Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Most Wanted Promos of 1996
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Wanted Promos of 1996
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
One of the cards I never see for sale is the Stargate promo inserted in the Collect magazine. I'm referring to the one whose back says COLLECT rather than Tuff-Stuff in the lower left hand corner. I see a ton of the latter but never of the former.

The last one sold for $80.00 many years ago on Ebay and I'm willing to bet that the scarcer version would easily go for more than $100.00 today if collectors knew it existed. Neither Fran nor Bill had one in their collections. Strange. If my memory serves me, It was David who bought the last one I saw for sale in the early 2000s. Am I right David?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Albert,

Yes, I definitely have that Stargate one, However, I have no recollection as to where I obtained it.

I just looked at PCE regarding the Avengers B8 and B9. I did not remember that they came in both numbered and unnumbered versions. One was numbered to 100, one to 10. I am 99 % certain that I don't have either. I'm pretty sure mine are both unnumbered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

I should clarify. When originally released, there were only stamped versions of A0, A7, B8, and B9. I saw unstamped versions of A0 and B9 (and have a B9) but I haven't seen unstamped versions of A7 and B8, the two numbered out of 100. The unstamped versions appeared on the market only after Cornerstone went out of business.

I've never seen black-and-white backs of the Series 2 promos. Interesting. I have seen blank-backed versions of Series 2 cards but wasn't sure whether they were pack-pulled error versions of base cards. So you're saying the only blank-backed cards are the ones with the promo fronts?

It was sometime last year or the year before that at least one Ebay seller was trying to get $40-50 for a blank-backed Series 2 card. That seemed high and I've seen sellers trying to get $25-30 for just one of the more common of the Series 2 promos and that might be about the value.

I should add that Series 2 promos are definitely uncommon while the ones for the third series, "The Avengers Return" might be considered common. The first series promos are certainly the rarest. I haven't seen one sell in years. I have just three of those while having all but one of the Series 2 promos.

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Good afternoon

None of my Avengers promos A1-A9, B1-B9 and C1-C3 have been stamped with a number. I also have B1, B4 (Patrick MacNee with Aeroplane), B5 (Diana Rigg in pose), B6, B7 all with backs showing only the black and white text along with the picture i.e. no blue or red text. In addition also have B4 (Patrick Macnee portrait) with a blank back.

regards

John

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Wolfie,

That's a good question. I would say there are definitely more unstamped versions of A0 and B9 and perhaps more B9's than A0's just based on what I've seen personally. I would also say that there aren't a lot of them - perhaps some number less than 100 of each because you could get them for a short while and then they were hard to find. The unstamped B9 seems to pop up every once in a while.

The stamped versions would be worth more as those are the original promos. There are only 10 stamped A0's and 10 B9's. The unstamped ones must've been on the same sheet and were cut but not distributed. They must've been just sitting in a box in storage until after the company shut down.

Yeah, I would be happy with just an unstamped one too.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hi Wolfie,

I've seen an A0 not stamped but have never seen a stamped one. In fact I had never even seen a photo of a stamped version of any of the promos until just now. The A7 and A0 were the stamped ones for Series 1. The B8 and B9 were the stamped ones in Series 2.

My A0, B8 and B9 do not have a stamp on the back which brings up the next question, how many unstamped ones are out there? Also is a stamped one worth more than an unstamped one and would you pay more for one. I don't think i would pay a lot more just for a stamp.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I have seen blank-backed versions of Series 2 cards but wasn't sure whether they were pack-pulled error versions of base cards. So you're saying the only blank-backed cards are the ones with the promo fronts?

In addition to having a full set of the 12 B promos for series 2 i also have a full set of the 12 with blank backs and a few more with only the character printed on the backs.

I'm not certain but i think i must have got these from Glenn when he was selling off the Cornerstone inventory.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

In addition to having a full set of the 12 B promos for series 2 i also have a full set of the 12 with blank backs and a few more with only the character printed on the backs.

I'm not certain but i think i must have got these from Glenn when he was selling off the Cornerstone inventory.

Wolfie and Jess

I believe that my B promo variants probably came from Glenn but I believe the other promos came from someone else as I acquired all three Cornerstone sets as well as the A, B and C promos in a non Cornerstone binder from a US seller several years ago.

Wolfie

You sent me a comment about it at the time.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie and John,

Yeah, anything weird from Cornerstone after it shut down most likely came from Glenn or from someone who got it from Glenn. He had some great stuff.

It's tough to put values on cards that haven't sold publicly in a while. PCE2008 reported that B1-B7, including the variants of B4 and B5, were printed on the same sheet in the same quantity. There was a time when some people thought two of the variants were rarer than the other two and that there were lower resolution variants of at least some of the cards but PCE2008 debunked that. It did seem to me that the B4 (Steed with the toy airplane) and the B5 (Emma on horseback) were rarer than the other two when I was buying and trading those in the late 90's-early 2000's.

Last night, I did see an unstamped B7 on an uncut sheet of Series 2 promos. I would think the uncut sheet is worth more now intact than if it was cut up for the singles.

Jess

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I've just found an uncut sheet i didn't know i had.

It has 6 cards on it and is blank on the back

it has....A0, A7, A8, A8, A9, A9.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Wolfie,
That's a fantastic find!!! leave that one to me in your will please.
Thanks.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember buying the unreleased Rolling Stones promos from Glenn many years ago, for the Cornerstone set which never saw the light of day.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Glenn gave me one of those cards just before he moved on to other things. That's another set you just don't see anymore.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I remember buying the unreleased Rolling Stones promos from Glenn many years ago, for the Cornerstone set which never saw the light of day.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A seller has been trying to get about $300 for an unstamped Avengers in Color B9. The auction title says it's "1 of 10." Either that person doesn't know that the stamped, serial-numbered variant is 1 of 10 and the one being sold is more numerous unstamped one or that person is trying to pass his off as the rare one. In either case, let the buyer beware.

quote:
Albert,

Yes, I definitely have that Stargate one, However, I have no recollection as to where I obtained it.

I just looked at PCE regarding the Avengers B8 and B9. I did not remember that they came in both numbered and unnumbered versions. One was numbered to 100, one to 10. I am 99 % certain that I don't have either. I'm pretty sure mine are both unnumbered.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the only Avengers promo which I have stamped is the A7 which has 76 on it

How often do any of the stamped Avengers promos come up for sale ?

Has anyone seen the ones stamped to 10 ?

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the only Avengers promo which I have stamped is the A7 which has 76 on it

you never see the stamped versions come up for sale but i have seen the versions with the stamp on them

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've just heard of one sale that had happened years before. I assume anyone who got one of those is a serious Avengers collector and it's not leaving until his heirs have it.

quote:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This link no longer works.

quote:
In case you are wondering what a serially numbered Avengers A7 looks like, see here. This person had # 81/100

He also claims to have an A0, but I do not believe it is in the scan

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...e-avengers-720645514