Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    HELP! DC Cosmic Cards "3D" Promos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! DC Cosmic Cards "3D" Promos
 Login/Join

Picture of Chrillips
posted
Hey, I'm new here and was referred to this by Jeff Allender (nlists.com guy).
Iam a huge collector of 1991/92 DC Cosmic Cards by Impel. II have just about everything for it, minus a couple random things, and am trying to finish out the set.
In doing so, I've come across a couple of bizarre "promo" cards.
I've been told that they are dealer incentives, and am taking that with a bag of salt.
The "promos" are "3D" cards: They are multi-layered, using at least 3 cards in a Frankenstein manner and creating layers so that it appears 3D. They come in slim hinged card cases.
I have 2 now: Geo-Force & Golden Age Flash.
Here's what I am looking for: Are they real?
Hoping somebody out there knows anything about these "3D Promos" and whether I should bother when the next one comes up.
Please Help! Thanks!
(P.S.- I can take pics and post them this weekend if needed)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chrillips,

-eBay Seller ID: Randomcarrot
Want List in "Interests" in Profile.

Posts: 20 | Location: Sandy Eggo | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I know the exact kinds of cards you're talking about, and I don't think they are "real" as in made by Impel, but rather they are custom jobs made by a creative dealer.

I've seen them made for several other cards over the years (including Marvel cards) and they are pretty neat, especially when well made. A lot of craftsmanship goes into them.

There's a DC promo super collector who I believe chimes in here from time to time with the board name "Thoughtofyou13times" (pretty memorable). Maybe he can weigh in on these. If they're official Impel promos after all, you can be sure he has them or at least knows about them. He has an amazing collection.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chrillips:
(P.S.- I can take pics and post them this weekend if needed)

I'd like to see them, I've collecting promos for 21 years and I never seen any DC promos like that. They sound cool, even if they are homemade.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chrillips
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20 | Location: Sandy Eggo | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. These aren't any promos that I know about, but they are neat.

By the way, Welcome to Card Talk. Wave

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chrillips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Oder:
Thanks for the pictures. These aren't any promos that I know about, but they are neat.

By the way, Welcome to Card Talk. Wave

Thanks and Thanks Smile

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
They are pretty cool looking. I agree they look like a custom job. They aren't listed in the Encyclopedia of Non-Sport Cards either. Where did you get the ones that you have?

Check out my blog at Card Crazy

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chrillips
posted Hide Post
I agree that they seem to be Custom. The spacers used are different between the two, and the styles are different. But I got them from 2 totally different people. Maybe they had the same idea (entirely possible), or somebody out there made a few and successfully started a rumor.
I got them on eBay. Bought each one that I have seen. Just seems odd that dealers claim to have received these prior to the set's release.
I'm toying with the idea of trying to make one of my own, but using a Hologram (was thinking Lobo or the The Flash.)

Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
These remind me of what Fleer did with the 1991-1992 Basketball cards.

It was called 1991-1992 Fleer Acrylic 3D Wrapper Redemption.

"When 10 1991-92 Fleer wrappers were submitted with a $5.00 fee Fleer would hand create an acrylic 3D replica of the actual card available in packs of your choice."

Got some of this info from here: http://mjcards-zinger82.blogsp...ylic-3d-wrapper.html

My memory is not what it used to be, but I seem to recall they also wanted you to send them 3 examples of the card you wanted done from the '91 Fleer basketball set. I'll have to see if I can find a wax pack in my collection to check. There were 2 series, and I don't recall the offer being on the 2nd. Really wish I had done this with the Jordan basic card, I thought it was just junk at the time, as they printed a ton of the basic cards.

Also have seen some Skybox NBA cards done like this too, so they may have had an outside company doing them, and this is maybe why these DC cards were made.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chrillips
posted Hide Post
That's awesome!
Thrilled to hear that there's a chance that these are legit!
Granted, I never saw such an offer on the wrappers or box of the cards, but now I'm chomping at the bit to re-check them out. I'm currently on vacation, and 400 miles from my collection Smile
Thank you for this info!!! Think you might've made my day! Smile