Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1979 - Warner Bros. promo cards
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1979 - Warner Bros. promo cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are always going to be cards that didn't make the deadline. In that case Todd might not have included them because he considered them too old to be part of the promo card world he wanted to cover. Some 80's product premiums aren't listed either. 1988 was sort of a starting point for a number of companies issuing promo cards (remember Bill DeFranzo's article on the 20th anniversary of promo card collecting in a 2008 issue of NSU) but I think these cards should be listed. You might know Paul McCartney and Wings had a small set to promote an album release (Back to the Egg)- also in 1979. I think it was a fan club giveaway - will add to the list after the end of the year.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
You know, I have those issues somewhere....still
might be easier to get in touch with Les.....lol.

Any idea why this set isn't listed in
the promo guide?

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
I was hoping that someone just had information on the set list
since there appears to be some duplicate numbering issues and missing
numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
There are always going to be cards that didn't make the deadline. In that case Todd might not have included them because he considered them too old to be part of the promo card world he wanted to cover. Some 80's product premiums aren't listed either. 1988 was sort of a starting point for a number of companies issuing promo cards (remember Bill DeFranzo's article on the 20th anniversary of promo card collecting in a 2008 issue of NSU) but I think these cards should be listed. You might know Paul McCartney and Wings had a small set to promote an album release (Back to the Egg)- also in 1979. I think it was a fan club giveaway - will add to the list after the end of the year.

Jess

quote:

the promo guide?

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll try to get the info for that and include it within my next update.

quote:
I was hoping that someone just had information on the set list
since there appears to be some duplicate numbering issues and missing
numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Jess

quote:

the promo guide?

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Quick question. All the stuff I have been adding
Seems to get almost no response, is it items that shouldn't be posted? I feel as if I'm wasting everyone's time, including mine.

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quick question. All the stuff I have been adding
Seems to get almost no response, is it items that shouldn't be posted? I feel as if I'm wasting everyone's time, including mine.

Wasting time on a card forum? Now that sounds like an oxymoron. Big Grin

No, keep posting, people are reading even if they don't often respond.

With certain topics there is more specific knowledge needed than general opinion. General opinion gets more responses, while more specific areas require the experts. Promo collecting is highly specific, especially the way they are distributed these days.

I know that I read the promo sections all the time, but rarely reply to anything in them because I don't actively collect promos. I do learn a lot about areas where others collect, but usually have nothing useful to add because the posters know way more about promos than me.

So don't get discouraged by a lack of participation, most threads are short lived anyway. People don't respond for many reasons, but if someone learns something or one person comes back and tells you something you didn't know, than no one's efforts are wasted. So Thumb Up.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In case anyone doesn't know, there's an article largely dedicated to these cards in the current NSU issue.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cecil,

That link goes to an error page now.

Jess

quote:
Here's what I found.....still need help!

http://imageevent.com/publicga...us/1979warnerbros000

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I emailed Les Davis and paid for photocopies of the two Wrapper articles about these cards. The first article had a partial list and the next one had a more complete, revised list.

Cards 1-20 are 2 1/8 x 3 3/8 inches. Here is the checklist for that group according to the second article (Wrapper 121, Feb 15-Apr 1, 1994, p. 14):

unnumbered "THIS COULD BE THE START OF SOMETHING BIG"
1 "Larry Graham"
2 "Jakob Magnusson"
3 "Candy Staton"
4 "Arlo Guthrie"
5 "Devo"
6 "Jan Garbarek"
7 "Eberhard Weber"
8 "Mick Goodrick"
9 "Keith Jarrett"
10a "Bootsy's Rubber Band"
10 "Gruppo Sportivo"
11a "Maria Muldaur"
11 "Dire Straits"
12 ?
13 ?
14 ?
15 ?
16 "Bellamy Brothers"
17 "Neil Young"
18 "Robert Palmer"
19 "Third World"
20 "Gibson Brothers"
21 ?

At this point I want to credit the author of the two articles, Ron Wilson, whose company Witcraft was a card dealer. He thanked several people for helping as follows: Denis Kramer, Cliff at LET IT BE RECORDS (CA), Kerwin Coughlin (MI), Ron Beauchamp (NH), Shelly Landerman (NY), Reed Lappin (MA), Steven Lillard (CA), Cathy Melvin (ME), Bobby Tutalo (RI), and Bruce Westbrook (TX). Thanks also to Les.

