Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1993-1994 Jockey Star Cards promos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1993-1994 Jockey Star Cards promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Any idea as to how many different ones there are ? I have seen

Jerry Bailey
Pat Day
New York Triple Crown
Steve Cauthen
Chris McCarron

These actually may be for 2 different sets,

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Yes, the "Chris McCarron," "Pat Day" and "Steve Cauthen" cards would go with the 1993 regular set and the "1993 Triple Crown Jockeys" and "Jerry Bailey" cards would go with the 1994 one. Here are some details:

n.n. "Chris McCarron"; back notes that McCarron was the national spokesman for Jockey Trading Cards.
n.n. "Pat Day"; inserted in specially-marked cases of Pepsi; promotes the horse racing card set; dated 1993
n.n. "Steve Cauthen"; given out only at Turfway Park; dated 1993
n.n. "1993 Triple Crown Jockeys"; back says it was given out at Saratoga Racecourse in July 1994 and was part of a trading card promotion; dated 1994
n.n. "Jerry Bailey"; promotes an upcoming Jockey Star Cards and Pepsi co-promotion; dated 1994.

There is also the numbered 4-card promo set

1 "Man 'o War"
2 "Eddie Arcaro"
3 "Woody Stephen"
4 "America's Turf Authority Daily Racing Form 1894 1994"; the back says it is also a coupon; it's also the only one with a date - says the coupon expires November 1, 1993.

There is also a 3-card set dated 1993 titled "Turfway Park" that was given out in a specially-printed envelope:

1 "Turfway Park"
2 "Lil E. Tee"
3 "Barn Dance Boogie"

I have also seen cello-packs of 1993 base cards being sold as promo packs or sets.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Any idea as to how many different ones there are ? I have seen

Jerry Bailey
Pat Day
New York Triple Crown
Steve Cauthen
Chris McCarron

These actually may be for 2 different sets,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
and what IS the name of that set? Daily Racing Form? Jockey Star Cards? Jockey Trading Cards? Horse Star Cards?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
and how about the Cigar set? 10 cards in a cello-pack in 1996. Would you consider those part of this series?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they say "Daily Racing Form" on the back but that may have been just meant to be part of a back illustration rather than the title of the promo set. However, maybe for the purposes of PCE, you should list the 4 card set and the Chris McCarron card under the title, "Daily Racing Form," since they all have that on the back. Horse Star Cards is the maker/publisher. I guess you could group all the 1993 promos under the title, "Jockey Star Cards" since that is the name of the series.

The company made cards across the 90's so the regular packs were selling for a while but I think the last series was released in 1999. There must have been a decline in sales up to that time.

The card below is the header of an 8-card set, "Del Mar Thoroughbred Club," put out by Horse Star Cards (1998). It provides background on an annual horseracing event in California that started in 1991. The other seven cards each discuss the winning horses from 1991 through 1997.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
and what IS the name of that set? Daily Racing Form? Jockey Star Cards? Jockey Trading Cards? Horse Star Cards?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,

That seems to be a separate set though there was also a 10-card Cigar set in its own cello-pack the following year. That one has been identified as an update set that was sold separately from the 1997 set. I have always heard that the 1996 cello-pack was promo.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
and how about the Cigar set? 10 cards in a cello-pack in 1996. Would you consider those part of this series?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's what might be the oldest promo card from Horse Star Cards Inc. It's dated 1991 and honors legendary jockey, Willy Shoemaker. It doesn't look like like a promo at first glance. You have to read the back text to see it's a "promotional card."

It was an uncommon find for years but still cheap ($3-5) but I see some for sale now even cheaper. It appears the sellers don't know it's a promo.