Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Tough to Complete Recent Promo Sets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tough to Complete Recent Promo Sets
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I didn't even attempt that Twilight (movie) Pepsi card set from a year or two back. That was the one which only ran for a few weeks. You had to get a code from the Pepsi cans, enter them on the website, and then Pepsi would send you packs of random, unnumbered cards

Nobody seems to know how many cards there are in the set--20, 25, maybe more ? I passed on these, as you had to rely on what Pepsi mailed to you. And when you see these on ebay, people want big bucks for SINGLE cards, $10-20 each. Too much for me !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
The deluge of promo cards for recent sets have stopped me from collecting the sets themselves, since I consider all promos as part of the set. I was enthusiastic about American Horror Story at first, but have now lost all interest in it completely. I just don't have the energy anymore to track all those cards down.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought the recent Bettie Page set was nice but there were way too many promos. I thought it was cool that NSU could benefit from the number of possible promos in that one issue but it's tough to buy enough issues to have a chance at even most of them. I did buy two issues at a Books-A-Million to see if I could get two different cards but got the same one. I might still buy another issue or two.

Jess

One of the others is an exclusive to a publication (high-end art magazine?) you had to buy.

I've gotten to the point that if I have one or two of a large set, I don't need to track down the rest.

I think you can have a bunch of different promos but you can't go overboard on the number and/or the difficulty or you turn collectors off as evidenced in part by this thread. If you have nine different ones made up of show exclusives, an NSU exclusive, and maybe one harder-to-get card, I think that might be a good limit.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I didn't even attempt that Twilight (movie) Pepsi card set from a year or two back. That was the one which only ran for a few weeks. You had to get a code from the Pepsi cans, enter them on the website, and then Pepsi would send you packs of random, unnumbered cards

Nobody seems to know how many cards there are in the set--20, 25, maybe more ? I passed on these, as you had to rely on what Pepsi mailed to you. And when you see these on ebay, people want big bucks for SINGLE cards, $10-20 each. Too much for me !

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

Never heard of it. My girls are Twilight fans and I'm a big Pepsi fan. Don't know how this got by us.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
The deluge of promo cards for recent sets have stopped me from collecting the sets themselves, since I consider all promos as part of the set. I was enthusiastic about American Horror Story at first, but have now lost all interest in it completely. I just don't have the energy anymore to track all those cards down.

I agree. Base set first followed by promos. Then the simple chase sets. And then, maybe some of the tougher cards.

For Marvel sets, I've been collecting base, promo, chase sets, and 1 sketch card. Passing on the tougher cards.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Twilight Pepsi cards, they are pretty much identical to the packs given out at SDCC and other shows a few years back, which you can see all over ebay, in fact I believe all of these cards were done by the same co.

BUT the Pepsi ones have different images than the SDCC and other con cards, and are much tougher to find. I don't have them.

Like I said, the way to get them was to enter the code thru the Pepsi website, and you'd get a pack in the mail. But you needed a ton of packs to get a set, and they only sent you 1 pack, I think. Plus the offer only ran a few weeks, and then it was over !

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post