Wilson added that Shelly Landerman also has cards from Warner Bros. from 1975.

The article lists the #10 Gruppo Sportivo card as "10b" but I've seen the card and it's just numbered "10." It also lists the #11 Dire Straits card as "11b" but it just says "11."

I have just a few of these cards and will confirm the numbers with what I have and what I can find online. If anyone has cards that don't match the lists or can replace a question mark with a card, please speak up.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the checklist for the rest of the cards which are standard size, 2 1/2 x 3 1/2:

22 "Venus Dodson"
23 "Maureen McGovern"
24 "T.G. Sheppard"
25 "Flamin' Groovies"
26 "Deodato"
27 "Gayle Moran"
28 "The B-52's"
29 "Shaun Cassidy"
30 "Ry Cooder"
31 "Jimi Hendrix"
32 "The Sanford/Townsend Band"
33 "Roy Wood"
34 "Debby Boone"
35 "Danny Douma"
36 "Grace Jones"
37 "Randy Newman"
38 "The Korgis"
39 "Freddie James"
40 "Ashford & Simpson"
41 "Matrix"
42 "Vapour Trails"
43 "Caress"
44 "Willie Hutch"
45 "Elizabeth Barraclough"
46 "Tom Van Der Geld"
47 "Gary Burton & Chick Corea"
48 "Talking Heads"
49 "Rose Royce"
50 "Van Morrison"
51 "Steve Martin"
52 "Leo Sayer"
53 "Carlene Carter"
54 ?
55 "Mighty Pope"
56 "Lauren Wood"
59 "Funkadelic"
60 "Flora Purim"
61 "Marc Jordan"
62 "John Surman"
63 "Paul Motian Trio"
64 "Richard Bierach"
65 "David Ruffin"
66 "Foghat"
67 "Tom Johnston"
68 "Shaun Cassidy"
69 "Duncan Browne"
70 "Alda Reserve"
71 "Bob Marley & The Wailers"
72 "Margo Smith"
73 "Stargard"
74 "Donna Fargo"
75 "Nicolette Larson"
76 "Prince"
77 "Sly & The Family Stone"
78 "Eugene Record"
79 "Fleetwood Mac"
80 "Rod Stewart"
81 "Wire"
82 "M"
83 "ZZ Top"
84 "Gilda Radner"
85 "Little Feat"
86 "Neil Young & Crazy Horse"
87 "Pat Metheny Group"

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a shot of the first 9 cards in the set (the unnumbered header card and 1-8).

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is what has been said to be the second group of cards in the set. However, if Dire Straits is #11 and the next card is #16 Bellamy Brothers, then either #12-15 were not made or the listing is incorrect. Scans of the card backs were not provided. I can see that the listing is certainly wrong with the card after Bellamy Brothers because it is just Neil Young (not Neil Young & Crazy Horse - now corrected).

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
https://imageevent.com/publicg...us/1979warnerbros000

The link above is still current. I have to assume it is correct until someone can prove this guy wrong. The cards missing and duplicated fall in line with my collection. So with a lot of patience and a little luck, I’m down to 2 cards.

#24 T.G. Shepard
#30 Ry Cooder

If you’re collecting these there’s a guy selling lots of 6 cards for $5.00. After what I bought I think he has 2 left. Cards are in great shape.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cecil,

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
As luck would have it, I just purchased another lot of WB cards to get the
#24 T.G. Shepard card!! Now, moving on to the ever elusive #30 Ry Cooper. The is one one the Devils Marketplace for like $20 but it’s been run through the ringer
And I’ve had my fill of upgrading cards.

quote:
https://imageevent.com/publicg...us/1979warnerbros000

The link above is still current. I have to assume it is correct until someone can prove this guy wrong. The cards missing and duplicated fall in line with my collection. So with a lot of patience and a little luck, I’m down to 1 card.

