Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
1988 Grande Illusions promo

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/3267095276

September 09, 2014, 05:47 PM
David R
1988 Grande Illusions promo
Jeff Allendar's website lists card #62 from this 1988 set as a promo

Does anyone have more info on this ? A scan ?
September 09, 2014, 07:02 PM
promoking
The front has a picture of a guy dressed in a devil suit and the back says "congratulations, you have found card #62...."

September 09, 2014, 07:11 PM
David R
Why does Jeff consider this to be a promo ?

I see "sets" of 65 on ebay, but from what I see the true set consists of 66 cards= cards 1-60, autograph 61, "promo" 62, and 4 advertisement cards, so I wonder what is missing from these auctions
September 09, 2014, 08:15 PM
promoking
I believe because the actual set that could be purchased is numbered thru card #60 with an additional autographed card. Since I got my card individually as the promo, I don't really know if it is actually inserted in the set but the information on the card itself is clearly promotional and talks about where to write to purchase the set etc...

April 11, 2015, 06:44 PM
catskilleagle
David,

I think this card was handed out at shows by the owner (or a representative) of the card company. It might have been mentioned in an article in one of the trading card magazines in the mid-90's. I recall there was an article on promos in Collect and maybe one in Cards Illustrated. I might still have those issues in a box somewhere.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Jeff Allendar's website lists card #62 from this 1988 set as a promo

Does anyone have more info on this ? A scan ?

April 13, 2015, 12:04 PM
David R
Does anyone have one of these cards that they'd like to part with ?

I saw one as part of a set of 65 on ebay, but the seller wanted like $ 200 for it all. I just want the promo, not the whole set
August 09, 2020, 03:57 PM
pcetodd
Card 62 may have been handed out at some trade shows that Imagine set up at, but I know for a FACT it was given out at the Fantacon in 1988 in Albany NY because I was there. They gave them out to people who went to a Tom Savini special effects demonstration.
October 10, 2020, 03:27 PM
catskilleagle
Hi Todd,

One thing we should be clear about is that the #62 promo was never inserted with the factory set. It was only given out at shows and maybe only those of the northeast. That's why it can be hard to find now. The set was 60 numbered cards available with or without the #61 autograph card plus four other cards that are unnumbered. They could be called promos because they promote various products with one actually promoting a separate company, Fantaco, but they are like the extra Zombie War cards you noted in another thread in that you could only get those cards with the set and could be considered part of the base set. The Fantaco card might have been otherwise available but I've seen it only associated with this set.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
Card 62 may have been handed out at some trade shows that Imagine set up at, but I know for a FACT it was given out at the Fantacon in 1988 in Albany NY because I was there. They gave them out to people who went to a Tom Savini special effects demonstration.

October 10, 2020, 03:58 PM
catskilleagle
Hi David,

If you haven't found the #62 promo yet, you should be able to find it cheaper. It has been offered for sale by itself for $75-100 and one or two have sold in that range in the past couple of years. Sellers also offer various combinations of the 1-60 card base set, the #61 autograph, the #62 promo and one or all four extra unnumbered cards that came with the set. Prices can be all over the place, but if you watch for auctions including the base set, you can find it for less. I've seen lots that included the #62 go for $40-50 just in the past couple of months.

Jess

quote:
Does anyone have one of these cards that they'd like to part with ?

I saw one as part of a set of 65 on ebay, but the seller wanted like $ 200 for it all. I just want the promo, not the whole set

October 10, 2020, 05:02 PM
David R
I found the promo on Ebay about 2 or 3 years ago. The auction included the base set of cards and the 62
I think it went for 25 bucks
July 08, 2021, 09:27 PM
catskilleagle
I just saw that one of these sold as part of a lot for only $2.20. Someone got a huge deal on that one.
April 28, 2022, 02:27 AM
catskilleagle
Here's the promo:

May 04, 2022, 12:35 AM
cardscout182
Ok, if anyone has a spare of this card 62, hit me up..!! Bouncey Elephant
May 05, 2022, 05:15 PM
David R
Two "sets" sold recently on ebay, one for $ 70.00, and neither had the card # 62, from what I can see.
May 06, 2022, 12:29 AM
catskilleagle
I see two sets with three ad cards (no autograph, no promo) have sold for $14.99 with one bid (4-20-22) and a BIN for $20 (2-17-22).

I see the $70 sale. That one had the autographed card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22494...rksid=p2047675.l2557

quote:
Two "sets" sold recently on ebay, one for $ 70.00, and neither had the card # 62, from what I can see.