Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    SIMPSONS DOWNUNDER RARE SAMPLE BARTARANG
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIMPSONS DOWNUNDER RARE SAMPLE BARTARANG
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Cool!

I can't seem to find the listing for the Bartarang. How much are they selling it for?

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just as the cards are from Down Under so is the auction. It's $3K and there's a separate listing for a prototype version of the Bartarang which I don't recall hearing about.

A few other cards are listed. I'd like to get the binder card (numbered out of 500) but the asking price is steep for that kind of thing. I understand the rarity and legion of Simpsons collectors but nobody has jumped on it yet. I know a Barbie (Tempo) binder card (also numbered out of 500) went for $10-15 last year while also recognizing a Simpsons one would go for a lot more than that in a well-worded, multi-day auction. As a longtime Simpsons collector, how would you value that?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Cool!

I can't seem to find the listing for the Bartarang. How much are they selling it for?

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I sold my extra Sample versions of the Binder card for about $100 back in 2012 and for $171 in 2009.

As far as the actual numbered version, I sold #055 for $132.50 in 2010 and #222 for $92 in 2009. I sold another numbered one a few years earlier, but I can't find the price on that one. I feel like it was something similar.

As I mentioned, the one in my PC has the matching serial number to the other insert sets, and as I recall, the seller of that set didn't even mention that nifty feature. I was delighted, especially since I bought that lot so long ago, the cards hadn't yet reached today's lofty value. Shipping to and from Australia was very inexpensive, too, back then.

I still have one sample version single and the uncut sheet with it, too, but I might part with those one day, not being the completionist I once was.

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What are they asking for the binder card, by the way?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's at $200 in Australian dollars so it might not be out of the question relative to your previous sales. It hasn't sold, however.

By the way I found the auctions by googling "bartarang."

Jess

quote:
What are they asking for the binder card, by the way?

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Below is a scan of the front and back of the sample variant of the binder card, SDBC1 - one of a 12 card set of chase cards sent to some dealers. It's still unclear how many of the sample cards exist but it appears to be within 100-200. On the back the sample is stamped "Sample Card Not For Resale" and is not serial-numbered (hard to read in the scan). The actual binder card is serial-numbered out of 500 and does not say it's a sample. The binder card was given out only with the first 500 binders sold (or were there only 500 binders made?).

Edit: Number of serial-numbered binder cards corrected as per Chesspieceface below and what it says on the card. It's the Bartarang card that's numbered out of 50.

quote:
I'm pretty sure the Sample Bartarang would now sell for over $200 by itself, given my experience with it, so you made great buys on that pair of sample sets, no doubt. The 3 card Redemption Sample set could be worth nearly as much as the Bartarang, same goes for the sample Binder card. The Homer As sample set must be worth at least $50, maybe more. It all adds up to a nice number.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a sample version of the "Bart 1" Bartarang card:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The regular binder card, SDBC1, is serial-numbered out of 500. As I recall, 1,000 binders were made, but only the first 500 sold included the card.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard if that Bartarang had sold or if any other redemption cards have sold?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a shot of the actual Bartarang prototype. I wished I could say I own it - just found the photo among other card-related photos. The prototype was painted by an indigenous Australian artist from the Northern Territory and served as the model for the 6 Bartarangs that ended up being made. I assume they made them based on the redemption cards received by a certain date so that means there are 44 other redemption cards out in collections and unopened packs.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Bartarang sample card sold for $ 800 !

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, just that card? There are 11 other cards in the sample set. I think the last set sale I heard of (years ago) was about $200.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
A Bartarang sample card sold for $ 800 !