#30 Ry Cooder

If you’re collecting these there’s a guy selling lots of 6 cards for $5.00. After what I bought I think he has 2 left. Cards are in great shape.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Cecil. That's weird. The link wasn't working for a while.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
I don’t have the ability to post the picture but if you look up picadisc, on the devils highway, you’ll find a way that these cards were distributed. He doesn’t remember if they were in a sealed pack or not but this pack is labeled
Promo pack #2. Who knows how many were released to get the 87 cards out.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t have the ability to post the picture but if you look up picadisc, on the devils highway, you’ll find a way that these cards were distributed. He doesn’t remember if they were in a sealed pack or not but this pack is labeled
Promo pack #2. It comes with 6 33 1/3 EPS and 11 of the first cards issued. Who knows how many were released to get the 87 cards out.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cecil,

I've been watching to see what comes up for sale of these cards periodically over the past couple of years and I've seen some unopened packs. I just haven't haven't had the money to buy one. Earlier this year, one seller had a group of 4 packs as a BIN on "the bay" and then they disappeared only to resurface and then disappear again apparently unsold. I couldn't get the money together either time. However, I did learn something. I think it was a couple of years ago that someone else offered a sealed pack for around $60-65 and it sold. It had Fleetwood Mac on the top and Nicolette Larson on the bottom. This year, I saw another pack with the same top and bottom card and then I saw another one.

I have also seen more than one of each of the following sealed packs:

One with Steve Martin on the top and Flora Purim on the bottom.
One with the smaller-sized cards with the header on top and Mick Goodrick on the bottom
Another pack of the smaller-sized cards with the Bellamy Brothers on top and Third World on the bottom.

There was also a pack with Randy Newman on top but I don't know which card is on the bottom and I've seen one more with Ry Cooder on top with Maureen McGovern as the bottom card. I haven't seen another sealed pack with other cards on the top and bottom other than what I've listed but there may be another pair variation unless the cards in between are random.

There is a pack with Steve Martin/Flora Purim floating on the bay right now but the seller wants $149 for it which is "the crazy price." At best that Steve Martin card is worth $40-50 by itself if it's in NM condition and that may be the most valuable card in the pack unless the Prince card is also in there (maybe another $40-50 card). In a real auction they might sell for $20-35 each if the scans show them to be in nice shape. Most cards in the set go for $1-3 each in lots. I remember Maria Muldaur, Nicolette Larson, and Ashford & Simpson so I might go $3-6 on those and other artists I recognize.

Jess

quote:
Promo pack #2. Who knows how many were released to get the 87 cards out.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
The price just dropped from $149.00 down to $99.00. I’m sure because of the interest I’ve stirred up over the past couple days. Still not interested.

Please read my post under the one you quoted. Thanks.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have just recently come across some of these cards in my own collection. A mere 16 all numbered below #32 with 7 small and 9 larger cards. I have had them for some years and I have only recently re-discovered them. The re-opening of this thread has prompted me to look at them more closely. What I find interesting about them is that they are described as Warner Bros Pop and Rock on the web-site that Cecil provides a link to yet some of the backs of the cards show Island Records with their logo and not all Warner Bros cards show the same logo i.e. Reprise Records as on # 17 Neil Young which shows Neil Young & Crazy Horse on the back but only depicts him on the front.

Also card #20 shows the Gibson Brothers, sadly Patrick Francfort one of the trio died in April 2020 of Covid-19.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

The header card refers to the set as "Warner Bros. Records Baseball Cards." Warner Bros. has been the parent company of Reprise since the 60's but Island Records was a separate company at the time so an Island Records artist in a Warner Bros. promo set is hard to explain at this point.

In any case they are interesting cards providing a snapshot of part of the music business in 1979 with established acts, promising newcomers, and future stars. Bonnie Raitt was still one of the new kids and it was apparently a time before Prince had money for shirts.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
I have just recently come across some of these cards in my own collection. A mere 16 all numbered below #32 with 7 small and 9 larger cards. I have had them for some years and I have only recently re-discovered them. The re-opening of this thread has prompted me to look at them more closely. What I find interesting about them is that they are described as Warner Bros Pop and Rock on the web-site that Cecil provides a link to yet some of the backs of the cards show Island Records with their logo and not all Warner Bros cards show the same logo i.e. Reprise Records as on # 17 Neil Young which shows Neil Young & Crazy Horse on the back but only depicts him on the front.

Also card #20 shows the Gibson Brothers, sadly Patrick Francfort one of the trio died in April 2020 of Covid-19.

regards

John