Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Last Action Hero, 1993 Topps comic card ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Action Hero, 1993 Topps comic card ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Saw "you know where" a Last Action Hero card # 4 of 9, does not appear to be part of the regular card set itself, at least it's not on the checklist.

It is by Topps, shows a photo of a gal with a gun, and the back talks about Topps comics

Were there Topps comics with cards in them for this Schwarzenegger film ? I don't recall them back in 1993...

Yes, I know there was a common promo for this set that showed the movie poster, but this is not the same card

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

I hadn't seen or heard of of it before either. The listing did say it was "unreleased." I would assume that while it's numbered as if it were part of a 9 card set, it might be a one card set. It could be a prototype for a proposed comic book insert set like the Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park Raptor, Dracula, and Ray Bradbury sets. It could be something that was sold in a Topps Vault auction or leaked out through a Topps employee.

I don't recall any comic-inserted promos for this movie.

In any case somebody must have bought it. Congratulations to whoever that was.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I can explain the mystery of the 4 of 9 card. First, I actually have 6 of cards numbered 1 of 9 thru 6 of 9. I purchased them several years ago and have spent a fair amount of time since trying to find the final 3 that I need. I decided to make one last effort to find an answer before I posted this message. Long story short, Topps planned a comic book series and indicated that each issue would have 3 special trading cards. There's just one problem, I can find no record that any of the comic books were actually published. Here is the site where I found an explanation that makes perfect sense (retrodaze.org/site/article/id/9475). Basically the movie apparently tanked and Topps cancelled the comic book. It appears that some or all of the cards had already been printed and mine must have come from someone
within Topps who had access to a few of the cards. So you can take your pick, either all of the remaining cards were destroyed or the majority of them are still in the Topps vault and may or may not ever see daylight.

I would really like to know if anyone else actually has any of these cards because it's hard for me to believe that I have the only cards that are out there.

Posts: 30 | Location: OKLAHOMA CITY, OK | Registered: May 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. Please post photos of what you have.

Did you find them at a show? Lucky flea market find? Are people still dumpster diving behind Topps?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by kyfhomp:
I think I can explain the mystery of the 4 of 9 card. First, I actually have 6 of cards numbered 1 of 9 thru 6 of 9. I purchased them several years ago and have spent a fair amount of time since trying to find the final 3 that I need. I decided to make one last effort to find an answer before I posted this message. Long story short, Topps planned a comic book series and indicated that each issue would have 3 special trading cards. There's just one problem, I can find no record that any of the comic books were actually published. Here is the site where I found an explanation that makes perfect sense (retrodaze.org/site/article/id/9475). Basically the movie apparently tanked and Topps cancelled the comic book. It appears that some or all of the cards had already been printed and mine must have come from someone
within Topps who had access to a few of the cards. So you can take your pick, either all of the remaining cards were destroyed or the majority of them are still in the Topps vault and may or may not ever see daylight.

I would really like to know if anyone else actually has any of these cards because it's hard for me to believe that I have the only cards that are out there.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If you ever saw Last Action Hero, you'd know why any planned cards or comics were ditched. Big Grin

There aren't many reasonably well budgeted movies with big name actors that are bad from beginning to end, but not so funny bad that you can't even enjoy how bad it is. Last Action Hero is one of those. The 1998 Avengers with Fiennes and Thurman is another one that comes to mind.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
The card set came out. It's the cards that were supposed to come with the comics that didn't come out because the comic didn't come out.
On comicartfans.com, search for Last Action Hero and you'll see a couple of pages by Rich Buckler for the proposed comic. On facebook, there's a cover by Jerome K. Moore.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
The card set came out. It's the cards that were supposed to come with the comics that didn't come out because the comic didn't come out.
On comicartfans.com, search for Last Action Hero and you'll see a couple of pages by Rich Buckler for the proposed comic. On facebook, there's a cover by Jerome K. Moore.

Yes you are correct. The set came out in 1993 same time as the film and, as befitting the period, there really was nothing you would call a premium hit in it. The whole thing is worth under $10 today and has been largely forgotten as a title.

I was talking more about what was planned after the movie became a hit and perhaps had sequels, which of course didn't happen. Again, watch it to figure out why. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

If you ever saw Last Action Hero, you'd know why any planned cards or comics were ditched. Big Grin

Can't agree there, i thought it was great. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kyfhomp,
That is some honest to goodness sleuthing on your part. Well, the truth is that I was the one that found these #4 cards and have never seen them for sale again. I bought all 8 the seller had when I found them, I think back in 1999. afterwards, some of you on this board bought a few from me and I traded some. I have no idea how these were distributed but Kypfhomp's explanation makes perfect sense.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kyfhomp, I sent you an email the other day. Not sure if you received it. Please contact me

mistermycroft@msn.com

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the card:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kyfhomp, can you show us what cards 1 to 6 look like ?

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
yes please! What do they look like?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post