Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Dynamite Trading Card Mystery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dynamite Trading Card Mystery
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for help with these. Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks!

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Scholastic Inc. was (is?) a book publishing company that markets through schools. A few times a year, they would send out flyers with dozens of paperback books, and you'd place an order and they'd be delivered to the class room a few weeks later.
In the 1970s they started a magazine called Dynamite. It usually had a TV star on the front cover, and inside would be games, jokes, activities, and other stuff of interest to adolescents. A few issues had sheets of trading cards bound in. Mostly, they were parody cards like the ones you showed, but I think there were a couple of issues that had samples of Topps Baseball cards for the year.

These magazines show up for sale on Ebay from time to time. If you buy any, be sure to check for all the inserts.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bill Mullins, you are faster than me and you answered it more fully than I would have. I remember "Dynamite" magazine but I ordered other things through Scholastic ("Dinosaurs and More Dinosaurs" and a book about oddities in nature, the title escaping me now). I think Scholastic is still around. One of its better-known series is "Goosebumps" from the 90's.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Scholastic Inc. was (is?) a book publishing company that markets through schools. A few times a year, they would send out flyers with dozens of paperback books, and you'd place an order and they'd be delivered to the class room a few weeks later.
In the 1970s they started a magazine called Dynamite. It usually had a TV star on the front cover, and inside would be games, jokes, activities, and other stuff of interest to adolescents. A few issues had sheets of trading cards bound in. Mostly, they were parody cards like the ones you showed, but I think there were a couple of issues that had samples of Topps Baseball cards for the year.

These magazines show up for sale on Ebay from time to time. If you buy any, be sure to check for all the inserts.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post