Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Speed Racer Promo Card Question

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/2757078336

October 01, 2013, 11:39 PM
Nonsports
Speed Racer Promo Card Question
Hi all. I have a set of 4 Speed Racer promo cards from the set issued in 1993. However, they are all black-bordered cards and the backs say "Speed Racer Adventure 1" through "Speed Racer Adventure 4".

Anyone recall where/how these were issued?

Thanks very much.
October 02, 2013, 07:49 AM
aeolus14ummbra
I'd have to see a picture of the cards to be 100% sure, but I believe those were included with (and produced by) Now Comics.
November 25, 2016, 11:46 PM
catskilleagle
I've seen Speed Racer Adventure 8 so I assume there are at least 8 total. I'm pretty sure they were inserted with a VHS edition of the TV series with the title of the card on the bottom of the card back corresponding to the episode title.

quote:
Originally posted by Nonsports:
Hi all. I have a set of 4 Speed Racer promo cards from the set issued in 1993. However, they are all black-bordered cards and the backs say "Speed Racer Adventure 1" through "Speed Racer Adventure 4".

Anyone recall where/how these were issued?

Thanks very much.

November 25, 2016, 11:57 PM
promoking
Right on Catskilleagle! I recently acquired the 20 card Johnny Lightning 20 mini card set for Speed Racer. Tough bugger to find.

November 28, 2016, 10:27 AM
David R
Wow, I have never heard of these VHS cards

The comic inserts and promos P1 to P3 have white borders, and the 1993 card set itself has blue borders

Do you have scans of the VHS cards to post ?
November 28, 2016, 05:58 PM
catskilleagle
David,

Yeah, I confirmed that there was an edition of the VHS version of the Speed Racer TV episodes that had exclusive cards inserted. There was a sticker on the front of the shrink-wrap that said "Collectible card inside" or something like that. These black-border cards are from Prime Time Productions (1993) like the P1-P3 cards. I saw on the "bay" that someone was selling a group of VHS tapes with one black-border card said to have come from one of them.

It's another example of stumbling onto previously-unknown promos while looking for something else.

I'll try to get a couple of scans.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Wow, I have never heard of these VHS cards

The comic inserts and promos P1 to P3 have white borders, and the 1993 card set itself has blue borders

Do you have scans of the VHS cards to post ?

November 28, 2016, 06:04 PM
catskilleagle
Promoking,

Getting a handle on Johnny Lightning cards is big project itself within the search for oddball pre-2009 promos. I have found some others as scattered singles rather than lots or sets. At flea markets I sometimes find unopened packages of the cars and cards. I'm getting a list together along with the other promos I've found this year and will update my listings after the holidays.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Right on Catskilleagle! I recently acquired the 20 card Johnny Lightning 20 mini card set for Speed Racer. Tough bugger to find.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
November 29, 2016, 11:15 AM
David R
Jess, after you posted on this I did a completed auction search and I did see the VHS tapes and the auction did have 1 black card

First time I've ever seen one !

So you're saying there are at least 8 diff ?

Did they come 1 per VHS tape ?
December 01, 2016, 08:23 PM
promoking
I have the first 4 black border ones. I am unsure if there are 8 altogether or just those 4. Imagine, 3 of the most advanced promo card collectors: David R; myself and Catskilleagle and none of us can answer this question on a 24 year old card set. Tough hobby to be in gentlemen. Shake Head

December 02, 2016, 12:22 PM
David R
Albert, did you see the 1 recent auction with the VHS tapes and the card ?

is that card 1 of the 4 that you have ?

Do a completed auction search of Speed Racer VHS and you will see a scan of it. They show the front of the card only, not the back
December 03, 2016, 03:31 AM
promoking
That is the first card, even though it is numbered 3. The others are 4,5 and 6. One of the images does show the back too.

December 04, 2016, 02:31 AM
catskilleagle
David,

I have seen 1-6 and 8. Yes, they did come 1 per video.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Jess, after you posted on this I did a completed auction search and I did see the VHS tapes and the auction did have 1 black card

First time I've ever seen one !

So you're saying there are at least 8 diff ?

Did they come 1 per VHS tape ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
December 04, 2016, 02:56 AM
catskilleagle
Promoking,

I'm away on business so I can't dig those out but I have a listing of these:

Speed Racer (1993) Prime Time Productions. - additions
Adventure 1 "The Great Plan"
Adventure 2 "The Secret Engine"
Adventure 3 "The Fastest Car on Earth"
Adventure 4 "Race Against Time"
Adventure 5 "Crash in The Jungle"
Adventure 6 "The Desperate Desert Race"
Adventure 7 [unknown - exists?]
Adventure 8 "The Royal Racer"

Right, add it to the list of mystery promos. This was a case where I bought what I could even though the condition wasn't the greatest. Todd has a lot of stuff I haven't seen before, so when I see something Todd didn't list, I assume it's out there in terms of obscurity.

My brothers and I used to watch the reruns back in the 70's so it was a fun find for me.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I have the first 4 black border ones. I am unsure if there are 8 altogether or just those 4. Imagine, 3 of the most advanced promo card collectors: David R; myself and Catskilleagle and none of us can answer this question on a 24 year old card set. Tough hobby to be in gentlemen. Shake Head

December 13, 2016, 12:07 PM
David R
I just picked up the VHS card # 3 on ebay. Wish I could find the others. Never knew these existed !
September 04, 2019, 10:51 PM
dpolis
Hi,

I have spares #2 and 3. I am willing to trade 1 for 1 for any past 5. So, 6, 7, 8.

I see 12 different VHS tapes of the same type, but I don't know if any after 8 had cards offered with them.

Thanks,
David

September 07, 2019, 12:56 AM
catskilleagle
Hi David,

In the nearly three years since my last post in this thread I have still not seen a card higher than 8.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by dpolis:
Hi,

I have spares #2 and 3. I am willing to trade 1 for 1 for any past 5. So, 6, 7, 8.

I see 12 different VHS tapes of the same type, but I don't know if any after 8 had cards offered with them.

Thanks,
David

September 25, 2019, 06:44 PM
Tommy C
Assuming that card # 7 exists, it is probably Girl Daredevil, as that is VHS # 7

I see on ebay now a sealed VHS # 4 with the card
October 10, 2020, 01:41 PM
pcetodd
There's three up there now, one auction. $15. Its tempting. But I only need one so I can scan it.
October 28, 2020, 10:16 PM
David R
There were cards # 2 and 7 on ebay in mid-October, and they sold for $ 10 each or less

So now we can confirm that Card 7 is "Girl Daredevil"
November 02, 2020, 03:26 AM
catskilleagle
Here's the front and back of card #1: