
20 "Gibson Brothers"
21 ?

At this point I want to credit the author of the two articles, Ron Wilson, whose company Witcraft was a card dealer. He thanked several people for helping as follows: Denis Kramer, Cliff at LET IT BE RECORDS (CA), Kerwin Coughlin (MI), Ron Beauchamp (NH), Shelly Landerman (NY), Reed Lappin (MA), Steven Lillard (CA), Cathy Melvin (ME), Bobby Tutalo (RI), and Bruce Westbrook (TX). Thanks also to Les.

Wilson added that Shelly Landerman also has cards from Warner Bros. from 1975.

The article lists the #10 Gruppo Sportivo card as "10b" but I've seen the card and it's just numbered "10." It also lists the #11 Dire Straits card as "11b" but it just says "11."

I have just a few of these cards and will confirm the numbers with what I have and what I can find online. If anyone has cards that don't match the lists or can replace a question mark with a card, please speak up.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
 
Posts: 1437 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the checklist for the rest of the cards which are standard size, 2 1/2 x 3 1/2:

22 "Venus Dodson"
23 "Maureen McGovern"
24 "T.G. Sheppard"
25 "Flamin' Groovies"
26 "Deodato"
27 "Gayle Moran"
28 "The B-52's"
29 "Shaun Cassidy"
30 "Ry Cooder"
31 "Jimi Hendrix"
32 "The Sanford/Townsend Band"
33 "Roy Wood"
34 "Debby Boone"
35 "Danny Douma"
36 "Grace Jones"
37 "Randy Newman"
38 "The Korgis"
39 "Freddie James"
40 "Ashford & Simpson"
41 "Matrix"
42 "Vapour Trails"
43 "Caress"
44 "Willie Hutch"
45 "Elizabeth Barraclough"
46 "Tom Van Der Geld"
47 "Gary Burton & Chick Corea"
48 "Talking Heads"
49 "Rose Royce"
50 "Van Morrison"
51 "Steve Martin"
52 "Leo Sayer"
53 "Carlene Carter"
54 ?
55 "Mighty Pope"
56 "Lauren Wood"
57
58
59 "Funkadelic"
60 "Flora Purim"
61 "Marc Jordan"
62 "John Surman"
63 "Paul Motian Trio"
64 "Richard Bierach"
65 "David Ruffin"
66 "Foghat"
67 "Tom Johnston"
68 "Shaun Cassidy"
69 "Duncan Browne"
70 "Alda Reserve"
71 "Bob Marley & The Wailers"
72 "Margo Smith"
73 "Stargard"
74 "Donna fargo"
75 "Nicolette Larson"
76 "Prince"
77 "Sly & The Family Stone"
78 "Eugene Record"
79 "Fleetwood Mac"
80 "Rod Stewart"
81 "Wire"
82 "M"
83 "ZZ Top"
84 "Gilda Radner"
85 "Little Feat"
86 "Neil Young & Crazy Horse"
87 "Pat Metheny Group"


Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
 
Posts: 1437 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1979 - Warner Bros. promo cards

© Non-Sport Update 2013