Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1993 Wizard Card--Does This Exist ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1993 Wizard Card--Does This Exist ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I thought that I had all of the 1992-1994 Wizard magazine cards, the gold, slabbed variants sent to dealers and stores

On Series 2, PCE lists gold versions of BOTH the Youngblood home and away team cards.

I have a bunch of the slabbed away teams, but none of the gold, slabbed HOME team card. Does it really exist ? I have the regular (non gold) home team card only

Posts: 4719 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
David, it does exist, I have quite a few over the years.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How come I have seen (and have) a bunch of the gold, slabbed away team, but not the home team ?

Anyone have one they'd like to part with ?

Also, anyone see the Series 3 Ripclaw with the silver stripe, as opposed to the white stripe ?

Posts: 4719 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Some cards in the book listed from the very beginning may have little pieces of mis-info. Since PCE's first issue, I had to retype the thing 3 or 4 times due to changing computers or programs, and not being able to port over the info. I can not say for sure if that one exists or got mixed up in a move. Probably the latter.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I at one point has the silver stripe, but someone must have asked me for it.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ten years later and speaking of rare Wizard promos...here's one I haven't seen before and it's not listed in PCE2008. It's one from the Wizard Image Series (1992). Todd listed a red foil border card which was the one inserted with the magazine. He also listed a gold foil card that was sealed in a plastic case and sent to dealers. It appears that there's a third one not listed in PCE2008. It's a silver foil card sealed in plastic.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Even after giving away most of my promo cards I still have a bunch left.
Here's my entire collection of Wizard cards.
Ain't they purty?

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no matter what you do as a promo card collector of any level, you get at least of few of these Wizard cards as extras in trades or lots. I have some from magazine issues and a few of the sealed and slabbed cards picked up over the years but I haven't really tried to track down any of them. There are still collectors who hunt for the rare, odd variants that were little-known in the 90's and the Holly Daye silver foil card is apparently one of those.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another undocumented Wizard card variant. PCE2008 lists a card, "The Spirit" with red foil lettering which was inserted with "Wizard: The 100 Most Collectible Comics," a special issue of the monthly magazine. It also lists a gold foil variant of the card sealed in a plastic case which was sent to dealers who ordered a certain number of copies. The unlisted one has gold foil but it's also signed by Will Eisner and hand-numbered out of 1000 and sealed in a plastic case. The odd thing about that is the seal is serial numbered like the other sealed gold foil card so the signed cards are apparently not from a separate printing.

It must've been a separate promotion - maybe announced/explained in that magazine issue. Signing and numbering 1000 cards seems like a lot.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just saw that the silver border "Holly Daze" sealed card shown above did sell today - Best Offer accepted somewhere under $249.99 so I'm figuring maybe $220-225?