Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Spawn Wizard Card (1992 Diamond variant)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spawn Wizard Card (1992 Diamond variant)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Anyone ever see this variant on the 1992 Spawn Wizard card ? Only 100 made of the Diamond version. This is one of the elusive ones that has been on my wantlist for 20 years. Here's an auction, but the seller wants $ 300 for it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-S...&hash=item3f17cb6723

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did have a couple extra's, but have traded them off. It's hard to find, but it's not worth what they are asking. One of the one's I had come from ebay for 30 dollars.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John, is yours signed ? The one on ebay now is signed by Todd McFarlane with a silver marker across the front

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
No, none of them were signed at time of issue.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
John beat me to that, but no none of them came signed. Makes me wonder if the card is signed (meaning the seal is broken/tampered) or the case? lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't have PCE in front of me, and haven't looked up the Wizard cards in it in awhile, but I think Todd says that the one limited to 100 is signed. I could be wrong.

Jake, do you have an extra of this card for me ? Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
It does not say it was signed in the PCE.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Did you guys notice that the seller is in Indonesia. I would tread very carefully before making an offer. But this is a very nice card. Mine is not signed. I don't know of any that were signed.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
I did notice where it was located. I would not pay that much to start with, but the card does look legit. If the auto is on the case and not the card I think it up's the value. The signature looks OK also.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If he was asking $100 for it, I'd probably buy it. But not $ 300. I do not have this card, signed or unsigned.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
An unsigned Diamond version sold the other day on ebay for $90. This is the one limited to 100

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
An unsigned Diamond version sold the other day on ebay for $90. This is the one limited to 100

That means you have one in your collection now?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of these sold for just $41.05 (6 bids) on 5-3-20. That seems low to me. Maybe if word had gotten around, it would have gone for more.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
theres on up on there right now.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,

Yeah, there's one for $400 and an autographed one for $1300. You had the value as "ND" ("Not Determined" for the new kids) in PCE2008 but I think it was about $100 at the time - maybe $125 - or do you think it was more than that in 2007-2008 but you didn't get a solid figure? The card might have been worth more in the late 90's. A 100-card print run and Spawn were bigger deals back then.

I don't think the autographed one really carries a big premium. As a rule, the average card collector prefers to have cards not meant to be signed to be left unsigned and this is especially the case with promo collectors. The exception would be if you're the one who got it signed in person. If the signature can be authenticated, it might be worth 25% more than the value of the card. Again, I'm thinking maybe $125 for a max value.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
theres on up on there right now.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Jess, you just reminded me how much I dislike pricing cards. It was always the worst part of assembliNg info for PCE.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

"As a rule, the average card collector prefers to have cards not meant to be signed to be left unsigned and this is especially the case with promo collectors."

Excellent point Catskilleagle! Personally, unless the promo card was issued also as a limited signed variant or distributed exclusively as a signed promo card, I don't particularly seek out signed promo cards. Over the years, I have discovered additional promo cards, not listed in PCE, that seem to have been been variants, probably convention exclusives, that are signed and numbered out of --/xx. Those, I cherish.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see one of these available for $799 but willing to entertain offers.

Another seller wants $2199.99 firm for a signed one.

I haven't seen one of these sell in a while and it would be interesting to see what would happen in a real auction. Back in the 90's to early 2000's, a print run of 500 sounded low. A promo with a print run of 1000 could became hard to find back then. These days, a print run of 500 seems like a lot and I have seen cards with a print run of under 100 go unsold.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
You can probably throw sales data outta the window with this guy. McFarlane remains extremely popular. People just paid huge amounts in massive numbers for his signature through a signing organized by CGC, who then certified and graded the comics (and trading cards) that he signed. It's difficult to even value his original art, since so little of it changes hands, at least publicly. I sold a cloth wall tapestry of his Spider-Man from about 20 years ago, MSRP $20, for $100+ earlier this year. His trading cards from Comic Images, made in the late 80s when he actually worked at Marvel, are now great sellers.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see the one up for auction for $ 799 now. Has it been confirmed that only 100 were made ? Are they numbered?

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post