Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    sandman silver foil death promo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sandman silver foil death promo
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It ended up selling at the starting price. I couldn't find an autograph on it either. PCE2008 listed it as being signed by both Gaiman and McKean but didn't note it as framed. It might have been one of those things where you could get unsigned ones or stand in line for signed and numbered ones.

Does it look custom framed or is it that metal frame other Skybox 4-card sheets were sometimes inside?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
That sheet is definitely worth the price !

It does not appear to be signed. Maybe I am wrong.

My framed version is definitely signed.

Posts: 4387 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess or David

I could not find it which is not unusual for me if it was a US seller. Can you please post a link now that it is finished,

thanks

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here it is. The buyer got a good deal !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
So it is considered difficult to get and has been kept in perfect condition for all these years and it sells for $15 to the only person intrested. Makes you think.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, it is shocking, isn't it ?

Sometimes ultra-rare promos show up on ebay, and people just miss them. That has happened to me many times.

There are several things which I have been looking for, myself, for years which slipped through the cracks.

Earth Tribe 5 card set from the 2000 San Diego Comic Con; I still don't have all of these, and yet a set showed up on ebay around 2012 and sold for a mere $ 20.

Blue Angels (Sterling, 1991) I still need 1 of the 20 promos in this set. The one I am missing popped up on ebay maybe 7-8 years ago and sold for a mere $ 3 or 4.

In both cases, I saw them after the fact.

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David

Many thanks for the link.

regards

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John, if you email me, I might be able to forward you a photo of the framed, signed version which I have, for you to post here.

Only if you want to.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I note that David Polis posted this here on Card Talk back in 2014, regarding the Sandman sheet:

"I did get a special framed one that was limited to /25. It has matching numbers for the /4444 promo sheet, /250 S1 signed by Neil Gaiman with an embossed Skybox stamp, one silver Despair promo and a plaque saying "In Appreciation of a Great 1993 and anticipation of a 'Super' 1994! Skybox International 16/25".

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed that a silver, signed (by Neil Gaiman) Destiny prototype sold on ebay 2 months ago for $ 100.

Guess people are still interested in the Sandman cards, 25 years later !

Posts: 4004 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
That limited card was not in perfect or even great condition. At least two corners were soft, showing edge wear with a dog ear bend on each corner.

If I do sell something I have a double of, I note the condition in the listing as being not near mint and I ALWAYS list it with a HUGE discount from what I think the card is worth had it been at least near mint. This would have been a $100+ promo sheet but for the obvious imperfections. I think it sold for what it should have and the seller recognized the poor shape of his sheet. Condition, at least to me, is critical. I have passed on several cards in the last few years that I am missing, because of their less than collectible shape.

The unsigned sheet I own is in mint condition as are 99.999% of the cards in my collection.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Yes, I would agree that the less-than NM condition of the card kept it from a sniper shootout late. I considered bidding on it because it is such a rare sighting but there are other cards I'm considering. This is the kind of promo that could have gone for $100 these days with all the Sandman and general Gaiman fans out there as well as all the promo collectors.

I have some less-than NM cards in my collection especially in the case of something like a 20 card promo set that was available 1 per videocassette or similar distribution. I could wait another twenty years to see if I can "fill the straight" with high quality cards but sometimes I don't mind getting the whole set in one shot even if I can see some creases and rough corners on some of the cards as long as they're priced accordingly. I would agree that 15-20% of the NM-MT value is a realistic starting price for a bumped and bent yet rare card.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
That limited card was not in perfect or even great condition. At least two corners were soft, showing edge wear with a dog ear bend on each corner.

If I do sell something I have a double of, I note the condition in the listing as being not near mint and I ALWAYS list it with a HUGE discount from what I think the card is worth had it been at least near mint. This would have been a $100+ promo sheet but for the obvious imperfections. I think it sold for what it should have and the seller recognized the poor shape of his sheet. Condition, at least to me, is critical. I have passed on several cards in the last few years that I am missing, because of their less than collectible shape.

The unsigned sheet I own is in mint condition as are 99.999% of the cards in my collection.

Posts: 4387 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Personally, I never pass on a card I’m looking for because of condition as I’d rather have it than not (upgrading later if necessary). Now, I certainly won’t pay a premium price for something that’s beat up, but if I can get it at a fair price (based on what I think is fair) then it’s seems, at least to me, counterproductive not to fill the hole in my collection. Generally speaking, while I certainly prefer “mint stuff” I really don’t get all that hung up on it - especially for some of the older stuff I collect. I mean, it’s not worth the extra cost (to me) to get pristine cards that are 80 to 100 years old (or older in some cases with some of tobacco cards). Besides, something like the 1940 Superman Gum set, which I’m very close to completing, I’m ok with the cards showing some age and/or wear...I think it’s kind of neat to know that someone owned them long before me that didn’t think it was necessary to keep them in a safe deposit box for the past 80 years. That they’re even still available amazes me. My point being that I collect for my own enjoyment, not potential resale value, ROI, bragging rights, or other such considerations.

Posts: 286 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:
Personally, I never pass on a card I’m looking for because of condition as I’d rather have it than not (upgrading later if necessary). I mean, it’s not worth the extra cost (to me) to get pristine cards that are 80 to 100 years old (or older in some cases with some of tobacco cards).

I agree that condition on a 100 year old card is not as important as with a 30 year old card.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed that the silver Sandman prototype which sold on ebay in Oct for $ 100, was not one of the 3 different ones signed in red by Gaiman, the so-called "official" ones discussed in another post.

It appears to have been signed in silver or blank ink, from what I can tell.

Here it is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandm...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 4004 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's hard to read the card numbers but I think this is a 6-card sheet not listed in PCE2008:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYBO...rksid=p2047675.l2557